Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Open water scaup rig-drakes

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Cork Dust 
#1 ·
Bird Vertebrate Beak Grey Feather
Terrestrial animal Wood Natural material Soil Livestock

Half of the drakes I finally finished to replace some Smyser corks I sold. These are made to float with minimal ice-buildup on Great Lakes waters and afford maximum visibility.
Goldens Heavy Matte acrylics; basswood tailboards and tupelo heads, sealed with thinned epoxy.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#11 ·
It was built by one of the pair-of-hands guys at their shop, constructed of oak and cherry with douglas fir slatting, all from the scrap lumber pile held together with four different star drive and square drive screws. It took me nearly two hours to tear it down in the parking lot of the veterinary clinic where my wife works, all during a really nice steady snowfall! The shipper told me I would save some money by having it delivered to a commercial address. Consequently, I had to break it down completely via hand tools and slide the cover in the truck, along with the lumber. The driver announced that he would only help me get it to the back of the trailer and that I was on my own from there. He stayed true to his word, too, bless his fat lazy a$$!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.