Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

One buck rule

6K views 79 replies 40 participants last post by  anonymous7242016 
#1 ·
Just a thought....what if our state went to a one buck rule?

This would maybe make a hunter think twice about shooting that 4pt that comes in Oct 1st resulting in the possibility of our bucks getting some age on them. It would also make us shoot more does if we eat more than 1 or 2 deer year and helping control the doe population.

#3 ·
Welcome to MS. If you look up at the top of your screen there is a tab labeled search. You may want to use the advanced search function and search using the key word OBR. You will find hours of enjoyable reading on the topic, one which had been previously discussed in infinite detail in these forums. ;)

#6 ·
It's not a question logic, but rather of revenue. Even though there are many in Lansing who would welcome a OBR, prudence dictates that to pacify the masses, the status quo should be maintained. The NRC is fearful that any change in current regulation will result in less licenses sold. The baiting ban was a forced change because there was a plan in place and the were following the plan. The wailing and gnashing of teeth which has followed is exactly what the DNR does not want. They are afraid that such a change would cause a similar tidal wave of scorn. Like I have always said, the deer management is easy, the human management is not.

#7 ·
It's not a question logic, but rather of revenue. Even though there are many in Lansing who would welcome a OBR, prudence dictates that to pacify the masses, the status quo should be maintained. The NRC is fearful that any change in current regulation will result in less licenses sold. The baiting ban was a forced change because there was a plan in place and the were following the plan. The wailing and gnashing of teeth which has followed is exactly what the DNR does not want. They are afraid that such a change would cause a similar tidal wave of scorn. Like I have always said, the deer management is easy, the human management is not.
One thing about humans.... we hate change out of our comfort zone :).

#8 ·
about the revenue MI dnr would lose is absurb.

they are allready loseing revenue because michigan hunters are going else where to hunt. We spent over $400 in gas alone last weekend going to and around our properties in. S. Ohio. only one tank was pruchased in MI. if Mi had the quality of bucks that other states produced, out of staters would spend there money here in MI. including those that live here.

sell the combo as two does or 1 doe and 1 buck and still sell the doe tags, problem solved w/ no loss of revenue. why the dnr cant figure this out is beyond me????

#9 ·
OBR fan here.....:D.....But I am a realist and I think going back to a 1/buck or doe archery tag and a 1/buck gun season tag would be a much easier transition for the TDMers.....

Who ever thought up the Combo tag should be slapped.....:coco:

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
OBR fan here.....:D.....But I am a realist and I think going back to a 1/buck or doe archery tag and a 1/buck gun season tag would be a much easier transition for the TDMers.....

Who ever thought up the Combo tag should be slapped.....:coco:
Neil,
Just look at the combo tag as part of the transition from 4 buck tags to 1 buck tag. The transition is just taking longer than we might like.:(
With the legislature caving in like they have on the CW baiting ban I am beginning to loose hope that what ever progress we've made of late in managing toward a healthy, sustainable, herd is in dyer jeopardy.:sad:

Big T

#13 ·
The sooner that this rule is put in play, the better off Michigan deer hunting will be.
PLEASE!

When did we have the best deer hunting in this state? Late 80's and early 90's. How many buck tags did we have then? 4 UNRESTRICTED buck tags! The hunting quality has continued to erode when we cut back the number of bucks tags, devalued the whitetail doe to pest status, and went antler crazy.

BTW, you make management decisions each time you shoot. Stop shooting a second buck if you are really concerned about it.

Dan

#16 ·
The OBR would force hunters to choose between archery season and firearm season as far as buck hunting is concerned. That is not a choice that many hunters, that I know, would want to make. Fred Bear fought for a separate and additional opportunity for archers, this would at least in part negate that possibility unless you choose to only participate in the archery seasons. What percentage of hunters actually take 2 bucks in one year? I have not heard data that this is a very significant number. If I am in error, please supply the more accurate high numbers. I do not believe that the OBR will cause many hunters to change the bucks they target. There are meat hunters and trophy hunters, each with their own agendas, and their choice will not change because of the OBR.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
The OBR would force hunters to choose between archery season and firearm season as far as buck hunting is concerned. That is not a choice that many hunters, that I know, would want to make. Fred Bear fought for a separate and additional opportunity for archers, this would at least in part negate that possibility unless you choose to only participate in the archery seasons. What percentage of hunters actually take 2 bucks in one year? I have not heard data that this is a very significant number. If I am in error, please supply the more accurate high numbers. I do not believe that the OBR will cause many hunters to change the bucks they target. There are meat hunters and trophy hunters, each with their own agendas, and their choice will not change because of the OBR.
There is no reason hunters would have to choose one season or another. You could get one buck tag to use whenever you want, much like the Combo structure today, but with only one buck tag. The number of second bucks actually taken is relatively small and insignificant to the discussion. What you downplay is the HUGE factor of the "Mulligan" mentality that having a second buck tag in a hunter's pocket drives. Many, many 1.5 year-old bucks lose their lives very early in the season only because the hunter can then claim he "got his buck" :rolleyes: and can keep on trying for "The Big One". Simply having a second buck tag is a far bigger problem than whether it is ultimately filled or not.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

#18 ·

How would the one buck rule make hunters choose between archery season and firearm season? You have a whole season to kill ONE buck (with the weapon of your choice) that makes you happy and its over...if you need more meat then shoot a doe to fill the freezer and help control the population.

Yes, the one buck rule would change the bucks that hunters target. Hunters are not going to use their tag on a 4pt knowing that they dont have a tag for the 10pt that may walk by later on in the season.

IF YOU WANT A TROPHY, LET THE LITTLE ONES GROW!
IF YOU WANT THE MEAT, SHOOT A DOE!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is no reason hunters would have to choose one season or another. You could get one buck tag to use whenever you want, much like the Combo structure today, but with only one buck tag. The number of second bucks actually taken is relatively small and insignificant to the discussion. What you downplay is the HUGE factor of the "Mulligan" mentality that having a second buck tag in a hunter's pocket drives. Many, many 1.5 year-old bucks lose their lives very early in the season only because the hunter can then claim he "got his buck" :rolleyes: and can keep on trying for "The Big One". Simply having a second buck tag is a far bigger problem than whether it is ultimately filled or not.

Best Regards,
What ridge also forgets

Those states that have OBR have also much higher antlerless harvest...most likely caused by the " OBR mentality".....putting a doe in the freezer and enjoying the larger age class and more balanced sex reatios.....;)

#20 ·
What percentage of hunters actually take 2 bucks in one year? I have not heard data that this is a very significant number. If I am in error, please supply the more accurate high numbers.
Hunters who harvest two bucks account for around an additional 35,000 bucks being harvested every year or approx. 13% of the total antlered harvest. The point you are missing is not how many extra bucks are harvested but how many yearling bucks get harvested because the hunter has another buck tag in his pocket. What OBR achieves is that most hunters will think twice about harvesting a spike or a 4 point during archery season, because they are then done buck hunting for the year. What they tend to do is harvest a doe during archery, unless a really nice buck walks by. One of the givens with an OBR is that antlerless harvest will increase and buck harvest will go down, that has been demonstrated in many states. You control populations by emphasizing doe harvest, that is why an OBR is so valuable.

#22 ·
I would like to hear opinions on what is the biggest stumbling block in going to a OBR. Is it the NRC? The legislature? The Farm Bureau? Give me your thoughts and opinions.
Money. We never should have started allowing multiple bucks per year. Except for very early in the last century, one buck was all that was allowed until the eighties or nineties. License fees could have been raised gradually instead of allowing multiple bucks and everyone would have been used to it and comfortable with it.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
If they simply changed the Combo tag to one buck, one antlerless for the same $30 price, I'd still buy it without blinking. I'd suggest they also consider allowing the purchase of either one Archery buck tag or one Firearms buck tag (but not both) for $20. However, I'd be perfectly fine if they offered only the combo tag I mentioned (in addition to antlerless tags). I don't think much revenue would be lost under this structure.

Best Regards,

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
If they simply changed the Combo tag to one buck, one antlerless for the same $30 price, I'd still buy it without blinking. I'd suggest they also consider allowing the purchase of either one Archery buck tag or one Firearms buck tag (but not both) for $20. However, I'd be perfectly fine if they offered only the combo tag I mentioned (in addition to antlerless tags). I don't think much revenue would be lost under this structure.

Best Regards,
These discussions never seem to take into consideration the large portion of the state that doesn't need the herd reduced. You can't just hand everyone an antlerless tag, and under your proposal firearms hunters could by a combo tag and shoot a doe anywhere in the state. So now you have to start playing games with the areas that the permits are good for, etc. Besides, saying "charge 20 dollars" might be ok for the next couple of years but eventually the price will need to be raised. The bottom line is that you can throw out all the different scenerios you want but nothing is going to change unless the revenue stream can be fully replaced in some simple way without making a bunch of new rules and issues that go along with it. It's not going to happen anytime soon. In fact, I would be surprised if it ever changed. One thing that will change, the antler restrictions in the UP will be coming to a pennisula near you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.