Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trying my luck on a wolf hunt. I already have a place in mind, but looking from stories/information/thoughts from others who have hunted them in the past. If you have any pics, they would be cool as well. Thanks for any stories or information.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Buck, that topic came up this weekend. I havent hunted them but I am planning a trip next year. From what I understand, it's an $1800.00 fee. Meals, lodging, transportation on snowmoble. They bait them in large woodlots. They check for freash tracks, If there on the bait, they set up the shooters on the edges of the woods. The outfitter walks in on snowshoes. The wolfs gets pushed to the shooters. A friend of mine has harvested 3 of them. Thats how he tells me it goes down. I'm in and all for it!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have never gone, but have seen a little bit of information on wolf hunting. First was the way that would be expected, with a predator call this was unsucessful the time i seen it ( on t.v.) But the other way I seen it done seemed pretty cool to me. First they would put out the carcass of a deer ( or what ever would be available i would assume) and once a bait would become active they would take a hunter to a blind shortly before dark at night and have the hunter spend the night in a VERY nice blind. These blinds looked like kick ass tree houses, with heat, a bed, a small propane stove/bbq something like that. the hunter would then be in the blind come mornign for the hunt. This was quite a while ago that I seen this but i believe the main reason for doing this is saftey, instead of a hunter walking into the dark woods (that have wolfs very close by) by theself they are already in postion. I dont know how successful this strategy is or how often it is used but hopfully it can help you out a little. good luck and keep us all posted

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
The outfitter that I hunted bear with last year said he baits them out onto the ice on the lake.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The outfitter that I hunted bear with last year said he baits them out onto the ice on the lake.
I agree, I've seen packs hunt that way several times

We've been deer hunting NWO for about 10 yrs, we see wolves every year while deer hunting, the population is quite high right now.

Actually the locals use to be able to hunt wolves on a small game licence, now the MNR has made it a big $ hunt, locals aren't happy about it either. They make alot of $ from the deer hunting, and will shoot a wolf and let it lay.

Don't think you would need a outfitter to do a wolf hunt, if you went
across Ft. Francis and asked 10 farmers/landowners to hunt wolf,
you probably get permission from 15 people, because they would call
their friends to get you permission to hunt their place.

·
Banned
844 Posts
does anyone know how you cross back over the border with your kill? I just wondered if you could since they are protected here...should be able to, right?

A couple weeks ago, we went into a remote lake on the argos and upon exiting, a fairly large wolf had walked through our atv tracks.

I saw a couple dead in the back of a pickup last year as well. They are definitely up in population although I haven't seen one yet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This is not a cheap hunt. You will need a non-resident small game license at $99.25, a non-resident wolf game seal at $245.25, an export permit at $3.55, and fill out a CITES permit which is no cost. You have to go to the MNR for the export and CITES.

Bushwhacker

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
does anyone know how you cross back over the border with your kill? I just wondered if you could since they are protected here...should be able to, right?

A couple weeks ago, we went into a remote lake on the argos and upon exiting, a fairly large wolf had walked through our atv tracks.

I saw a couple dead in the back of a pickup last year as well. They are definitely up in population although I haven't seen one yet.

You have to purchase a export permit to bring them back i think its 35.00 the same as a deer.....We also go to NWO every year for whitetails and we spend less than 1200.00 on our hunt with tags and you can (at least as of last year) buy over the counter wolf tags they come as a pair for around 250.00 (i think) we see several every year while deer hunting the area we hunt. I took a shot at a large one a couple years ago while it was chasing a doe out of a swamp i was sitting on....We have also tried hunting the gut piles the day after a fresh kill. Never had luck with that but you do get to see a lot of cool birds that way :lol::lol: we had one pile that had 5 eagles eating off it. i could be wrong but i think your wolf tags are a party hunt tag too which works out well if you are paired up with a buddy. Good luck to you. they are not hard to find up there

tjstebb

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
I've never done it but our bear guide out of White River Ontario does them. He's been sending me trail cam pics and then sent this to me last week:D

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Not all areas require a wolf tag some areas only require a small game licence and yes you need export papers which are $35.00

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's true, but the WMU's where you do not need a seal are Southern Ontario where there are not that many wolves, more coyotes. The rest of the wolf core area is a seal which are $245.25 each, you can take a max of two, and there is no party hunting.

That picture has been around for a while, and definitely didn't come from White River.

Bushwhacker

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have been receiving the updates from Pete and have never had any problem with him lying to me either. I believe the pictures to be true. Thanks to everyone who has provided some thoughts. It still would be nice to hear from a few guys that have hunted wolves to give their experiences as well.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Gentleman in my office has been successful 2xs with kap river outfitters. Showed up with a big male, tagged, an hour after crossing the border with no problems. Closest wolves to southern Ontario would be Algonquin park.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would love to shoot one in the U.P. soon... they are getting thick here!!:smile-mad

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have bear hunted with Pete several times and know him to be a stand up guy. I have no reason to doubt the validity of that picture. By the way, I'm heading to White River in two weeks to hunt wolfs with Pete....gonna use a crossbow.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
I have bear hunted with Pete several times and know him to be a stand up guy. I have no reason to doubt the validity of that picture. By the way, I'm heading to White River in two weeks to hunt wolfs with Pete....gonna use a crossbow.
Good Luck Mike! Everytime I spend time up there I end up picking up his accent and start saying "Right On" to everybody when I come back home:lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
By the way, I'm heading to White River in two weeks to hunt wolfs with Pete....gonna use a crossbow.
White River is a beautiful spot. My Ma used to be a cook at Gloria's up there. Went blueberry picking a few times out there... seems like the wolves are always howling ;) Have a super good time!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts