Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long read but wanted to share one of my favorite hunting trips with everyone.

This past weekend I had planned to take Brandon, my girlfriends son, up for a mini bird and bow camp. Unfortunately the crossbow broke last week when we were target practicing so it turned into just a bird/small game camp. We were both bummed out about this as I have been trying to get Brandon his first deer for a while now but I was determined to make the best of it. With my job and Brandon's school, archery practice , and being at his dad's most weekends I don't have many opportunities to get him out hunting.

We left the house at 6:30AM Saturday morning and arrived in the Roscommon area around 9:30AM. It would just be Brandon and I until my dad, grandpa, and brother arrived in the afternoon. We hunted for about 3 hours and didn't move a single critter. I could tell Brandon was loosing interest, he had never grouse/woodcock hunted before and he was starting to have doubts about this being a productive weekend. We decided to break for lunch so I setup the grill and started cooking some hotdogs, and we waited for the rest of the crew to arrive. We had all brought several firearms up and planned on doing some target shooting as well so I figured this would give us a chance to have a little fun until the afternoon when we would hit the woods again.

My dad and brother went to go work on their deer blinds after the shooting session as this was their main goal for the weekend. Grandpa, Brandon, and me went to check out a different piece of cover that I knew would hold birds but is pretty thick and tough to hunt. Only 10 minutes into the first push Brandon flushes a rabbit and shoots. We spend some time looking and can't find it so I chalk it up as a miss, but we are seeing animals so it was a positive start. We continue to hunt this piece of cover for another hour and half and have multiple grouse flushes and I bag a rabbit. While we were all missing birds we were still having a great time and I can tell Brandon is starting to like this grouse hunting things. As we are making our way back to the truck I am walking through the same area where Brandon had shot at the rabbit when we first got there, when I spot a dead rabbit on the ground. I pick it up, still warm and not stiff, I knew it was the one we thought Brandon missed. We have some celebratory high fives and start walking the 2 track back to the truck with 2 rabbits in hand, smiles on our faces, and a lot less shells in our pocket.

At the truck we begin to unload when grandpa spots a grouse standing in the middle of the 2 track not 20 yards in front of the truck. Brandon manages to uncase his gun and load a shell without scaring the bird and makes a great shot with his 20ga. He runs to retrieve his prize and when I ask him to hold it up I could see his hand shaking from excitement and a ear to ear smile, I knew he was hooked and would always remember this day when he harvested his first game animals. Now true the bird was on the ground and not flying so this may not be the "right way" to shoot a grouse to some but I have no issues with a young hunter shooting a bird standing still. Hell I have yet to bag a grouse and would probably take the same shot if Brandon wasn't there.

The next day we hunt a bid more and flush quite a few woodcock but don't connect. Brandon does manage to bag a black squirrel rounding out a nice mix bag for the weekend. I was hoping we would have got a woodcock as well as I thought it would have been cool to get rabbits, squirrel, grouse, and woodcock all in the same weekend but there is always next time.
20151011_091341.jpg
20151010_164800.jpg
7303.jpeg
20151010_162946.jpg
Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
12,902 Posts
Awesome!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

And yes we have been discussing getting a another dog for hunting/house pet. We currently have a rottweiler who is 1 year old and I don't know if I am quite ready yet to deal with the puppy phase again. I forgot how much of a handful they can really be lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts