Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any information on those two lakes or even the Lodges there. One is Lodge 88 and the other is Lochisland. Looking to take my two teenage kids there this summer. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Looking for any information on those two lakes or even the Lodges there. One is Lodge 88 and the other is Lochisland. Looking to take my two teenage kids there this summer. Thanks
Best fishing on esnagi is on the north end so stay at marmac lodge. I stayed there last year and was great. Good food, great service, cleaned our cabins and toilets everyday. The guide was helpful. When we first got there they gave us a map of the lake and showed where the walleye and pike were. The lodge is nice and has TV. There's also a trout lake near marmac which is a 15 minute boat ride and a 15 minute walk. Have proper footwear!

For walleye carry mostly jigs and real leeches and some guys used nightcrawler harnesses and did well. For pike the 1/2 silver and gold hammered finish 3-4" Williams wobbler were killer!!! I also did awesome with a large johnsons silver minnow with a red uncle Joshes ripple rind trailer in red and white. Live bait and Williams wobblers were available to purchase when we were there.

Again north is where all the fish are and from marmac you probably got a 45 minute boat ride north every morning. It was a great place with friendly people. Also with the guide they will fry up your fish for lunch which was absolutely delicious!! Marmac has running water in cabins to which I "heard" lodge 88 doesn't.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Just mailed my deposit, staying at campesnagi.com

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Forgot about that place, that pretty far north on the lake which is a good thing. Marmac also has a no meals outpost on the very north side of the lake. Congrats and have fun! I'm doing a native brook trout trip this year. I wanted to try a different place every year

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Forgot about that place, that pretty far north on the lake which is a good thing. Marmac also has a no meals outpost on the very north side of the lake. Congrats and have fun! I'm doing a native brook trout trip this year. I wanted to try a different place every year
Have fun chasing brookies!

The lodge is about half way up the lake and we start our fishing sometimes right there, on one side of the lake or the other. Then fish our way all the way to the top of the lake and then down the other side making short moves. Other days we take a trip to a specific spot or go exploring. We are doing a 5 day trip instead of 4 so we may try some areas south of the lodge this year after talking with one of the guides from Mar Mac and it will be new water for us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have fun chasing brookies!

The lodge is about half way up the lake and we start our fishing sometimes right there, on one side of the lake or the other. Then fish our way all the way to the top of the lake and then down the other side making short moves. Other days we take a trip to a specific spot or go exploring. We are doing a 5 day trip instead of 4 so we may try some areas south of the lodge this year after talking with one of the guides from Mar Mac and it will be new water for us.

When are you going?

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
July 1st through the 6th.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Esnagi, is this the place Kyle Randall from wilderness journal goes for brookies?

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Esnagi, is this the place Kyle Randall from wilderness journal goes for brookies?
No Brookies in Esnagi but I believe if you stay at Lodge 88 they have a portage somewhere behind or near their lodge that will get you to a Brookie lake.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
Thanks for the correction, I knew there was a lake near by.
There's also another lake that's about a 45 min walk. Trail I don't believe is clear, however they said no one has been there in 8 years. I wanted to go but the guide talked me out of it. Can't remember the Lakes name but I remember something called the star outpost there. If u go take a machete

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Same place. There is a tributary going into that lake they usually fish. I could be wrong on this, but he is normally fishing with the same guide he usually is with on the lake

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
How did the canada trip go. Didn't see any up dates or pictures Are you on face book? Or have you posted them somewhere. We are going there Aug 11-15 thanks Steve
Just been a bit busy since returning but we had a great trip. Paul the new owner (campesnagi.com) turned out to be a great guy as well has his new head guide Corey. Both are very professional and want you to get on the fish. We didn't use a guide but Corey was more than happy to share his experience and knowledge of the lake.

We caught good numbers of both Pike and walleye and I was able to boat a 24 incher while jigging. Caught good numbers on both rapalas and crawler harnesses as well as the usual spoons and #5 Mepps. Fire tiger seems to be the most consistent color but those pike usually hit everything and we were picking up Walleye trolling and occasionally casting for pike. The 24 inch walleye was caught in 28 fow but the majority were in the 14-18 fow. One day the wind blew pretty hard and the lake was at the point of questionable safety so we didn't venture too far from the lodge and the fishing was tough that day. 90% of our fishing was all on the north half of the lake.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1500306019.104082.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1500306050.620063.jpg

ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1500306068.919903.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts