Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a chance to post this yet, but I was able to take a real trophy with the Mathews on the first day of my hunt last Monday.

I wasn't able to get out on the first morning of my 234 hunt, but my friend Tom and I planned on heading out for a few hours in the afternoon...can't miss an opening day you know! After getting my son on the bus at noon, we headed out to one of my friend's spots where he had spotted a couple birds while on his way over to my house.

We packed up all our gear and grabbed my new full strut decoy and a couple hens, then headed out along the edge of the cut cornfield. After getting everything set up and situated in the Matrix, I started with some loud yelps (it was pretty windy)on my Jeff Fredrick custom mouth call, hoping to coax in the two gobblers that my friend had seen earlier.

It wasn't even a half hour later and my friend spots the two birds working their way in to the decoys, coming in just like they are on a string! I didn't even have time to get the rangefinder out and they were in bow range, so we both got the bows ready and hoped for a double. Tom had his Guillotine arrow on, and with the strong winds and the birds starting to turn to the side at about 28 yards, he decided not to take the shot. I had the Rage 3-blade on and ready to go, so I drew back and put the pin on the second bird...the closest to us now. The arrow flew true (even in the strong crosswinds) and struck the bird just a hair low and back on the quartering away bird. After a couple cartwheels he flew a short distance and landed out in the field...but was he going to go down? After a minute he decided to take off flying...and turkey bowhunter's nightmare. We watched where he entered the woods and decided to back out and let him be for a couple hours just to be safe. I eventually went back and was able to find him, not even 40 yards into the woods from where we saw him fly. I picked him up and brought him back out to the field to look him over, and when rolling him over I thought "wow, his beard is all messed up." After looking a little closer I couldn't believe what I saw......a DOUBLE BEARD...SWEET!!! At that point I was just thankful I was able to find him and didn't get too excited about it, but later on I was like wow...that is a real trophy!

Anyway, he was sporting 10" and 9 3/4" beards, both spurs were exactly 1" long, and he weighed in right around 21 lbs. I shot him with my Mathews Ovation and a Carbon Express Maxima 350 tipped with a Rage 3-blade mechanical head, which made a HUGE hole in him!

Taking a bird like this is definitely a first for me, and I am fortunate to have gotten him with archery equipment. Like I've said many times before, bowhunting gobblers is an awesome rush and I think everyone should give it a try sometime in their turkey hunting careers!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice going Ack!!

Congratulations.

Looks like all that studying of shot placement paid off for you!!;)

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Awesome!!!! Nice job Ack! Any turkey with a bow is a trophy but that there is a TRUE TROPHY!! Nice double beard!

Congrats ...."You the MAN!!" :D:D

-Bob:)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
That is awesome... chalk another up for the bowhunters :).... i liked my almost 13 in beard but a double beard is one heck of a trophy if you ask me... you just dont see them that often... one thing i liked about turkey hunting is you dont really look at the beard that much.. u just look and see if it is a long beard your not really trying to judge how long it really is so it makes it that much more of a suprise when you finally get to look him over.... Awesome bird and yes that is a major major rush.. glad you were able to find your bird... congrats again on an awesome trophy. what are you going to get done with him if you dont mine me asking? i was going to get it mounted until i found out how expensive they were... so i got everything on a plack.... wings, tail, fan, beard and the spur/leg is going to be just the spurs sort of a european mount only with just the spurs being black... looked kind of cool... WOOOOO HOOOOOO im ready for next year!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
sweet looking double beard!

nice bird, congrats on the hunt.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Very nice, your hunting skills have to be at a higher level to take one with a bow. Congratulations!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Nice bird and a great story. Which full strut decoy did you buy. I just picked up the pretty boy and have heard good things about it.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chuckinduck said:
Nice bird and a great story. Which full strut decoy did you buy. I just picked up the pretty boy and have heard good things about it.
I have a "dressed up" Buckwing strutting decoy which has a real fan, real wings and legs, and some feathers on it also. I will try to post some pics here in a day or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts