Howdy all,

When I'm not on the road, I'm tied to the internet. So I was
wondering if there might be someplace on the ice that was
within or near a WiFi hotspot (wireless internet for all you
computer challenged folks).

That way, I could play hooky, or actually move my office (Cell
phone and laptop) into the shanty. I could be at work while
I was fishing.

So, I'm buyin the refreshments for everyone interested, the first time I'm able to do an Online Outing!

Any other WiFi-sherman out there?

Later,

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
Sound like a great idea,, now I don't need that "pager system" to tell me when I have a flag up,, I can just check my email or the instant messenger.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Actually AJ, I have to do this techno/business stuff on a daily basis. When I play hookie... I play hookie! Well, I take the cell, but the laptop stays in the truck, or hotel, or cabin, or home, or... anywhere except with me. :D

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
Great Idea. I have no idea where that place would be but let me know and maybe I'm there.:D

·
Registered
876 Posts
Good idea. But I would be afraid of ice/snow/water would mess up my laptop. You dont want any condensation to get on that motherboard. Or worse, one wrong move and you see your laptop fall in your hole, and watch it as it sinks. :eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I'd be happy with access at the parking lot. So when I
got the Cell phone call, I could be online in a few minutes to get
some work done. Just pull the lines and hike over to the truck for
a half hour of work.

I'd love to play hookie without the laptop, but I can either stay
connected and get paid. Or take a day off, which is nice but not
nearly as perfect as fishing & getting paid at the same time.

I know that most Borders bookstores and Starbucks have access
points. So anyone know of a fishing spot near (within sight of)
a Borders or Starbucks?

Later,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Traverse City has WiFi coverage for their downtown area, put in place as an initiative of the Traverse Area Association of Realtors (of which I'm a member.) I'm not sure how broad the coverage is, but this could yield WiFishing opportunities on the bay (later in the winter) or perhaps on Boardman Lake?

That's as close as I can come. I try to break all ties as much as possible when playing, but I'd be playing a lot less if I didn't have a cell phone, so I know where you are coming from.

Matt

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm not understanding what you're trying to accomplish AJ. I've been considering getting a laptop and using a Sierra AirCard in the PCMCIA slot so the device would be entirely internet ready out in the shanty. What is it you are referring to as a 'hotspot'?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HighPowered,

I use wireless at home, wireless router on my local cable modem. That way my laptop doesn't need to have an ethernet cable attached while I am on the internet.

My house is my own personal 'hotspot'. There are companies that
are putting in 'hotspots' and selling connect time. For example,
T-Mobile has bunches of these hotspots that you can subscribe
to. For something like $39/month, you can have high speed
wireless internet at many hotels. Borders books and Starbucks
have a vendor that does the same thing.

I think that over time, a few big companies will end up controlling
the market. A lot like cellular today, compared to 15-20 years
ago.

Thats a hotspot, for more info. Check out www.t-mobile.com or maybe www.boingo.com ($21.95/month).

Hope this helps, drop me an email if you want to discuss.

·
Registered
210 Posts
With no disrespect I never mix the two . Just leave your job in the office , take a real day off work , come out on the ice with the boys have a great time of the solidtude of the peacefullness of nature, catch some fish and then you don't have to worry about missing the catch of a life time when you answer ths cell phone .:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigBerniegb,

I appreciate your approach. I take time off to do just as you
recommend. And you are right, its the best way. My schedule
is a little out of the ordinary (lots of travel etc.), so just taking
time off on occasion is not enough for me. So I'll do more if
possible ;).

Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess I neglected to realise that not all of us are confined by the walls of a factory .I'm a G.M. employee . I'm probably double talking but if you can combine the two with no problems then go for it . There are some spots that all I have to walk is less than 1/8 of a mile and I'm on top of great fishing . Merry Christmas and have a safe New Year .One more thing I read a thread and we lost a Fisherman through the ice allready , it was tragic I'm sorry to say. Please be safe and bring'em home alive .Because someone is home waiting for your great fishing stories no matter how long or short they are. SEA U ON THE ICE

:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem BigBernie, sometimes my schedule surprises me too.
Mostly when I wake up in a hotel and wonder which city I'm in.

Thanks for the holiday wishes, hope to meet you on the ice
sometime.

Happy Holidays,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Happy Holdiays everyone!

I would agree with Bigbernie and Molson. Although I like the idea of being able to fish at work, I equate bringing work to fishing as akin to typing a report in church. In fact, since fishing is damn near a religion for me the analogy is even tighter for me!

It may depend on how you look at it but it would probably become work while fishing for me either way!

Wishing all hard water and a happy new year,

Tom

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
sorry to be off topic, but bigberniegb, nice to see you online again gary, haven't seen you around in a long time and wondered if you'd be online again... welcome back bud!

steve

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Sprint PCS has a wireless PCMCIA card that uses there PCS network to get a connection to the net. We use them with our VPN to get onto our network. I hear the sevice is around 90 a month for it. The speed is similar to that of a 56K ( the split T1 type). It works anywhere that a digital cell phone does.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah Brandon, that is what I was referring to. I just wasn't feeling like promoting Sprint PCS. I used to represent them and their product is good so long as you are on the digital 'footprint'. I am sure the aircard would work well just about anywhere on LSC or the Saginaw River. If your fishing the thumb though fahgetaboutit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts