Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I took my 5 and 3 year olds out Easter Day to see if we can get any birds to gobble. My 5 year old wanted to try his “voice call” lol. Didn’t get any response. So we took a walk, I pulled out my mouth call and hit a few yelps. MAYBE got something way in the distance. We decided to walk up to a field, but after taking a few steps I noticed a hen walking our way about 40 yards away. I stopped the kids and told them not to move. My 5 year old is a pro. My 3 year old?? Ya, good luck with that haha. We stayed down for a few min and then I noticed 3 big toms walking in towards the call I just made. Somehow these toms (35 yards away) didn’t see the 3 of us standing there, with my 3 year old pointing and talking, and the bright white bucket I was carrying. Eventually they finally knew something wasn’t right and walked off. Then out of no where my 3 year old decides to try helping himself lol. He let out the most God awful, squeaky Yelp I’ve ever heard. The toms gobbled!! Hahaha. They were so excited.

Pretty cool thing to see. Getting pumped for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
proud to be a.......
8,909 Posts
That’s a nice flounder Ryan and some good eatin’ right there.
I checked the cams this morning and was a little disappointed until I got to the last one.

I believe this is a different bird...a thicker beard but, nice spurs too!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow Dennis, the spurs on those toms are huge! One of the 5 toms I had behind the house had some curve to spurs, and 3 others were at an inch or just over. Hope you can tag one!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup those are some hooks Dennis hopefully you can connect with him was supposed to go catch grouper today made it 20 miles out not the 26 we were supposed to had to turn right back around with boat troubles lots of driving without putting a line in the water

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Finally got into handloading TSS. I wasn’t going for numbers in a 10” circle on these, just more of getting the fear out of shooting something I created and blowing my face off. Both are 3” 2oz TSS 8.5, two separate recipes. Both shot out of Mossberg 835 with .690 Jellyhead at 40 yards.

I am very impressed at the results. I know I could produce better 10” numbers, but used a more open constriction for a great hunting pattern, which is what I got on both shells.

Gonna load up a couple more before season, most likely the recipe I used on the pink poster board.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
proud to be a.......
8,909 Posts
Gobbling was good the past week and intense on Saturday when they started going off as early as 6:15 am.
Not a peep Sunday or this morning.
We’ll see what happens now that it has returned to more ‘normal’ spring weather this week.
A slight break in the clouds this morning with a no-moon to snap a quick pic of the Milky Way core rising.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts