Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two boys one 10, other one is going to be 10 early March. With all their school stuff and athletics wondering if anyone has done the online hunter saftey course. I realize there is still one day that you have to go but just wondering if anybody has taken this route and if you liked it or not. Hope to get both rabbit hunting.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
you can take both of them rabbit hunting. you can purchase an apprentice liscense for 2 years before they need hunter safety.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
i'm pretty sure there is still a physical gun safety part of the course. Therefore it cannot be done online.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Having taken hunters safety, years ago, I would be disappointed if they were to start offering it completely online. There's aspects of it that really need to be done in person, including the actual test.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I teach IBEP and I didn't know that it was on line! If it is I don't think it will be any good we teach, touch, feel, see. Very hard to duplicate. I wish the DNR would add actual shoot test. Five shots and three have to be in the kill or you retake. All shots less than 25 yds.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I took the online course and it was great. Basically, the online portion is reading all the material online, then passing a test. This took me about 5 hours of continuous reading from a website. Before you can take the one-day field session you must take and pass a precertification test online. Definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
560 Posts
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/recnsearch/
The MDNR on-line hunter safety course is good for some students and not good for others. If a student has the patience and discipline to study the material on-line then they will do well. Other students do better in a traditional classroom setting.
The on-line course presents the minimum material that MDNR requires to be taught. Some instructors provide additional material, beyond the MDNR minimum, in their classroom format courses.
Either hunter safety class format can give a student a good background in safe hunting practices, conservation, laws, and ethics.
A good mentor can help the new hunters continue learning after their hunter safety class is completed.

·
Banned
484 Posts
I teach IBEP and I didn't know that it was on line! If it is I don't think it will be any good we teach, touch, feel, see. Very hard to duplicate. I wish the DNR would add actual shoot test. Five shots and three have to be in the kill or you retake. All shots less than 25 yds.
I completely agree!

Its completely shameful what the MDNR has done to several youth Safety Programs here in Michigan. None of them make ''hands on'' training manditory and many are taught by unqualified Instructors, especially the ORV Safety Program. [ You dont even want to get me started with the ORV Sagfety Program:mad: ] In fact,I beleive the MDNR is in violation of MCL 324.81129 [ 8 ] when we refer to the ORV Safety Program because this law states

[ 8 ] The Department SHALL implement a COMPREHENSIVE ORV Information, Safety Education, and training program that SHALL include the training of operators and the preparation and dissemination of information and safety advice to the public.The training program SHALL provide for the TRAINING of youthful OPERATORS and for the issuance of ORV safety certificates to those who successfully complete the training provided under the program.

The above MCL states that we must include training of operators [ hands on ] and must hand out safety information to our youth. When you confront the top dogs within the DNR about instructors who only teach in the classroom and do not make the kids ride their ORVs, they simple tell you that it is not how THEY interpet the law to read [ how conveinent ]

There is absolutely no standardization of the ORV Safety Program in Michigan, meaning that what one youth is taught in one County, is not the same class that is being taught in another County. In fact, Instructors dont even take training to become a ORV Safety Instructor anymore. The program is at its lowest point since Jenny Granholm gave an Excutive Order to give the Program to the MDNR, OCT 1st of 2003.

Given the fact that nobody can gaureentee that the youth taking the online safety course is even the one answering the questions, is enough to abolish online youth safety certification program.

The top dogs within the MDNR who are responsible for some of our youth safety programs, should be ashamed of themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts