Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Very old or very unhealthy. Either way he doesn’t look like he’d make it through winter. Good one to take out of the herd.
If he is really old, I’d bet he could tell a story or two

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
My guess unhealthy deer can get many diseases or it could even be cwd. Not many deer in Michigan get old and if they do they do not look like that unless they have some health issue going on. Friend shot a 15 year old doe after aging from DNR looked like a small healthy doe. Only has long spindly legs but had no admiralty it took the lab to determine its age.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Old, sick, hit by a car, only 1 way to find out. It does look like he has a dog harness on though that's weird!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been skeptical myself but here is a couple reasons I can’t rule out age. I have pics of him in the same frame as one of the best bucks I’ve ever had on camera and his frame match’s a big mature deer. Also this property is quite large for the area and hadn’t been hunted for 20 years until I started last year.

I also agree there’s only one way to tell and if I see him in October I’ll hopefully have a follow up story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a few daylight pics. The reason for the night time pic was that we've had fog every morning and the pics are either blurry or washed out when the sun starts to burn through. Hopefully these give a better view. I sure appreciate the interest in this pic! Plant Green Nature Natural landscape Vegetation Plant Green Natural landscape Vegetation Tree Plant Plant community Green Tree Vegetation Plant Green People in nature Grass Natural landscape

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spy Point must automatically delete pics after 30 days or so from the app. Most of my August pics are gone.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Here are a few daylight pics. The reason for the night time pic was that we've had fog every morning and the pics are either blurry or washed out when the sun starts to burn through. Hopefully these give a better view. I sure appreciate the interest in this pic! View attachment 788140 View attachment 788141 View attachment 788142 View attachment 788143
I have to say that I don't see anything from these pics that makes that buck unusual. Looks older then his young running mates, but that's all I see. Short tines with good mass. Just me maybe. Could be wrong. Tag him and check his teeth. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
13,288 Posts
Tough to say, maybe an old injury caused the sort of deformed short tines and exposed looking hips. Although the last picture of him broadside he looks a little thin but generally fine and not that old where he's on his decline.

Reactions: KL747

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
Still a Tough call on if he's running on all cylinders heath wise.
Weight could be better , but there are summer skinny deer a bit leaner than others.
A hard rut and not the best recovery could have had him come out of winter lighter than most /average deer in the area..
Green browse don't pack weight on a deer that needs to catch up.
Could have worn from sand teeth too...
Skinny is skinny though. Follow him and peak weight should be soon. Then back down hill depending on rut participation level.

Reactions: KL747

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I’m leaning toward older than 5 but the pics are not good for judging age. I can’t zoom on them for some reason. Definitely has a long nose and big frame.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts