Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I went and stood in the road and listened this morning.
Heard several toms gobbling , some to the north , some to the south.
Was trying to figure which ones to go after. About 5 minutes go by and then I heard this one to the east. No doubt which way I was going !
Headed east , across the field and into the woods. 2 toms gobbling 200 yards away and coming.
Waited about 10 minutes and I can see a turkey coming through the woods. Called a little bit and 2 toms gobbled , but not the turkey I was looking at. Looked and looked for a beard , but couldn't see one.
A couple minutes later , this tom comes into view. He's 60 yards away and coming closer. He slows down. Looking and gobbling. There is another tom gobbling in the brush and I can still see the other one not saying anything. This one finally closes to a spot and distance where I know I can kill him. I had the chance and took him.
Not real big , but he's a turkey and he'll taste good.
Had to go a year without turkey meat , but not this year ! LOL

20200524_065746.jpg
20200524_083250.jpg
20200524_083355.jpg
20200524_083507.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Congrats JB!! Sounds like a lot of action and a great hunt. Fine bird. You did good...Nice Work!

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Any update on your high ground birds FM? They had to move up somewhere...never have seen one swimming around like a duck!! LOL. Good Luck Man!

·
Registered
18,772 Posts
I went and stood in the road and listened this morning.
Heard several toms gobbling , some to the north , some to the south.
Was trying to figure which ones to go after. About 5 minutes go by and then I heard this one to the east. No doubt which way I was going !
Headed east , across the field and into the woods. 2 toms gobbling 200 yards away and coming.
Waited about 10 minutes and I can see a turkey coming through the woods. Called a little bit and 2 toms gobbled , but not the turkey I was looking at. Looked and looked for a beard , but couldn't see one.
A couple minutes later , this tom comes into view. He's 60 yards away and coming closer. He slows down. Looking and gobbling. There is another tom gobbling in the brush and I can still see the other one not saying anything. This one finally closes to a spot and distance where I know I can kill him. I had the chance and took him.
Not real big , but he's a turkey and he'll taste good.
Had to go a year without turkey meat , but not this year ! LOL

View attachment 537855 View attachment 537857
View attachment 537859 View attachment 537861
Sounds like a great hunt. Nice job getting it done!

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
4BE2F080-C314-4ED7-B6BE-34475BDE4743.jpeg
Any update on your high ground birds FM? They had to move up somewhere...never have seen one swimming around like a duck!! LOL. Good Luck Man!
Check with QDMAMAN the one he shot looks like it was swimming..
I’m glad I carried my duck call that morning! True story!

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I see they updated the scoring thread this morn and Dub has not got his up there yet. I PM'ed him. Hopefully he will soon. No word on FM yet. Hopefully he has found some higher ground.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Checked out the fields yesterday... saw no birds, but a doe and newborn twin fawns. Fields are damp but passable, mostly. I am shocked at how much crap washed up and how high the water got. Plan on heading out tomorrow morning and trying to catch them on the high ground. hoping for the best.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Got your message Bob, I'll submit pics shortly.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts