Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a still from a trailcam video I got of this buck Saturday morning as he passed by an active scrape. I’m no expert on aging deer by body physique but I’m thinking this is a mature buck? What do you think? This isn’t a, “should I shoot post?”, cause I WILL, if given the chance. I’m just trying to learn what guys are looking at to judge age on the hoof? Big gut, swayed back, Roman nose, where the neck meets the brisket…? Let’s hear your thoughts. TIA
Atmosphere Natural landscape Sky Grass Atmospheric phenomenon

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks old to me. Shoot em!
That's the plan man! I really don't care if he was 2.5 or 4.5, I'd shoot! I run a lot of cams year round and this one just caught my eye as looking "different" from even the larger racked bucks I've seen this year. Now if I would have just been in my stand Saturday morning.....

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
This is a still from a trailcam video I got of this buck Saturday morning as he passed by an active scrape. I’m no expert on aging deer by body physique but I’m thinking this is a mature buck? What do you think? This isn’t a, “should I shoot post?”, cause I WILL, if given the chance. I’m just trying to learn what guys are looking at to judge age on the hoof? Big gut, swayed back, Roman nose, where the neck meets the brisket…? Let’s hear your thoughts. TIA
Is this the one you killed?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
This is a still from a trailcam video I got of this buck Saturday morning as he passed by an active scrape. I’m no expert on aging deer by body physique but I’m thinking this is a mature buck? What do you think? This isn’t a, “should I shoot post?”, cause I WILL, if given the chance. I’m just trying to learn what guys are looking at to judge age on the hoof? Big gut, swayed back, Roman nose, where the neck meets the brisket…? Let’s hear your thoughts. TIA View attachment 794335
Horse

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
This picture makes him look mature for sure, which is 4.5 or older for me. But trail cams are so deceiving that I am sometimes surprised by a bucks size when they actually come near me in real life. Typically they look bigger on the hoof but once in awhile they shrink.

I'm referring to rack size and this is a daylight, broadside picture of a large bodied deer.

Good luck getting him and send out his teeth if you do succeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts