Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the part that gets my goat!! I have been hunting in Iowa for the past 18 years. In that time I have seen the whitetailed deer population explode in the areas that I hunt. However the hunter population at least that of the locals has stayed light. My point is this, there is a wonderful herd of deer in Iowa and it is growing. There are vast tracts of privately owned land that farmers would practically pay people to hunt. I have seen incredible bucks in just about every section that I have hunted, and people are saying things like "if I could afford to hunt there!" This is not a $10,000 dollar hunt, all it takes is some leg work getting permission and a $250.00 dollar tag.

The next thing is this!!! The word ranch, in Michigan the word could be defined as a small one story brick house built on every prime piece of phesant cover in the SLP. :rant: In Iowa, or Wyoming, or any of the states where the hunting is good!! The definition of a ranch is more like 10,000 acres of prime wildlife habitat used for grazing cattle. No high fences, no tame deer, just space.

I have buddies who watch the hunting shows and see guys in Alberta, or the Milk in Montana and everytime they shoot a deer I hear "well who couldn't do that on a ranch?"

I do not understand how there can be so many uneducated people out there in the woods, it almost scares me.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
MuskyDan said:
Here is the part that gets my goat!! I have been hunting in Iowa for the past 18 years. In that time I have seen the whitetailed deer population explode in the areas that I hunt. However the hunter population at least that of the locals has stayed light. My point is this, there is a wonderful herd of deer in Iowa and it is growing. There are vast tracts of privately owned land that farmers would practically pay people to hunt. I have seen incredible bucks in just about every section that I have hunted, and people are saying things like "if I could afford to hunt there!" This is not a $10,000 dollar hunt, all it takes is some leg work getting permission and a $250.00 dollar tag.

The next thing is this!!! The word ranch, in Michigan the word could be defined as a small one story brick house built on every prime piece of phesant cover in the SLP. :rant: In Iowa, or Wyoming, or any of the states where the hunting is good!! The definition of a ranch is more like 10,000 acres of prime wildlife habitat used for grazing cattle. No high fences, no tame deer, just space.

I have buddies who watch the hunting shows and see guys in Alberta, or the Milk in Montana and everytime they shoot a deer I hear "well who couldn't do that on a ranch?"

I do not understand how there can be so many uneducated people out there in the woods, it almost scares me.
Great Post!!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
OK, now that you're on your soap box:lol: , how many deer have you taken in Iowa over that last 18yrs? Any size to them? Have you gotten one every year?
If its that easy can I go with you next year:sad:
This might be your only post thats ever made sense, GOOD JOB!!!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I don't think he ever said it was easy! It's still funny to me how most folks in Michigan, as soon as they see a picture of a big buck automaticaly assume it's from an enclosure. There's a reason for that though I guess.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Swamp, just a little teasing between friend..MuskyDan will get the inside joke!
I agree just about everyone I know has no clue what its like outside of the walls they live/hunt in. They don't see it here so it can't be true somewhere else.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Swamp Monster said:
It's still funny to me how most folks in Michigan, as soon as they see a picture of a big buck automaticaly assume it's from an enclosure. There's a reason for that though I guess.
Maybe it has something to do with thefact that the folks shooting these nice deer aren't shooting the 1st 1.5 year old deer that comes along, ya think? ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Bomba....I don't think MuskyDan will be taking you anytime soon. Your luck (or lack of it) might be contagious!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts