Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i would share these pic's from the late 70's that I got from my aunt. I'm scanning them so I can preserve them....such great pic's. For those that hunt the shiawassee flooded woods and really never seen them when they had trees (dead) standing...and without loose strife, you will see a huge difference 30 years can make.

this is my dad in what i would say is late 70's. I started hunting in 81' so its somewhere between 78'-82'.

This is my dad in I believe south prior rd. in november.

will add a few more as i get them scanned.

*edit - after talking with my dad he says these pic's must be pre-76' because the ice storm of 76' knocked alot of those trees down.

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's couple more. Sure miss having all that timber.

This is my dad & aunt (flooded woods again) and uncle Leroy below.

enjoy!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
And ya see Kid, they didn't need no stinkin' big ol' duck boat with a winch on it :evil: ...just an old canoe and what looks like a trusty Evinrude. And breaking ice to boot!

Great pictures! I for one was never back in the woods when the trees were still there....you're right it's different. But you said that the loosestrife is under control now right? So the next step should be some kind of reforestation plan with some lowland trees and such, right?.

Wish I had a couple pictures from my first year or two of duckin', cause it wouldn't be pretty...trust me. I think it was 1977, and my Dad was a pheasant hunter, not a duck hunter, so I borrowed his old canvas upland jacket, threw on a Jones cap, and I was a duck hunter :lol: Fortunately for me, I met a guy in college who knew what he was doing when it came to ducks, and the rest is history :cool:

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe, i hope some others will post up some old duckhunting photo's, i love the old pic's. Friend of mine has a few of his grandpa hunting the flats in the 40's & 50's......just awesome pic's. They didn't think to much about limits back then.

ya the loose strife was dead this year but skeletons were still there. They say its gonna take 2-3 years for it to really show...as teh beetles attack what sprouts again next season. We'll see I guess.

Where's the WINCH??? haha. And ya thats a 4hp evinrude weedless...still got the motor.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Very cool old pics! Thanks for sharing them!

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Have plenty of pics, but unfortunately not plenty of time to scan :lol:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great pictures Kid! Thank you for sharing them with us. If I get a chance I will scan some oldies myself

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great old pics! I think I know those old farts! ;)
There were not to many women hunting back then.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Oh Yaaaa! Great pics Kid......Heck those are normal pics for me ?.....LOL
Now ya got me going, I'll be posting as soon as I find them and scan them.
This is gonna be a good thread............ :)

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike L said:
Oh Yaaaa! Great pics Kid......Heck those are normal pics for me ?.....LOL
Now ya got me going, I'll be posting as soon as I find them and scan them.
This is gonna be a good thread............ :)
hehe, can't wait. Nothin better to do now that season is over. I like how my dad tried to look like elvis......great sideburns. Still laughin at that.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Shiawassee_Kid said:
hehe, can't wait. Nothin better to do now that season is over. I like how my dad tried to look like elvis......great sideburns. Still laughin at that.
Whaddaya mean "look like Elvis"? I think Elvis is still alive and well, and living somewhere in the SRSGA..ha :lol:

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shark6 said:
is that a chessie in the canoe?
yes, unfortunately if i remember right that dogs name was Rex and he died from his stomach/intestines twisting....found him dead in the kennel one morning. At least that is what the vet diagnosed it as.....dad was pretty upset over that one. great dog.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts