Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy here at work collects old outdoor stuff. In the last couple of week he has brought in a couple of outdoor mags. One was a 1947 copy of Field and Stream and the other was a 1961 copy of Sports Afield. Now with me being 34 years old reading through these mags were totally facinating. First of all in the '47 copy, one of the illustrations for an article was done by one of my buddies great uncle. Besides that, I could not believe all of the advertisements for booze! It seams every third page was an advertisement for some type of liquor. Did you know back in 1947 you could buy 3,000 acres of land with a river going through it and buildings in a prime hunting area for a whopping $50,000. Yes, thats right five zero!! To look at the ads for new boats was pretty funny.
In the '61 Sports Afield they had an article about varmint hunting, it had a picture of a guy sitting in the weeds with a turn table with an album that ran off batteries. No, it was not a remote CD. All the pictures of bows were all recurves with wooden arrows. I guess there was no issue of Carbons vs Aluminum back then. Oh yea, the article with the bow hunter had him posing next to his Grizzly bear that he had shot. They advertise a Remington 870 for $89.45. If you are interested in property in Florida, 5 acres would cost you $740. If anyone was interested in a Labrador Retriever for duck hunting, top quality stock pup $50.
There is so much interesting info in these mags its crazy. He picked these things up at garage sales for a couple bucks a piece. So if you are out and see these things and they are dated before you were born pick one up and read it. It will put modern day things in perspective!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,335 Posts
I love to thumb through old mags like that!
I'll take the land for sale right now!!:D

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Some time after the depression, in the early 30's my grandfather bought 40 acres near Gaylord and another 40 acres near Traverse City, he got both of them for 40 dollars each, yes one dollar an acre. Unfortunately they were both sold in the 50's when times were tough and my dad needed the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts