Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the stats. 4 scorable points on the left hand side. Almost five if you count the G4 that was barely formed. The right side was broken off just past the brow tine. So, it could have had 8 or 9 scorable points, prior to breaking its main beam. He was a fighter! Dressed weight was 140lbs. Very respectable buck for state land in Kalkaska county. I’ve hunted there since I was 14 and I’m 39 now. I’ve shot my share of smaller bucks and does over the years with my bow, but never shot a buck with my rifle, until now. Between my brother and I, we have seen a lot of nice bucks on this land over the years and he had taken a few very nice 8 pointers. I had just never connected on a mature buck. Mature up there anyhow is 2.5yrs old!
Not much of a story to this one really. At 6:30, I heard a truck drive up and come down the private drive, just adjacent to the state land I was on. I’m pretty sure whoever this was did not have permission to hunt this land, so I was a little miffed about that. Then, around 7:30 a shot rang out just a couple hundred yards from me. I’m sure it was the guy that came up the private drive an hour earlier. I was pretty bummed, as I figured he had gotten a nice one (antler restrictions this year) and probably wasn’t even supposed to be there. At about 8:15 I could hear a deer coming up the hill which leads down to a beaver pond. As soon as he crested the hill at 50yds, I cocked the hammer on my Model 94, .32 Winchester Special that used to be my dad’s when he was a kid. When I did that, he froze. His head was behind a tree and his hind quarter was behind another tree, so I had a fairly small window to shoot. I saw the broken rack when he came up out of the swamp, but I didn’t care. Opportunities like this don’t happen very often up there. I pulled the trigger and he ran about 30yds and stopped. He was struggling, but I loaded another shell and shot again. He dropped right there. Turns out my first shot was a little high and back. Second shot was right through the boiler maker.
My brother, who was probably close to a mile away, heard me shoot and texted me to find out if it was me. He told me he wanted good photos and not to gut him yet until we met back at the cottage after his morning hunt. I dragged him out by myself and loaded him into the truck. When he got back, we celebrated my first Michigan rifle buck and took some photos. Great memories to be shared with my brother. Unfortunately, it would be the last time we shared hunting memories as he was killed later that night when he rolled his truck after hitting a patch of ice while out for a nighttime ride. He was my hunting buddy and deer season will never be the same again. I’m glad I got to share his last hunt with him and our last meal together was the fresh tenderloins from my deer. How cool is that? He will be greatly missed by all.

Attachments

·
Registered
556 Posts
great buck there, very sorry to hear about your brother, was not expecting to read that, i miss going to the taffletown bar and deer hunting up there
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great buck man. A real good story too. Sorry abouy your loss, what a lasting memory you'll have of your brother though and that broken rack will always make ya think of him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. I am glad you got one last hunt with him and that is a hell of a buck. Cherish that memory forever . Prayers sent to your family.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So sorry for your loss. He is always with you as you have many good memories of him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So sorry for your loss and my condolence to you and your family. Memories will last for ever.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congradulations on a fine Buck , Iam very sorry to hear about your Brother . I also hunt in Kalkaska maybe if you get up there you can call and we could meet for coffee or a cold one . Sory for your loss Jim Orman 313-475-1972

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's a great buck for this region. I hunt the same area or region on Federal land also. Because of time constraints - work and family - I have taken to rifle hunting more these last few years. Honestly I really enjoy it. I enjoy the knock down power of my 7 mm magnum and go at the deer sky high in my tree climber. This technique seems to work effectively for this area.

As the previous reply indicated this story did not end the way I anticipated. I cant imagine the sadness you must feel. I can tell by your writing you have the skills to cope with this loss and are searching for something good out of a dire situation.

Good luck and maybe sometime I will see you in the big woods of N. MI

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nice buck and very unexpected ending to your story. I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't want to get too emotional on here since this is a hunting forum, but it's been a very tough week for the family and I. All your well wishes are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Prayers sent for you and your family during this difficult time. You'll cherish the memories of that hunt/deer forever.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Very sorry to hear that , cant imagine the emotions you went thru with all that, memories you always have !!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts