Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an average bear, I heard that if a bear is up to the 2nd line on the barrel he's around 200lbs.

So since this guy is up to the 2nd line is that about right 200lbs, give or take a little, just want to make sure on all that I can.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Im no pro on guessin a bears size but he dont look 200 to me maybe a 100 but think about it the second line on a 55 gal drum really isnt that high off the ground.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Brohonson

I am no pro at guessing a bears weight, the adrenanline gets kicking, and my reasoning skills take a hike. But the 2nd ring on the barrel isn't always the best indicator. When I hunted in Saskatchewan a couple years ago the owner of the outfit and I talked about this very subject. I mentioned looking at the height of the bear against a known reference, and Sam said he wasn't a big fan of that method, but it could be used as part of the equation. He told me to look at the bears ears, big ears equals small bear, a bigger bear will have some space between his ears, and it's ears will appear to be more on the sides of it's head, not right on top. He said if it's ears look like a German Shephard it's not a big bear. He also told me to look at it's belly line, a big bear will have a sagging belly. And to consider the height, but not to make my determination solely on that factor. The thing is a sow can come up to the second ring, and still only weigh a little over 100 lbs. they just aren't built like a boar.

All that being said, the bear in the picture in my opinion is not a 200 lb. bear. I personally, haven taken a couple bears and would let it pass. But that's no to say everyone would, or should. If you shoot, and walk up to your bear, and after the adrenaline wears off, it's not quite as big as you thought, don't be to upset, you won't be the first or the last hunter to do that. Enjoy your trophy, taking a bear in Michigan is something to be proud of, no matter what. For what ever it's worth, if a big one comes in you'll know. It's hard to explain, but trust me you'll know. They just carry themselvs different, and act different, you'll know.

Good luck, I don't hunt until the 3rd season, until then I'm living vicariously through all of you, so let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Believe me Im no expert but I have raised 4 Newfoundland dogs (presently have 2 and 1 Lab) and the biggest was #180. My "guess would be #100 -#125.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
We do some hunts, so I have seen some bear. we have recovered 2 or 3 that size. They are much easier to drag out and it pays the same.;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
im not an expert, but im pretty sure that bear would go right around 100-130 lbs.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a lot bigger bears coming in, its just that I want to make sure on dont settle for a little one, if I dont have too.

Thanks Everyone:)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
That is not a 200 lbs bear.. Is that a 35 gallon drum? I would say he is about 125 or so.. There are also three lines on that barrel which most of the 55 gallon drums I have seen only have two and then the top..

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a 55 galloon drum for sure:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts