Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've got an empty seat for tomorrow, lower lake, chasing perch if anyone is interested. Planning on heading out early afternoon till nightfall or limit. Boats at Michigan Harbor by 9 mile. We've been relatively successful (considering this year's troubles), finding them everywhere between 12 to 21 ft. We rarely mark them on the graph and instead have to sit and draw the schools in. This may be our own SNAFU though because I see plenty of people talking about marking them all over the damn place. We're still getting used to the new finder.

No limits yet, but close to, with 18 average fish per person between 9 - 12", plenty of sorting in the meantime. Haven't had any trouble with minnows despite the motley assortment of sizes we've been getting. Can't believe the size minnow these perch will hit! The 8 inchers will not shy away from a minnow half their size, so we've been cutting them in half as to not run out.

A high pressure system is building up in the morn but the highs have not seemed to slow the fish down. Should be a good day if the wind lays off.

Take care and tight lines!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Hey all,

I've got an empty seat for tomorrow, lower lake, chasing perch if anyone is interested. Planning on heading out early afternoon till nightfall or limit. Boats at Michigan Harbor by 9 mile. We've been relatively successful (considering this year's troubles), finding them everywhere between 12 to 21 ft. We rarely mark them on the graph and instead have to sit and draw the schools in. This may be our own SNAFU though because I see plenty of people talking about marking them all over the damn place. We're still getting used to the new finder.

No limits yet, but close to, with 18 average fish per person between 9 - 12", plenty of sorting in the meantime. Haven't had any trouble with minnows despite the motley assortment of sizes we've been getting. Can't believe the size minnow these perch will hit! The 8 inchers will not shy away from a minnow half their size, so we've been cutting them in half as to not run out.

A high pressure system is building up in the morn but the highs have not seemed to slow the fish down. Should be a good day if the wind lays off.

Just a comment about the minnow size Caspar. At times I was amazed at the small size minnows that large perch took. I guess they figure, what the hell, easy picking's. And I agree on small perch biting on minnows almost half their size. No way can they swallow some of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a comment about the minnow size Caspar. At times I was amazed at the small size minnows that large perch took. I guess they figure, what the hell, easy picking's. And I agree on small perch biting on minnows almost half their size. No way can they swallow some of them.
Agreed! Some of the biggest perch I've seen this year hit the smallest minnies I've seen this year. That's why I haven't complained about the minnow sizes. Hell, having the mix allows me to throw whatever they seem to want at em.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be out early up on the northern end of the lake. In fact next three days we will be hunting the perch
I've been interested in heading up that way to hit the channels. I want to explore the lower middle channel more - think those could be some solid perch waters. Good luck out there and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been interested in heading up that way to hit the channels. I want to explore the lower middle channel more - think those could be some solid perch waters. Good luck out there and let us know how you do.[/QUO
Hey all,

Wish I had seen this sooner, I would have loved to come up!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lines in at 8 first fish at 815. They bit til 1030 then quit. 16 keepers, these were some of the nicest fish kept so far this fall but still lots of throwbacks. Only going to keep getting better. North end, anchor bay, find a weed bed you will find perch. Will post a pic later.
Minnies on bottom and sinker hooks. Cut up the big minnies, they wanted the head section this am. Heading back out at 3 to check the afternoon bite.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Lines in at 8 first fish at 815. They bit til 1030 then quit. 16 keepers, these were some of the nicest fish kept so far this fall but still lots of throwbacks. Only going to keep getting better. North end, anchor bay, find a weed bed you will find perch. Will post a pic later.
Minnies on bottom and sinker hooks. Cut up the big minnies, they wanted the head section this am. Heading back out at 3 to check the afternoon bite.
Water wasn't too dirty from all the wind I take it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can definately see mud lines. We fished in the cleaner water. I believe it's going to lay down this afternoon. Real light bite this am, the guys who paid attention to their rods were the ones rewarded.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You can definately see mud lines. We fished in the cleaner water. I believe it's going to lay down this afternoon. Real light bite this am, the guys who paid attention to their rods were the ones rewarded.
Thanks for the report. Hope to give it a shot out of SANG for a bit tonight.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Hey all,

hey i keep a boat at michigan harbor also. hello neighbor. gonna head out in the am was gonna run to the hump but i suspect that side is gonna be mud now, im gonna stop at a few marks around the yacht clubs instead now. how did u do today out there. im by the service hoist in that marina

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Just curious, were you shallow or deep? I marked some decent weed pockets out in 15-16 feet in the deep center of Anchor Bay that I’ve been meaning to check how much they’ve died back. If I can’t get any predators fish out of them, spending an hour looking for perch might be in the cards.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I’m debating going out on the lake somewhere after perch if no luck may pull cranks for eyes, really want to go to Erie but buddies are all hunting not feeling fishing alone down there it will be busy since perch are firing up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey i keep a boat at michigan harbor also. hello neighbor. gonna head out in the am was gonna run to the hump but i suspect that side is gonna be mud now, im gonna stop at a few marks around the yacht clubs instead now. how did u do today out there. im by the service hoist in that marina
Howdy neighbor! I'm right by the hoist, as well. Can't remember the slip number, but when you're headed down the main drag after the gate that requires a pass, the first left; then about 5 slips in on the left on the proper dock. The only little Lund in the whole place. Btw, on the way out, I marked a large school of perch under the big yachts, south side of the main canal. Wonder if we can get away with goin after em. lol

First limit of the year, boys! Didn't get into em until about 1600 hrs, and it took about 8 - 10 moves to find em, but when I did it was hot. Was important to double hook my minnows. The bite usually determines which direction I double hook them, but after reading what Logburner reported, I decided to hook them from tail to head, leaving the head section dangling. Worked like a charm. 18 FOW, not far east of the GPYC. Some hogs, too. A lot of boats in the area, following each other around from spot to spot; not sure how they did. Nobody ever came to check out my action even though I was surrounded by about six gulls. lol

Had a muskie come up and hit a sheephead I had on the line, too. Scared the **** out of me. Shortly after, a cat made a mess of both my lines. A lot of action out there.

I'm considering heading out there again tomorrow... Hard to stay away at this point. Will post pictures before I clean em tomorrow morn.

Edit/PS: If I head out tomorrow, I'll have an open spot again. Was alone today, so I had to call it at 25. Would be open to someone fixing that. lol

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I’m debating where to go Sunday plus as of now I’m alone what’s the best ramp to launch near GpYC? Never fished that far south on lsc thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
We got another 14 keepers from 4PM til 530 this evening. We are fishing about 10 / 11 ft of water.

Going again in morning. Planning on north end but could make it GPYC area in 30 min. I'll post in morning when we are out. Also looking at sunday am. Planning on leaving the dock at 730AM.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’m debating where to go Sunday plus as of now I’m alone what’s the best ramp to launch near GpYC? Never fished that far south on lsc thanks
9 mile ramp is open. $10 to launch for non residents. Lakeside has great emeralds at 10 mile. Blossom Heath at 9 1/2 mile may let non residents launch for $10 as its off season.
All the non resident ramps to south end of Lake St Clair and upper Detroit river are pathetic. 9 Mile you walk 5 min to park and the ramp is so shallow pitched the front end of my trailer and truck muffler goes under water and watch for bolts on dock they can scratch your boat. Blossom Heath has no post to tie boat too. Best launch hate to say it is St Jean as DNR fixed it up around 2008 but that's really the Detroit river and to far to fish GPYC and that ramp is very steep.
I got my 25 Friday fished the Belle River Hump.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts