Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say "only the strong survive" and deer definitely show us how strong they are quite often. We had pictures of this buck last year from November through late December and had many debates as to whether or not we should shoot him if given the chance.

I saw him twice in person and if he didn't have the arrow sticking out of him you would have never known he'd been shot. Barely any limp, no loss in body size and he was even chasing a doe the one time I saw him. We had decided to try and take him if given a chance and I was at full draw on him but couldn't get a shot.

This year we got these pictures in the same plot as the picture above. Notice the round mark on his rear quarter as well as the scar just infront of his rear quarter where the lump is in the picture above. We're pretty sure it's him:

Long live Arrow and here's to having him survive another season!!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Wow surprised that shot didnt kill him, tuff critters, must have missed the main artery in the rear leg. Have to name him lucky buck !!

·
Premium Member
30,863 Posts
Can't be him! Once a spike always a spike!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Probably too early to tell, but I always heard an injury would affect the opposite side antlers, they look the same so far. They are tough critters, seems like kind of a poor shot angle to take.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
These are the best kinds of posts in the TC forum. They're not just photos, but a small bit of history to go along with the pic.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I wonder how the arrow fell out? looks buried pretty deep in the first pic. Definantly tough animals with a strong will to survive

·
Premium Member
7,701 Posts
Probably broke off at some point with the remains of the arrow still in the rear quarter. The gent who processes my deer has cans full of arrow pieces and broadheads taken from animals he has butchered.
They truly are a resilient animal at times, but they have to be..;)

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably too early to tell, but I always heard an injury would affect the opposite side antlers, they look the same so far. They are tough critters, seems like kind of a poor shot angle to take.
As weird as it sounds, I don't know if this injury is "severe" enough to effect antler growth. Having seen him get around last year with hardly a limp I don't think it was much more than a muscle injury. Sure looks like a lot more of a muscle injury than I'd want to deal with though!!

As for the shot angle, when I was at full draw on him he turned and quarterd away really steep. The arrow was actually in my line of sight which is why I didn't shoot. I couldn't help but think "this didn't work out so good for the first guy..."

I wonder how the arrow fell out? looks buried pretty deep in the first pic. Definantly tough animals with a strong will to survive
That was one of the main concerns we had last year was that he wouldn't be able to pull it out since it was so far back and coming in from the back too. We were worried the entry wound would get infected and lead to his demise.

Great documentation! Good thing you didnt shoot him because he made it and looks no worse for the wear!
That is the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures, of course if I had shot him last year I would have felt good too because I would have thought I was protecting him from slow painful death. I guess in the end it happened the way it was meant to happen and now we (me and the buck) can both be happy!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Very Cool!! It definitely looks like the same guy to me. Some very tough critters out there, I would of tried to take him out as well. But, after seeing this, I may have 2nd thoughts if I was ever to see one with an arrow sticking out of him. Looks like it has healed up rather well, and should be a shooter this year.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any ideas how/who shot him?

We have our theories based on some stories from the neighbors and some recon work gonig on the color of the fletchings on the arrow that he was toting around.

If our theory is true he is the victim of inexperienced hunters shooting beyond their abilitity, and beyond the ability of their equipment.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Glad to see he made it, Nice thread, Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Arrow continues to hang around and I think it's safe to say our property is at least part of his core area. We had lots of pictures of him this last pull and he appears to be using our clover plot alot. It looks like he's going to be a decent little basket 7 or 8 this year which is pretty good considering that he was a spike last year and what he has dealt with.

(Dates and times are incorrect on these pictures)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts