Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

121 - 140 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok. So I’ve been watching these birds in our mile everyday. Had my heart set on killing one on our 200 acres so I just kept at the birds on our farm. My problem was I kept having opportunities to kill birds and I wouldn’t pull the trigger. I know. Good problem to have but it was weird having a season this long. Well these gobblers were down to one hen last Friday. Monsoon comes and on Tuesday they have 7 hens with them. I assume some nests flooded out. I had today off so I asked the neighbor if he’d let me hunt one morning. He said yes The birds were pretty quiet on the limb except one hen. I never called until they hit the ground. They worked away from me for quite awhile. Finally I saw a couple hens working back my way. And of course the big boy was in tow. Shot him at about 7:00 at maybe 30 yards. Was a great season. Pure Michigan

·
Premium Member
8,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
So I got setup before daylight at the spot where I saw all those jakes. I heard some hens talking early but I kept quiet. I had my new decoys out, a hen and quarter strut jake. Ive used a jake deke before but it always seemed to spook em for some reason. Anways they look so nice together that's what I went with. I heard a gobble aways behind me early and gave a few yelps but never heard it again. So Im in my little outhouse teepee blind that is not for Xbow hunting! 7:30 I peek out the litlle opening I have on my left side (W) and see a red head on the fenceline Im on. He starts walking across the opening and Im trying to unzip that window and line up the bow while clucking a bit trying to get him to stop. He doesn't. I think he his going to loop around to my setup but he just gives them a glance and starts to angle out the other way still walking. Im calling a bit trying to get him turned around but nope he walks all the way across to the woods THEN he stops turns around gobbles and heads into the woods. As soon as he is out of sight I get out and pull that damn jake deke! I think I might have a concussion for all the times I hit myself in the head! LOL. I call gobblergetter and tell him about it. Im super bummed thinking that might have been my only chance. He tells me relax dude, sit tight, youll get another chance! Im doubtful. About 9:30 I see a Tom with 5 jakes but they are across on the woodline heading east away from me. Sit tight I think. Around 11 I hear a gobble from the across woods. I call a little and he gobbles again. I shut up and grab the binos. I see a red head just inside the woodline walking parallel to the west. A little soft calling brings him out but he is just strutting back and forth along the woodline. This goes on for a bit until I see 2 jakes running full tilt to my hen! Well hes not going to stand for that and takes off on a dead run behind them. Here come all three of them! As gobblergetter told me it all can change in a second! I know that but the way things have been going I wasn't feeling it. The jakes get there first and stop for just a sec then he blows in and runs them both off. He then turns around and walks right up to my hen broadside! THWACK! He takes off across the clearing and at about 1/2 way tumbles! Thank God! And Thank You DNR for extending my season this year as I needed all of it! LOL. Oh and thanks to those jakes too! :)

121 - 140 of 194 Posts