Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well I wasn’t able to score for the team this morning, but my 6 year old scored his first bird ever. 22#, 9.5” beard, 7/8” spurs. We worked this tom all morning, and even at one point had him TOO close for a shot. Finally, on the 3rd attempt at him, he crossed over at ~20 yards and he dropped him. Never seen a kid so excited. It was awesome.

Then Cabrera hits his 3,000th. What a day to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So this is how my morning went we got a gobble off the roost so I set my buddy up 50 yards in front of me eventually the bird flew down and he gave my buddy a show at 50 yards closest he go was 40 but in some thick stuff. Packed it up and moved elsewhere had 3 Jake's and a tom on the other side of us none would commit. Third setup had a tom gobbling next thing a golf cart comes down the trail. Crap so I told him I have 1 more spot but it's super thick with 1 field so let's just set up in the field and see what happens. I didn't expect to see anything after maybe 10 minutes this guy shows up strutting his stuff ready to kill my decoy the only problem is I have an itchy trigger finger so down he went

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hunted yesterday morning only a couple of gobbles on roost. Saw a few Jake's on the neighbors field, and had a hen come into our set.
Moved to a new location this morning and the woods were on fire. Birds gobbling from 3 different directions. At daylight 4 Jake's came into investigate our lone hen. Soon a nice Tom comes into the field, but won't come anywhere near the 4 Jake's. They basically chases him across the field.
An hour later we have another Tom lighting up, he's responding to my calls closing the gap behind us. My daughter turns slowly to see where he's at, busted at about 70 yards. Fun morning with my daughter.
We did hit the Detroit river yesterday for our 1st trip with a new to us boat. Had to learn how to us a wireless remote, took a short while and my daughter had everything under control. Plenty of boats out with us. Put 2 walleye in the live well, from 7 until 8. Didn't see many nets.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Man guys I almost scored yesterday. I had my 4 year old with me, his first time turkey hunting. Full of energy, movement, and noise. And singing lol. I thought this was gonna be almost impossible to get a bird in these “conditions” lol. We were able to call 3 toms in, one of them really putting on a show in front of us at around 30 yards. That’s the good part. The bad part is he never once came out from behind some trees. Only needed to step about about 5 yards in a certain directions and it never happened.

At some point, those toms recruited about 7-8 jakes. So that was nice to see, especially for the future!

So close…not close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'll be out only for a couple hours tomorrow to try to call 1 in for a buddy it is nice shooting 1 opening morning but also stinks because I love sitting in the spring woods hunting turkeys and most people that I know don't hunt near as much as I would during turkey season. Hopefully tomorrow am will have another pic good luck all

·
proud to be a.......
9,032 Posts
I made it out yesterday morning for the first time. Lots of gobbling around me but, I picked the wrong spot! About 8:15 a big boy walks through about 75 yards out on a mission. I give him a short few calls and he stops to go into full strut mode for a few minutes. Looks around for awhile and then continues on his mission. I was going to go this morning but, windy and possibly rain plus sore (old age syndrome), I just couldn’t get motivated. It’s still a long season and its walleye season now. I’m thinking tomorrow or Monday and/or Wednesday after the overnight rains. They should come out into the open to dry themselves off and strut their stuff off in some sunshine. It’s a long season and I will not give up until the end!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was able to call one in for dad, ended up having two Tom’s come through just out of range and behind some brush. One hung around for about 20 minutes before he finally offered dad a shot. 10-1/8” beard and 1-1/8” spurs. First Tom off of my property. Out again now for the afternoon after the big Tom. We will see if he shows up.

Camouflage Military camouflage Hunting Deer hunting People in nature

41 - 60 of 104 Posts