Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I came across a coon in a trap that didn't have a tag on it.
I called the DNR and they recovered the animal and the trap. Hopefully they'll catch who ever it is. The officer told me that they have had guys call in looking for their traps after the DNR have recovered them. Hopefully this guy is that stupid.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was a 1 1/2 double coil.( foot hold)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bought some of those aluminum trap tags that you write your D.L.# on and attach it with a wire. The first big coon I caught, that tag was no where to be found. The wire was still on the trap, but tag gone. Not wanting to leave my scent in the trap circle, I didnt get down in there and sift through the dirt. That tag was pretty shiny and I sure couldnt find it raking a stick around.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've had the tag come off too. Try folding the hole end over before putting the wire thru to double the thickness of the tag. Seems to help a little. They cost a dime. I guess you get what you pay for. I'm investing in some engraved tags. Shame to lose a trap over a cheap tag, and possibily get a ticket or worse.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
I have used copper traps for 50 years and with a lot of moves it is really fun changing all those tags on my traps :bash: .

The system that I have come to use is the following. Take the copper trap tag and put a small bend in one end, so you can hook this bend on one of the trap chain links closes to the end swivel. Then either with your fingers or a pair of pliers keep bending the copper tag so it wraps itself around the single wire of the chain link. Finally you can crimp it down with your pliers, but if you do it carefully there is really no need to crimp the tag down.

The tag will stay on much longer, than if you try to wire the tag onto the chain. And the other advantage is that you know if someone has opened your tag and read it, because they are unable to get it wrapped as tightly as you did when you first installed it ;) .

Another use for these copper trap tags is to keep the triggers of you 330 conibears from coming off due to the bending of the triggers. Just take a copper trap tag and wrap it around the two trigger wires right at the point that they attach to the latch mechanism. It works like a charm and services as a backup tag if the one on the chain should come off!

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
There is another possibility that I have found over the years although it is not as bad as it once was it still happens. That trap could have been a stolen trap used by some thief until someone else steels it or the CO picks it up. Just a possibility.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How and why did you look for a tag on a trap that held a live coon? Did anyone look on the ground around the catch for a tag that may have been chewed off? (it happens a lot, especialy a shiny tag simply held on by a wire)Where's the catch now? You can assume the trap wasn't tagged, but it can also be assumed the trapper was within the law and had a coon rip the tag off and drop it at the set (It may be able to be found), as many of us have experienced. I wrap my tags tight around a link of chain, and to the naked eye my traps would seem to be untagged, but I can assure you they are and the coons don't seem to be able to get them off. That said.....if the tag is on the ground and the trapper can prove his case, then the issue becomes molesting of a legaly set trap. If I see a set with a catch I don't mees with it unless it exposed to the public eye, then I may do a good jesture dispatch (legal?.....maybe not......appreciated?......most often yes) for my fellow trapper and tuck the catch in a way that the trapper will find it, but also so that Jonny won't. I don't check others tags to see who's here or anything like that, as I'm then tampering with someones traps that doesn't belong to me...... I believe it's illegal. If I see an illegal set...then I call.

You have a bunch of new trappers in your area, and many old names (Willis, Johnson's, Lyon's...etc) working around all these new trappers. The area is full of pre-season flagging, multiple sets at each stop, and from what I've seen, a bunch of folks not checking traps, leaving sprung sets in place for weeks, fur soaking past slip, etc.....that whole area could use a responsibility
pill. Self policeing is a good indication you care, but watch out for when and where you choose to make a stand. stolen traps and stolen fur in the area is also becomeing a more prevalent issue, and it can only snowball downhill. The first suggestion I would make is to talk to Willis and see if he knows who's in there. The DNR is a bit sketchy with trappers and the laws. A couple weeks ago my buddy Dave had a tagged, leagaly set, trap removed from it's bed and a note left behind cussing him out and leaving a phone number. He did the right ting and called the DNR and they reported that one of their field officers had the trap. he asked when it would be returned and whether or not he would be able to press charges against the individual that took the trap. A) they told him that the removing of the trap was a police matter, and B) they would not issue a ticket for molesting the trap, and C) They told him the officer would drop if off at his house.........2 weeks later....no trap.

Go figure.

Off the soap box...............sorry for the ramblings.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, it is very possible that the trap was properly tagged, but the tag was removed by the animal. I used to use the cheap, soft, "write on" metal tags, but discovered that I was replacing them all the time. I am a big stickler for the law, and I was shocked to discover that alot of my tags had been chewed off. I immediately ordered some heavy, stamped brass tags, that you will have a very hard time bending without pliers. I figured this would solve my problems, but look at what a coyote will do in one short night....

As you can see, the stock, factory swivels were crushed and the tag was almost completely removed. This is not a rare event at all, and I have upgraded all my chain assemblies with MB crunch-proof swivels....but thats not my point. My point is to show that even if you are a stickler for the law and do everything you can to keep your tags on, the animals will still remove them.

By the way, never use wire or a hog ring to attach a tag, allowing it flop in the breeze. Do as Dave and Mallard described...and as I show in my picture. Wrap it around a chain link or the swivel, otherwise it will really become a chew toy.

-NC

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Mallard,

In John defense I know that he found the raccoon, that appeared to have been in the trap for an extended period of time and decided to try to identify the trapper, so he could no doubt notify him of his catch.

Self policeing is a good indication you care, but watch out for when and where you choose to make a stand. stolen traps and stolen fur in the area is also becomeing a more prevalent issue, and it can only snowball downhill. Mallard
Your quote above in very true and also having John talk to Tom Willis was an excellent suggestion.

By keeping this thread positive, it has already been a very positive and informative thread for all our young trappers. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
David G Duncan said:
In John defense I know that he found the raccoon, that appeared to have been in the trap for an extended period of time and decided to try to identify the trapper, so he could no doubt notify him of his catch.
That being the case.....good call. There's a 24 hr check law ("checked each day") for non-lethal sets. It's these type of folks that will be the death of all of us. I won't even call the scum bags trappers. Problem is....the DNR will not follow up at all, but simply hope someone strolls in. Do they want us to self police and be the jury and judge? I'd gladly do it, but there isn't anyone out there that would like the sentence.

If you make a set and don't feel like checking it.....quit trapping. :bash:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to the CO that responded to the complaint and he could not find any indication that the trap was properly tagged and that they would be keeping an eye on the area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts