Premium Member
31,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,795 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
No luck this year guys, had some great hunts but the birds hung out a little too far. Could have shot them in my yard but didn’t want to do that. I guess I waited around on that big Tom too long. Both groups of birds moved to the other sides of the sections I hunt. Having a kid makes for limited hunting time I’m learning.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well guys as you know I've been chasing 1 particular Tom all season and only really had 1 opportunity at him on the 8th of May. Saturday morning he hits the field I'm sitting on with 4 hens about 150 yards from me and leaves with them. i take note and set up an ambush sight for Monday morning.
Monday morning I get out earlier to get set up. Awful quiet in the early morning as I sit and wait, finally 2 different gobbles. 6:05 and 1 of the Birds is on the field walking directly towards me. As he nears I still can't see his beard. About 65 yards out he stops and looks toward my decoy. As he turns I see his beard, very nice. He proceeds to walk around my decoy at about 70 yards out, never offering me a shot. Tried various calls no response,no Gobbling,strutting,nothing.
.At about 6:25 the other tom hits the field. He's walking the same path as the first bird, except he turned once so I could see a beard. As he starts to get in range he stops at about 40 Yards head up looking at my decoy. I didn't wait dropped him right there. A nice Jake, I'm just lucky to get a bird this season.
OneHungLow enjoyed the season. Hope your freezers are full of fish, birds, and venison. Stay healthy, Till next season, so long.
Chris

101 - 120 of 120 Posts