Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sunday was my FIL's birthday so we took him out for an afternoon hunt. We have tried hard the last few years, but he has not shot a bird since being diagnosed. I though for sure this was it! After A LOT of convincing we had two toms locked in on the decoys and coming in hard. Oblivious to the blind and he was lined up perfect for the shot. About 30 yards from shooting range they come out of strut, pop their heads up, and take off spooked. We were very confused, knowing we didn't spook them. Just so happened the neighbor decided to clear brush in the fence row a couple hundred yards behind us at the worst possible time. Oh well, maybe next time - it was a great experience regardless!

My season ends Friday. I'll be out in the afternoons and a couple mornings as well. Good luck guys!

Reactions: Sprytle

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I hunted three separate spots Tuesday that all had a lot of birds over the weekend and not one gobble.

Getting down to the wire, I'll hunt again tonight and tomorrow morning but this heat is not much fun.

However, this season has been a huge success. Had a lot of fun hunting with my wife, and my FIL shot a tom last night!!! This is very likely his last year turkey hunting so I could not be happier for him. This is probably one of the two we called in this weekend. He shot him 12 yards from the blind. You can see his gun with the adaptive trigger in the background. Super excited, even though I wasn't there for the kill shot. A lot of time and effort went into that moment and I'm proud of him for never wanting to give up or give in to his disease.

Good luck guys.
Plant Tree Wild turkey Hat Hunting

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Dub thats Awesome! I know the time and effort you put in to make this happen and it just thrills me you guys got it done!:cool:
Couldnt be happier for you and your family!
How Cool!! Big Congrats to ALL!

·
Registered
21,250 Posts
I hunted three separate spots Tuesday that all had a lot of birds over the weekend and not one gobble.

Getting down to the wire, I'll hunt again tonight and tomorrow morning but this heat is not much fun.

However, this season has been a huge success. Had a lot of fun hunting with my wife, and my FIL shot a tom last night!!! This is very likely his last year turkey hunting so I could not be happier for him. This is probably one of the two we called in this weekend. He shot him 12 yards from the blind. You can see his gun with the adaptive trigger in the background. Super excited, even though I wasn't there for the kill shot. A lot of time and effort went into that moment and I'm proud of him for never wanting to give up or give in to his disease.

Good luck guys.
View attachment 831572
That's awesome! Happy for both of you. Fantastic bird for a very deserving man. Makes for a very successful season for sure

·
Registered
21,250 Posts
I was hoping someone was out hunting but I guess not. I've been out and Julie has been with me when she has time. We've seen birds just haven't had a good shot yet. You guys still have time to get it done been waiting to hear about your hunts. Good luck .

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I hunted right until the last minute and had a couple very close calls but no shots. Back on regular schedule next year!

Until then, I still have a few friends with tags. Hopefully I can get out with them.

Good luck to the rest of you

·
Premium Member
31,519 Posts
I hunted right until the last minute and had a couple very close calls but no shots. Back on regular schedule next year!

Until then, I still have a few friends with tags. Hopefully I can get out with them.

Good luck to the rest of you

SKUNK?

Reactions: Dubllung4

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry guys. been traveling alot for work and weekends are kicking my ass. I thought I was fully recovered but I am not. I have ZERO energy and this sucks. I have hunted a bit. Lots of action and close calls. I have always been an early morning person and loved killing turkeys and still being to work by 8. I might have to take Sprytle's advice and hunt them in the evening. I started turkey hunting when evening hunting wasn't even a THING?? LOL. I like mornings. UGH!! I won't give up and I am on birds, so we will see what happens. If you guys have options, Do not have a stroke. I got really lucky this time and feel very fortunate, but man it will kick your butt.

GG

·
Registered
226 Posts
Been out a number of times... called in a nice bird for my son. Called in a group of birds for a friend who ended up taking a jake. I will start focusing on my bird now. Definitely time to get the thermocell out and fired up. The mosquitoes were relentless Saturday morning. Probably going to switch up to a half-strut jake and mating hen pair of decoys.

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Good to hear from you guys and glad youre making it out hunting! Yeah skeeters are real bad now! I was out shrooming on Sat and was gettin eaten up pretty good.
Hope you are feeling better soon Adam. Take it easy and take care of yourself! Thats most important!
Good Luck All!!

101 - 120 of 133 Posts