Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this guy around 9:30 this morning. I hunt in a thick creek bottom, he came through about a half hour after being shot on the neighboring property, he was hit, but too far forward and all the vitals were missed. I got a shot at him after seeing him go through the brush for about 15 minutes before he got in the clear, didn't even know he had been hit earlier. He is about 13 inches inside, about 18 inch main beams, 5.5 to 6 inch brow tines, 8 inch g2's, and 7 inch g3's. He was aged at 2.5 years old.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Nice deer. Great symmetry. Congrats. John-Ypsi

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. To add a little more to the story, after I shot him, the neighbor who had shot him came over. We looked over his hit, and couldn't decide whether or not he had hit any vitals or not, I didn't really think he did since I shot it a half hour later and it hadn't even bedded down yet, and I didn't even know it was hit. I would have hated to have shot this buck thought I had got it, and then found out the the neighbor had a legitimate shot on him first. To make sure we decided to cut him open to see what had happened with his shot on the inside. Upon doing so, we saw that he had missed the vitals completely, and didn't even break the deers leg, but basically just punched a hole through him. I thought that he may have died, just not sure where or when, so after a long discussion trying to figure out who would be taking him home I ended up with him. I felt bad for the neighbor, but if he had hit the vitals I would have given him up. Talk about a hard thing to do, two hunters out in the woods (both being excellent sportsmen, no argueing etc. just trying to figure out who was most deserving of this buck) knowing that one was going home with a smile and one kicking himself. The ironic thing about it all is that last year on opening day the same guy shot a nice six point in the morning, he gut shot that buck and later kicked him up 6 hours later while going out to lunch, I also shot that buck and killed him not knowing he had previously been hit. Again, he came over, looked at the deer, and congratulated me and headed off to lunch. Earlier this year I saw him out at the road during bow season and talked to him saying now this year, don't go shooting any deer and having them come over to me. Guess he didn't listen. The joys of hunting such fragmented property. Well this is the last year he will be hunting on his property so next year perhaps I won't run into this again. However, you never know with so many hunters in such a small area. After I put this buck down, the other guy who shot it and two others came over to see what he was, nice huh. Well here is another pic.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Buktruk
Its good to here a story to go with a good looking buck like that.
A story that worked out well by 2 cooperating sportsman.
To many stories would have turn ugly, unlike yours.
Congrats on your opening day again.

Wally

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, now hopefully I can get another chance at a very similar 9 point I missed on Nov. 12 with my bow (choke).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts