Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age did you bring your kids to deer camp? My friend is bringing his 9yr old along this year. I dont really have a problem with it but my biggest concern is he's going to go stir crazy hanging out in the travel trailer for a week.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
I would say nine is too young for rifle camp. I would say 14 at the very youngest, more like 15. There is some stuff that goes on at deer camp that isn't really for the little guys. I am all about taking young people hunting, but not to deer camp just yet.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My father started taking me when I was old enough to bowhunt (12). It started out the first few years as 3 day trips, then grew from there. Guess it all depends on the kid. What kind of attention span they have, interest in the outdoors, etc. If he enjoys that stuff, he may be OK, but if he doesn't have much interest in the woods, then he may go stir crazy.
It may help to get him involved in the camp. Let him contribute to the work that needs to be done (food prep, hanging deer, cutting fire wood) and let him share his stories of the hunt. It will help him to feel more like part of the camp instead of someone in the way of the grown ups.
Getting them involved early helps to build the spark for the future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say 15, thats when I first started going. If he waits it will make him appreciate it that much more when he goes. That first year is something you never forget. I would personally not take my son until he is old enough to hunt. One thing my pa did say on the way up is what happens north of the bridge stays north of the bridge!

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
At what age did you bring your kids to deer camp? My friend is bringing his 9yr old along this year. I dont really have a problem with it but my biggest concern is he's going to go stir crazy hanging out in the travel trailer for a week.

9 is fine
But why would he leave them in camp all day?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont see nothing wrong with it. get him in the woods sitting with ya. i was 7-8 yrs old when i started sitting with dad. there is lots to lurn before the little one gets to start hunting with a bow or gun.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
As early as the kids want to come. If they can walk and keep quiet bring them.

As for hanging out in the trailer no thanks. If they want to stay inside and play games all day they can do that at home.

Camp in my opinion is about family. If my wife, my kid or dog want to come. I bring them. This means I don't always get my quarry but atleast I have great memories to spend with them. Every year somethign happens that we can sit by the fire in March or campfire in July and remenise (sp) about.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
9 may be a little too young but, only one way to find out.

Keep 'em in the woods and outta the hoods.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For me, the first 3 or 4 days I'm in the woods for the entire day, which I think is too much for a little one to handle, so I took my kids up for Thanksgiving, sitting for a few hours in the morning and evening, kinda break em in slowly, but as soon as they were old enough to hunt, they went for the opener, and they sat all day in the woods..

Thats the way my dad broke me in, and it seemed to work so I did the same.
I think at that young of an age, you could turn them off of hunting if they were in the woods that long
Let's face, hunting can be pretty boring at times..

Also when my kids were old enough to go, camp changed because my kids were there. when the kids are there, we have to act like adults..

my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It really depends what your camp is all about. Our old was about partying, and we had people coming from everywhere to stay out all night. I was the only one that made it out for every hunt during rifle season. During the rest of the year everything is open to everyone, but rifle camp tends to get crazy as was usually limited to 18+.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My dad said i had to be 14 before i could go to deer camp and he ment it because i did'nt get to go untill then.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would say when they are old enough to hunt according to state law which is 12 years old. I wish I was able to go when I was old enough to hunt, my parents would let me miss school. I did eventually skip school my senior year of High School, that was because I was acing all my classes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was able to go at 14 for 5 days provided grades were all A's and B's and i fetched all the home work for the 3-5 days of school i missed. I chose the same with my step son and it blew up in my face as he got all A's hunter safty and only likes small game hunting as hes scared of a 20 guage after he missed 2 does and i said we need to practice with it . 4 more years and my son will be there maybe. Sorry to high jack thread just bummed me out lol. The camp i goto kinda act like adults but theres alot of drinking smoking ,cigs , poker and I dont want my kids to think its alright at 9. I definately wouldnt take a 9 year old to sit in camper all day alone. And like stated you send a 9 year old in woods all day in cold weather he might say id rather stay home in heat and cross stich with mom lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thats about how old I was when I first went to deer camp and I remember every year from then on. Thats what I think got me hooked for life, to a young kid that is a lot of fun to be with his dad and his dads buddys, hering all the story's from the passed years all the good food and the rest of the great things of deer camp.

·
Registered
792 Posts
We were old enough for deer camp when we learned "what happened at deer camp stayed at deer camp."

We (my brother and I) were about 14 or 15 when we started going. At first it was only a few days but as we got older it became longer and longer.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Depends on the kid, camp and dads priorities, but I agree that 14 is a good age.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22 Posts
9 is fine. My son is 8 and this will be his 3rd year. I usually hunt the first 3-4 days and then he comes out. He has a blast! :D I will say we are more of a hunting camp then a drinking camp.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My dad started taking me when I was 9. He took two weeks off for deer camp every year and would drive back home (4hrs) have Thanksgiving dinner w/ the family and we would head up to camp w/ the leftovers. I am very thankful he did this and remember being too excited to sleep waiting for him to come home. Sometimes I even got to miss a day of school:lol:. It may not be for all but I am sure glad I got to go. I have some great pics to look back on and spent some time w/ some hard core old time hunters I remember to this day. I must have been a little advance for my age though cause I started driving the two tracks when I was about 11:yikes:. This was under close supervision of my dad(truck driver/race car driver) and a very long time ago:lol:. Now the tables have turned and my father is in poor health. I am doing everything I can to make sure he is able to get in the woods whenever he is feeling up to it. Enjoy your season everyone and be safe!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I went to Camp the first year i could gun hunt, i think that is the time to bring the youngsters....I learned many life lessons at camp so if you think your kid is ready to learn these lessons than bring em!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I remember going out to sit with my dad when I was 9. Couldn't sit very long and came in after about an hour. He stayed for a while after that cause I knew the woods very well by that time.

My son's birthday is Nov. 19 and I took him out with me to hunt on his 5th birthday. We only sat for an hour or so and he wanted to come in so we got up and I planned on bringing him in and dropping him off and going back out. He said "well if your going to go back out I want to go back out with ya". So went and sat for another hour or so. He is 10 now and will be 11 next week. He is going to spend the night at camp with me for the first time this year and go out on opening morning.

I have a special situation cause deer camp is about 300 yards from the house. I never totally get away from the wife and kids and the chores when I am at camp. :sad:

I think the age depends on the kid. My son has spent a lot of time with us at camp and seems to enjoy it, but he is not stuck there. He can ride his bike through the woods to get to the house in less than 3 minutes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts