Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always amused whenever I go to the launch. Some people don't know to load/unload their boat, others find it nearly impossible to back a truck/trailer up straight. But the one thing that really makes laugh, is the people that forget to put their drainplug in, or lose it at the launch after they are done fishing. I have launched 5 times this year at the Crocker/Jefferson launch and I have found 2 drainplugs, witnessed the near sinking of a nice Lund, and one near miss of someone launching without their plug in. Funny stuff, mainly because it happens to someone else, not me. But seriously,why not replace the drainplug after the water has drained out right then? If your boat takes on more water than will drain out in a minute or so, you have problems that need to be addressed such as maybe installing an automatic bilge, or fixing a leak somewhere. I know some people are forced to store their boats outside or without a cover and need to leave the drainplug out, but maybe putting it on a keychain would help in remembering it is out.

P.S. Is brass going for almost as much per lb as copper, if so, what do you think I would get for the 2 brass screw in drainplugs I have found this year?:lol:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I don't mine back in until I get home but I check it about 50 times before putting the boat!;) I also have 2 in case I do lose one.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I've left mine out before. But hopefully that taught me the lesson and it won't happen again. The reason I leave mine out until the next time I launch is to allow rain water that may gather in the hull to drain off and not build up.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Last year my plug somehow got loose and came out while out on the river. My first time using the boat! Luckily I had a spare and now I have a rope tied to it.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
In the rare occasion I need to pull the plug, I attach it to the boat keys. That way, I'll know I have to re-install when I got to get the key.

BTW, the rain today stunk on ice. My son and I got blown off LSC.:(

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
haha this yr i was holding the boat while tightlines parked his truck...and pointed out to the guys backing down the next ramp...no plug plus trailer still strapped to the boat! what a combo...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
ggoblue said:
haha this yr i was holding the boat while tightlines parked his truck...and pointed out to the guys backing down the next ramp...no plug plus trailer still strapped to the boat! what a combo...
I just saw that yesterday at belleville too.:dizzy:

·
Registered
353 Posts
ggoblue said:
You know Ggblue some of us are not as experienced as you are and have trouble backing up a boat trailer and the only way that we are going to learn how to do it is by doing it. Perhaps instead of standing around making fun of somebody having trouble you could tactfully offer to help out. In that way the new boat owner could benefit from your years of experience loading and unloading boat trailers.

As far as forgetting to put the bilge plug in, I have seen boters with many years of experience do that. It's something that can happen to all of us when we get into too big a hurry to get the boat in the water. Perhaps you could let the owner know when you see him backing in without the bilge plug. It could happen to you to.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
lol when i was 16 i put the boat in ran out 2 miles started setting lines and realized the plug was back in the truck lol..it happens,,,,backing up a trailor takes practice and its funny to watch people that havent had practice...simple mistakes like that happen to every one and its good laugh about...

these things are allways funnier when it happens to some one else...even if you give a chuckle its better too say something to some one making a mistake then to say nothing at all...id still rather back up a semi then a damn 14 ft boat lol

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
i didnt make fun of anyone...i saved their butts...i then proceeded to tell them everyone does it...as for me i will never trust myself again...my plug is in permanently...because i guarantee i would forget it

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Just pulled up to the dock at the 10th street ramp on the black river when a 30 footer also came to the dock. He came on the downside current of the dock and kept getting sucked away from the dock. I would not have been able to hold him if I tried. After numorous efforts, I suggested he go on the other side, and the current would pin him to the dock. Nope, he continued his way. Will I help again? Two days later got my answer. Older gentleman and wife put boat in the water. LARGE outboard wouldn't start, gentleman becomes angry, storms to his truck and begins to pull out. Wife giving hand signals, which gentleman did not see. I yelled "whoa" as loud as I could, you guessed it, he forgot to raise the engine. He stopped just in time. He got out of the truck, raised the engine, gave no response to my "whoa" a pulled out. Will I help again if I can? Sure. But if someone yells "whoa" to me, I'll be sure to thank them.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hahahaha!these things are all very funny when they happen to other people. I laugh at some of the stuff i do /still do one thing i did right was practice backing my trailer around significantly before i went to the launch ,That is anyoing when you wait for someone to get the boat wet, all you need to do is practice even if it is in a parking lot somewhere or youre own driveway You paid for it why not use it on the trailer too?last year when i first took my brother out on the new boat we put the boat in he looked at me and says wow even the trailer floats good!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nicely said perchguy. That's what its all about, helping others out. With a four or five month boating season I'm sure there are lots of people that are rusty going out to the launch. Maybe I hang with dumb people (myself included) but I can't name any boater that has not forgoten to put in his drain plug at least once.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I agree with Perch guy. Gotta, help out if possible. Several times, I have actually backed someones trailer down in the slip for them-and showed 'em how to do it besides!

I hope if i need help. somebody lends a hand.

I will admit though, the annual launch ramp antics are fun to watch.

Jim

·
Registered
553 Posts
Due51 said:
In the rare occasion I need to pull the plug, I attach it to the boat keys. That way, I'll know I have to re-install when I got to get the key.

BTW, the rain today stunk on ice. My son and I got blown off LSC.:(
great idea, I am going to my boat to do that right now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts