Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Sure hope this weather can look a little better soon. Have a lot to do before season starts on the 23rd. My 6 year old will be hunting this year thanks to the mentored youth hunt, and we have to get his new .410 all ready. Too cold and rainy to do anything with it. We’re excited though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
13 days and counting.

Everyone ready?

Once I get done with these 9 days of work, I have 5 off and its full-bore on getting everything ready. Gonna try and go back to the woods and help my 6 year old get his new turkey gun ready and hopefully do some shed hunting while were at it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
It’s been so cold and gloomy it really hasn’t felt like turkeys season yet. I’m in walleye mode for the next 3 weeks but then it’s game on for the gobblers! Can’t wait to get up north and wander all my stomping grounds.
100% agree. Too gloomy feeling. But todays weather made feel the opposite. And in the mood.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I’m getting a VERY late start to turkey hunting preparation this year. Work, weather, etc. so my two boys and I went back yesterday to check out the pop up blind we’ve been using the past couple years, only to find it shredded and completely unusable. I hopped on Amazon and found a Rhino hub blind that will/should be here Wednesday. Hoping to set it up then or Thursday. I usually don’t use a blind when turkey hunting, but with two young turkey hunting boys “in training”, a blind is a must-have. But I can’t wait for when I don’t have to monkey with these things anymore.

Then, gotta get my sons new .410 turkey gun all sighted in on Thursday. Nothing like doing everything 2 days before season starts.

How about u guys? All ready??

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Took my son to get his turkey gun sighted in. Not to mention, his very first time shooting a shotgun. He actually did much better than I thought as far as accuracy and handling a shotguns recoil. Granted it’s only a .410, but he doesn’t have much meat on his bones.

Be out early tomorrow morning. Hope everyone can make it out, the weather is supposed to be almost summer-like.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Good luck today everyone. Unfortunately, I can’t help the team today as I am promised my son opening day is his. Early next week I’ll be able to get out while kids are at school.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Well I wasn’t able to score for the team this morning, but my 6 year old scored his first bird ever. 22#, 9.5” beard, 7/8” spurs. We worked this tom all morning, and even at one point had him TOO close for a shot. Finally, on the 3rd attempt at him, he crossed over at ~20 yards and he dropped him. Never seen a kid so excited. It was awesome.

Then Cabrera hits his 3,000th. What a day to remember.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Man guys I almost scored yesterday. I had my 4 year old with me, his first time turkey hunting. Full of energy, movement, and noise. And singing lol. I thought this was gonna be almost impossible to get a bird in these “conditions” lol. We were able to call 3 toms in, one of them really putting on a show in front of us at around 30 yards. That’s the good part. The bad part is he never once came out from behind some trees. Only needed to step about about 5 yards in a certain directions and it never happened.

At some point, those toms recruited about 7-8 jakes. So that was nice to see, especially for the future!

So close…not close enough.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Had a pretty eventful morning but had to leave to go pick my son up from school.

After hearing gobbling in back of me this morning, everything went silent. I was later able to call in a group of 3 toms and about 5-6 jakes. They came within range, but were to my right and wasn’t able to swing my gun over to get a shot. I tried to get them to angle the other way, but no luck. There were way too many eyes to pull anything crazy as I didn’t want to get busted. I thought for sure they were gonna circle around and give me a chance, but they didn’t.

Saw one tom later and a hen. Then had to leave. I underdressed and needed to warm up anyway. Then got my turkey vest fixed. That’s my highlight.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Went out this morning. Another VERY close call. 1 Tom came in this morning right away, but he knew something wasn’t right. My only guess is the tree I was sitting against ended up being in the spotlight due to the sun. Maybe I stuck out? Half hour later, had 3 toms come in the same spot but just wouldn’t offer a shot. Close, but too many branches to feel comfortable.

I work the next 8 days but I’ll be back to the woods after.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts