Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the decision I have to make. My son works for Gander Mountain and the store is giving all employee's a 30% discount on anything in the store including firearms!! I've had a longing to own a Browning Citori over and under for as long as I can remember. Pick me up off the floor, but the wife has given me the go ahead to buy one for my Christmas present!! (the do or die shopper in her knows I'll never get a deal like this again) Should I get a 12 or 20 ga? I like to duck hunt, but also like pheasant, grouse, and sporting clay shooting. I am in love with the slim, trim feel of the 20ga. in my hands. Is it blind lust, or should a more practical 12ga. be my choice? :D :D

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You poor, poor guy, Steve.

Decisions, decisions.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:

A buddy of mine got the exact same gun in a 20 this past fall..... and boy is it ever a peach to hold! You want the 20? Buy it. Besides: Can a guy ever have too many guns.

On the other hand, a 12 is definately more practical. You can hit those pheasants and pats at longer ranges, plus you could use it on ducks. AND, if you get a 3" chamber it'd serve as a goose gun, too.

On the other hand, I'll bet you already have a favored 12 that you use for ducks, roosters, etc. and the 12 is definately heavier than the 20. Besides, how many 12's does a fella nedd?

On the other hand, the 20 would really shine when you wanted to......

:)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Oh Steve.........

If I only had your problems?!?!?!?!? I'm going to complicate things just a bit more for you. While you are at Gander Mountain, please please please, you owe it to yourself, to pick up, fondle, swing, practice mount, and seriously consider a Beretta Silver Pigeon. I think you will be pleased with the comparison.

Oh, by the way, leave your wallet in the car the first time you go to the store.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What a choice to make! The only time I would regret the 20 might be on ducks. I have many friends that live and die w/20 ga. One ? on Pheas. do you hunt with a dog? If so the choice is even easier. Grouse, distance is rarely a factor on grouse. slip a mod into one of those invector tubes and your covered! My next gun will probably be a 20 ga citori lightning. I've got a 16 now that I LOVE. Have fun, and post your choice!!!

[This message has been edited by fishinlk (edited 12-05-2000).]

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Have you checked out a Ruger RedLabel with the English stock? The 20ga. is a sweet piece.

------------------
Take a Kid Hunting!

G

·
SteveBrandle : i am ashamed of you :((( any true sportsmen would think why not GET a 20 guage for X mas 2000 and a 12 Guage for 2001 :)) ( GET THEM BOTH ) My wife thinks i have adevious mind :(((

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
12 gauge. Too nice for the duck marsh. Go with the 20 and use your banged up old 12 for ducks. 20 is much easier to carry all day long in the field.

·
Registered
249 Posts
man wish i had problems like that!lol but seriously my pick would be the 12 ga and here's why.my size and strenth ! no im not a bodybuilder im 6'2" 210# and every twenty gauge i ever owned simply allows me to to much gun movement im sure if all i would handle is a twenty throughout the year i would finally adjust but the 12 ga is what i shoot all summer at sporting clays and trap.and when the twenty is in my hands for a change it just dosen't anchor itself and get's set in some rather awkward places on my shoulder.i miss more then my share of grouse when the twenty is in my hands because of this and i don't mind that but when it cost me clays in my league i do mind that.now the twenty is great for the lighter recoil but i solved that by getting 20 ga tubes for the 12 ga gun !andi am not talking about brute strenth here i just have it in the wrong places. i am a plumbing contractor and have always worked with my hands and the smaller forearm and stock allow my hands to do to much of the steering everytime i have had proffessional instructions on shooting the first thing i am told is you right hand is to strong for your own good so this is my 2 cents and what ever you choose merry christmas dude!

[This message has been edited by bonasabuster (edited 12-06-2000).]

·
Registered
412 Posts
[Steve,
I have the Citori 20 ga. and it is everything that you think it is. When I hunt Pheasants I use 3" #4 load copper shot and you would not believe how deadly a combo it is. For rabbits I use a standard field load. I guarantee you will never regret buying this gun. The only problem is after 5 years I seldom use any of my other guns. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
592 Posts
I have a Citori, 12ga, 26inch barrels,3 Inch Chambers, and up until they baned shooting lead at waterfowel it was the ONLY shotgun I used, It has shot (or shot at) just about every legal bird in Michigan and Iowa. I will admit one thing about it It does get a little heavy after about a half of day of pounding the brush, If I was going to do it all over again, I would buy the Upland Spec. in 12ga, (thats because I have the SP 10 for waterfowel) Bottom line: Buy what YOU want, not what someone else would like.. Yoda

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Steve, Using your best sales ability explain the math to your wife, if you buy both that's a 60% savings. Certainly she'll understand the logic in a double purchase, besides there must be an anniversary around the corner somewhere :D

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
When and where should Uncle Hunter send the check for a nice 12 ga and rifle? :) I could also use a fine scope and spotting scope! No matter what you choose, it will be the right decision. I would look at what you plan to reload in the future :) Good luck "feel badly for me" boy :) :)

------------------
ONE shot, ONE kill..No excuses, no exceptions EVER!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
The citori is a nice gun what ever gauge you pick. Mine is a 12ga. I have used it for all sorts of small game and clays. Just remember if ya do any trap or sporting clay shooting, you can really rub it in the faces of the other guys with 12s when you beat them with a 20.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the great thoughts. Yes, I do have a couple of 12's for ducks and I would have a hard time seeing mud on the new Citori. I'm 99% convinced it'll be the 20ga, but I'll only know for sure once I leave the store. Hey, I haven't looked at the Berreta's! Better go early and check them too. I'll let you know what I end up with.

·
Registered
12,674 Posts
hey sorry trying to figure out how this works on my phone

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

:lol:
I wondered why I was reading a thread from 11 years ago.:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
30,982 Posts
Yeah, me too. But it got me thinking, if I got an O/U, should I get it in 20 gage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, here's the decision I have to make. My son works for Gander Mountain and the store is giving all employee's a 30% discount on anything in the store including firearms!! I've had a longing to own a Browning Citori over and under for as long as I can remember. Pick me up off the floor, but the wife has given me the go ahead to buy one for my Christmas present!! (the do or die shopper in her knows I'll never get a deal like this again) Should I get a 12 or 20 ga? I like to duck hunt, but also like pheasant, grouse, and sporting clay shooting. I am in love with the slim, trim feel of the 20ga. in my hands. Is it blind lust, or should a more practical 12ga. be my choice? :D :D
You know, two great pleasures a man can own is a special dog and a special gun. My special gun is just and old Winchester 30.30 handed down to me. It has deer hunted the Wisconsin woods with me. It has elk hunted the Montana high country. It stays in my pickup and in my scabbard as I travel across the Montana high country on my horse, it's like an old friend. Sure, I have a lot nicer and more practical guns, but it is my favorite, and there is no price I wouldn't pay to get it back if I lost it. Buy the 20.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts