Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out this morning and watched everyone else catch the fish. trolled anywhere from 30 to 90 fow and only had one rip which we lost at the net. even saw guys catch them in the channel. the guy next to us was using the exact same presentation and he was killing them while we washed our lures.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: well you cant catch em everytime I guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was out from 6am to 1:30pm and only got got 2. Both were on flies and spin doctors, one on dipsy 100ft out on 3 and the other 36 down on rigger. We went south of th pier's and I could not believe the dam nets all over. I am gonna smoke the two I caught in my new propane smoker today.:D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Have the waters cooled at all? I am taking a friend out Monday pm. He's from Florida and has never fished the pond up here. I'd like him to catch a few. Thanks. One other rookie question...Is it the standard method when using lead core to use a dipsey or planer as well??? Does the core take it deep fast so you dont have a 'high line' for others to catch on who troll too close?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Finlander,
Leadcore is a presentation by itself. Normally sent out to the side of the boat with a planer board like a church board or Offshore. Dipsey divers are a completely different presentation. Any diver, like dipseys or Slide divers are rigged on a rod with a leader behind the diver and then the bait. divers will pull the bait down and out from the rod tip. They are adjustable so a dipsey set on 3 or a slide diver set on 6 will pull out more than down but on a 1 setting will pull down more than out. In the shallow water fishing around the pier heads, if you run a "long line" or "flatline" you are asking to get cut off. with all the boat traffic in tight quarters, most people have relatively short lines behind the boat so they can turn quickely. At the same time, that allows other boats to cut pretty close in behind them when they are getting squeazed by someone else or trying to give some room to another boat that is fighting a fish. They call it combat fishing for a reason. Big spunky fish in short lines in lots of boat traffic equals lots of break offs and lots of excitement.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Gimpbob,

How far south and how deep of water did you see nets outside Muskegon? I hate those da*& things too, and I would hate to have anyone get their tacklet caught in them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
went out this morning and watched everyone else catch the fish. trolled anywhere from 30 to 90 fow and only had one rip which we lost at the net. even saw guys catch them in the channel. the guy next to us was using the exact same presentation and he was killing them while we washed our lures.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: well you cant catch em everytime I guess.
Duckhunter, We went north, and stayed in water no deeper than 50' and landed 7. We where running long (30-50') leads off the riggers and 1/2 core off the boards, also dippseys set at 3 back 80-100 feet. Also all the fish came before 9 am.
Ken.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The nets were south of Muskegon in front of the Mona Lake in about 60 fow and out from there. I saw two separate nets in that area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts