Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to see some Opening Day pics so I'm starting a thread early. Please feel free to post your Opener pics here. Good luck guys !!

I'll start things out with a pic from last year's opener. Phil, Kenny and I each kept 4 for dinner (except for the big one Phil mounted) from this spot as we planned to fish another spot later in the day.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Geeze! That's a catch!

Here's one from later in the year. The opener up here is usually pretty slow!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"If the water is high and colored, as is commonly found, the fish will be in feeding lanes or runs. In low water these areas may only be a foot or two deep, but with the increased volume of stream-flow along with the increased turbidity of the current, trout will gather in these select areas, especially if the current is broken or slowed by some bottom dwelling obstruction such as a large boulder. Trout will lie in the quiet water behind the boulder and gobble any passing morsel. Bait, such as garden hackle, minnows, and spawn bags are best used under such conditions." - Milton F. Whitmore Opening Day Trout Tips

Phil, Kenny, and I were able to pull a few out of the stream this Opener. Some Highlights: Phil hooked a NICE steelie that broke him off after a few runs, jumps, rolls, and thrashes (we all caught a couple of baby river-born steelies around 7-9"). We saw three deer. I probably outfished Phil and Kenny combined as far as numbers. Phil caught the biggest brown at 15 1/2". No brookies caught. I caught the smallest trout of the day at around 5". We each caught only a few planter browns each (all around 8 1/2"). We each caught and successful released a LOT of trout. We only had to keep a half dozen "bleeders" between three of us. We only kept 10 fish for three fishermen. Phil took the four largest browns (13 1/2" - 15 1/2") for dinner, and I took the six smaller ones (10 1/2" - 13")- Kenny just likes to catch them. Had a great day!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The digital pic of our catch this year wasn't of the greatest quality and doesn't show how pretty these brown trout can be. So here's a pic of Phil with his mounter from last year.

We've all caught much bigger browns on bigger streams, on the surf, and while trolling the Big Lake, but for where we fish the Opener, this is a BIG trout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts