Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All the years of waiting have finally payed off. I put in for the Newberry Unit first hunt and was successful with 8 points. This was my first ever bear hunt and attempt at baiting bears. To say I spent hours of time reading, researching, and watching videos, and asking questions would be an understatement. This forum and all you guys here played a role in my successful hunt.
I purchased my baits as soon as I drew my tag and starting baiting as soon as allowed. I had bears on my bait regularly about 5 days after I starting baiting. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire process and learned a lot along the way.
I sat all day opening day and this bear showed up in the evening. He spent about 5 minutes on the bait before he was positioned for a good shot. I returned to camp where I found my dad anxiously awaiting my arrival having heard the shot. We geared up and headed back to the stand to find the bear. He went about 40 yards; of course into the thickest and nastiest cover. Dad and I spent the next few hours on cloud 9 getting him out of the woods, dressed out, and on ice. What an awesome and fun experience. To make it even better, I harvested the bear on my grandfather's property out of his camp. This camp is a special place and holds a lot of memories throughout the years. This is where I learned to hunt and the love of the outdoors all started. Gramp's has been gone for years now, but I'm pretty sure he was there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Nice job. Congratulations

Reactions: zep02

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Kool story.. Gotta be rewarding learning and it paying off first night..

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Way to go. Nice bear, and nice rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts