Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hunted yesterday morning only a couple of gobbles on roost. Saw a few Jake's on the neighbors field, and had a hen come into our set.
Moved to a new location this morning and the woods were on fire. Birds gobbling from 3 different directions. At daylight 4 Jake's came into investigate our lone hen. Soon a nice Tom comes into the field, but won't come anywhere near the 4 Jake's. They basically chases him across the field.
An hour later we have another Tom lighting up, he's responding to my calls closing the gap behind us. My daughter turns slowly to see where he's at, busted at about 70 yards. Fun morning with my daughter.
We did hit the Detroit river yesterday for our 1st trip with a new to us boat. Had to learn how to us a wireless remote, took a short while and my daughter had everything under control. Plenty of boats out with us. Put 2 walleye in the live well, from 7 until 8. Didn't see many nets.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Close last night, had 5 hens and 1 Tom together. The Tom hung up in the woods at about 40 yards with brush in front of him. He slowly walked away to his hens , not presenting a shot. This morning we only had 1 lone Tom hammering in the back side of the woods. He hit the ground still gobbling headed our way, then nothing. Everything went quiet, no birds seen today.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Lots of Toms still out there, plenty were sounding off this morning, just none in the woods I sat by. Did have 5 Jake's come out in the field about 200 Yards away. Back at it in the AM.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well guys as you know I've been chasing 1 particular Tom all season and only really had 1 opportunity at him on the 8th of May. Saturday morning he hits the field I'm sitting on with 4 hens about 150 yards from me and leaves with them. i take note and set up an ambush sight for Monday morning.
Monday morning I get out earlier to get set up. Awful quiet in the early morning as I sit and wait, finally 2 different gobbles. 6:05 and 1 of the Birds is on the field walking directly towards me. As he nears I still can't see his beard. About 65 yards out he stops and looks toward my decoy. As he turns I see his beard, very nice. He proceeds to walk around my decoy at about 70 yards out, never offering me a shot. Tried various calls no response,no Gobbling,strutting,nothing.
.At about 6:25 the other tom hits the field. He's walking the same path as the first bird, except he turned once so I could see a beard. As he starts to get in range he stops at about 40 Yards head up looking at my decoy. I didn't wait dropped him right there. A nice Jake, I'm just lucky to get a bird this season.
OneHungLow enjoyed the season. Hope your freezers are full of fish, birds, and venison. Stay healthy, Till next season, so long.
Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts