Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you know what they say about the best laid plans.

My son and wife were going to join me for opening day. My son was very excited about going. 8:30pm he started throwing up. He was more upset about not getting to go then being sick. My wife stayed home with him and even had me sleep in a seperate room so I would not get sick.

4:00am rolled around early and myself and the puppy Bella now 20 months old headed out for the dark canoe ride.

I enjoy hunting alone I shoot beter and everything happens at your own pace. Its enjoyable to let the birds work and sometimes just pass a shot to see how it works out so I was fine being alone on the opener.

It was 27 degrees when I slipped the canoe in the water and I could not use a light because with the fog off the water it was imposible to see. Without a light there was enough light from the stars to navigate by memory for the tree line on the shore. In addition, there was just enough light to see the waters reflection infront of me and see any logs in time.

We didn't have any extra time this morning decoys set climbed up on shore pulled the canoe in and sat down. A quick check of the time and I was 3 minutes late ;) Teal were working all over and it was no time before they were to close to shoot :lol:

I really enjoyed the hunt. Passing on the mallards because I couldn't make out color in the first light. Shooting teal as the screamed in head on. Bella worked well and was a joy to hunt with today. 3 BWT 2 GWT, a drake Mallard, and one goose out of a group of 18 that decoyed perfectly. Did I mention it was enjoyable. 40 minutes and it was all over even with letting some birds land just for the fun of it. The dog really hates that :evil:

Saw, GWT, BWT, Widgon, Mallards, Blacks, Ringers, Hoodies, and Woodies.

Did I mention it was fun... :hide:

I figured I would post up even though I didnt have many pics since some of you must be dieing down in the south zone.

I wasn't the only hunter out today!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
our location is actually listed look to the right of my name. I live on Lake Gogebic. There are a few of us in the western up. Where are you at?

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
great stuff brandon. I can appreciate everything u described....hunting solo is one of the best things a man can do i think...nothing beats it. Sure its fun to have friends with you but when u get a solo goin on you just appreciate every bird that decoys all that much more.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great hunt brandon, sounds picture perfect!!
Like the Shiawassee Kid said there is something to be said about those solo hunts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome story! As a LP'er, I cannot wait for next weekend! I am glad that I am going out of town on business this week - it will limit the amount of gear checking, re-checking, and last minute dog training that I can do.

One of my best hunts ever was solo. It was also the scariest - got stuck mid-thigh in muck while retrieving my first-ever double (no dog at that time - I know better now), and worked for over a half an hour to get out - soaking myself in the process.

For those of you who hunt alone, make sure someone knows where you are, and when to come looking for you. That hand drawn map may save your life...

John

·
Banned
252 Posts
Awesome story! As a LP'er, I cannot wait for next weekend! I am glad that I am going out of town on business this week - it will limit the amount of gear checking, re-checking, and last minute dog training that I can do.

One of my best hunts ever was solo. It was also the scariest - got stuck mid-thigh in muck while retrieving my first-ever double (no dog at that time - I know better now), and worked for over a half an hour to get out - soaking myself in the process.

For those of you who hunt alone, make sure someone knows where you are, and when to come looking for you. That hand drawn map may save your life...

John

that's excellent advice. i have a giant map on the wall downstairs and i always put a colored pin in it before i leave the house and tell my wife about it and about how long i should be gone...and be sure to take a charged-up cell phone (although coverage can be iffy).

·
Registered
774 Posts
love it! i am hoping my opener goes half that well. have a private pond to hunt but haven't watched it lately to see what kind of action it's seeing.

my best hunt ever was by myself. 06-07 season, the late two-day. shot a mallard limit by 8:00 new years morning.. awesome hunt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts