Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Been on a group that has 5 nice longbeards in it since daybreak. I had 2 jakes close with a big one angling in from mid field. Just didnt come close enough. I started belly crawling thru some thick stuff closest to the main group. I was really going at it back and forth with the lead hen and thought i could turn her my way. Then they all started heading west. Too far away when they went by. There was 4 hens that came out down aways on the other end of the field. Thats where they are all at now struttin. Im still watchin em hoping they will turn back this way and come down the edge. I set one hen deke out before light but it is so wet it fell over early.

Good Luck All

·
Registered
21,301 Posts
Great bird Dave! NOW what are you going to do with your time??? :LOL:
Is that the one you called over from the neighbors hayfield?

Awesome Bud.....Way to start things out!
I'm a little disappointed it went so quick but I've been on the other end before. The wife has a tag so I guess I'll be the caller now. Yes it's the bird that popped up in the neighbors field. Took him forever to commit but once he saw my strutter decoy he came in running. I've got a bigger bird hanging around but this one gets us going.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Awesome job OGB, really nice bird! I was up early this morning to catch a flight to Austin. First time I’ve missed opening morning in awhile, that hurt! I’ll be back after them next week though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31,557 Posts
Great bird OGB! :cool:

Reactions: old graybeard

·
Premium Member
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Ok....sorry OGB...I know you will be living the rest of the season thru our stories...lol.

This morning got on that same group of birds i hunted yesterday. Light gobbling off the roost but when it was time they all sailed down together. Again right to the middle of the field.
There are a couple of plump pigs in the group with some serious ropeage! They made quick work of heading to the opposite treeline to head west. Long story short again i watched them down at that end sat till 11 with nothing else going on.
Got out here this afternoon at 430. There was 5 birds out west but heading my way so i crawled up to a brush pile and 2 nice toms one being one of the big ones. Its rainy and blowing pretty good. They head thru an opening on the opposite treeline so i wait till they disappear and set up my tent just inside the woods. They will come back thru that opening sometime soon i hope and I sit here waiting for them!

·
Registered
21,301 Posts
Ok....sorry OGB...I know you will be living the rest of the season thru our stories...lol.

This morning got on that same group of birds i hunted yesterday. Light gobbling off the roost but when it was time they all sailed down together. Again right to the middle of the field.
There are a couple of plump pigs in the group with some serious ropeage! They made quick work of heading to the opposite treeline to head west. Long story short again i watched them down at that end sat till 11 with nothing else going on.
Got out here this afternoon at 430. There was 5 birds out west but heading my way so i crawled up to a brush pile and 2 nice toms one being one of the big ones. Its rainy and blowing pretty good. They head thru an opening on the opposite treeline so i wait till they disappear and set up my tent just inside the woods. They will come back thru that opening sometime soon i hope and I sit here waiting for them!
Sounds like a solid plan Bob. When birds won't cooperate an ambush can be the answer. I've made it work several times just sit back relax they'll be coming.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts