Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Best of luck Bob. I've seen some birds so far but nothing that's wanted to die yet.
Called in a group of 5 Toms at 7:00 am opening morning. Let my son take his pick, and they scattered before I got a chance at a double (we were in different, but relatively close blinds). Tried that afternoon and the next but the howling winds put a damper on things. Gonna try a different property and let that one set.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ive been out quite a bit before and after work. Things started off pretty slow but has been picking up this week a bit. The strong winds lately either has had the birds quiet or I cant hear them. Yesterday morn called in 4 jakes that hung around awhile but I had to get to work and after packing up my stuff and walking back to the truck I saw a big gobbler just off the powerline edge but had to go. Last night I had a real nice one with a group of hens out in the woods a ways. That whole group I could not get to budge but did note the route they took when they left to head back into the swamp. I think this would be a better morning set-up. Anyways not a whole lot to report but putting the pieces together and will get it done hopefully soon! Good Luck All!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
This season has been off to a great start for me. I have gotten the chance to hunt more than usual but have not started hunting for "me" yet. I have called in 3 toms inside of 25 yards for my wife but she just hasn't had the right opportunity. She didn't feel comfortable shooting into thick brush and twice they came and left fast. I have a good feeling she will make it happen soon.

Monday I called in a bird for a friend who is 16 that I have mentored for the last few years. This was our first time turkey hunting together and it could not have been better. The tom was roosted in a river bottom and came running through the swamp full sprint right after flydown. He came in on the weak side and we were skylined bad. Luckily as he turned to leave he hesitated just long enough for Owen to make a great shot and bag his first bird. Needless to say he is hooked. We plucked his bird and plan to smoke it whole.

Good luck guys, I should get out more this weekend and will update. Loving the new season structure.
IMG_8694.JPG
IMG_8697.JPG
IMG_8695.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hows the huntin going team? Spent the weekend walleye fishing the opener in Bay City on the Sag then over to the Titt and we got a 2 man limit from shore there Saturday eve.

20200425_205258.jpg

Got some sleep Sun morn and headed out huntin about 3. I was going back to a woodlot I haven't hunted yet but have seen birds there. About half way across this smaller field just inside the woodline I see 2 hens and a big strutter, well they saw me but didn't run they just kinda moved back into the woods. I swung around to the south to get away from them and got set up. I called a bit but the only response I got was aways to the east , I call they gobble. Pretty sure they were yard birds under some bird feeders. Almost impossible to pull them away. Any way no luck but I went back to my truck and the landowner said at 6 there was a big tom walking where I had set up my blind a couple times in the past week. Of Course! :(. Raining after work tonight but is supposed to be a nice still morning tomorrow so I got set up in a spot right after work and will be in there in the morn before work. Feeling lucky!! :). Good Luck all!

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well had a lot of gobbling this morn and saw 6 jakes and 8-10 hens. Had to leave by 8 to get to work. Longbeard probably showed just after I left...? Anyways got a new spot to set up tonight. Supposed to rain pretty good tonight and the next couple of days, we will see.

·
Registered
18,772 Posts
I've been at it everyday bouncing around 3 different properties. Seeing mostly hens and Jake's up close and a few stutters that refuse to come in. I really want to take one from my own property but the Tom's that were there have moved off. I do have a really nice Jake that has called my place home and he's tempting me. I hate to do it now but he may end up in my freezer before it's over.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Went to a new spot tonight. I have been successful in the past here but 1st time this year. I thought about just setting up for the morning but thought I might as well hunt before the rain got here. Didn't see any birds tonight but saw quite a few tracks and scat in the field. I know there are some big birds around. Sat till it started to sprinkle then it started to really come down. Got pretty wet on the way in but if its not to bad out in the morning, Im going.

That's kinda the way my season has been so far too Dave. Lots of jakes, lots of hens but other than opening day have not had a real chance at a longbeard yet. It will come but I certainly don't want to take it deep into May! Mushrooms and fish are waiting for me to take this turkey! But until it happens turkeys will be my main focus. Well...except for last weekend when we whupped on the eyes!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Went out after work last night and didn't hear any. Did see 3 hens but they were all by themselves. Went out this morn. No gobbling at all. I know birds are at this spot but they aint sayin nothin! I took a little walk before I had to get to work and over a small hill were a jake and a couple hens. Ill be at it all weekend.... Other than OGB, because I see his LFTB posts...Is anyone else on this team hunting?? Maybe some of you start today?? Share a little bit. Seeing or hearing much?? Love to hear about some hunts. Good Luck All...

·
Registered
18,772 Posts
Had some excitment today. Put a couple decoys out on a hayfield and every so often gave a few calls. Pretty soon I spotted a red/white and blue head coming over a rise in the field. He stopped and study the decoys and then fanned out. I thought he was going to come in but then a flock of hens a Jake's showed up behind him and off he went. :( I've spotted a tom in that corner of the field 3 times now so I'll be back again in the morning.

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Get em OGB! I went out after work to set up my tent for the morning , did it quick and was walking back and walked right in to a guy sitting in camo with a facemask, shotgun, and white tennis shoes. :rolleyes: There is a lot of new houses right there and I can see a lot of problems coming. Ill have the Xbow. Anyways had quite a conversation and said hes hunted there for 15 yrs... I said gave you permission? He mentioned a name and I told him nice try those people have been dead for 10 yrs. Went back and forth a bit and left it at I will be right there in the morning and really hope that I don't see you!! I was not in the mood to argue much as I had just found out that one of my best friends is in the hospital with bleeding on the brain and masses found on his liver and colon. Hasn't been a very good day. We will see what happens in the morning. Not real excited about it now. Sure wish I had the funds to buy my own 40....or 20... anything really! Well, Good Luck All! Talk to you tomorrow. Goodnite

·
Registered
18,772 Posts
Get em OGB! I went out after work to set up my tent for the morning , did it quick and was walking back and walked right in to a guy sitting in camo with a facemask, shotgun, and white tennis shoes. :rolleyes: There is a lot of new houses right there and I can see a lot of problems coming. Ill have the Xbow. Anyways had quite a conversation and said hes hunted there for 15 yrs... I said gave you permission? He mentioned a name and I told him nice try those people have been dead for 10 yrs. Went back and forth a bit and left it at I will be right there in the morning and really hope that I don't see you!! I was not in the mood to argue much as I had just found out that one of my best friends is in the hospital with bleeding on the brain and masses found on his liver and colon. Hasn't been a very good day. We will see what happens in the morning. Not real excited about it now. Sure wish I had the funds to buy my own 40....or 20... anything really! Well, Good Luck All! Talk to you tomorrow. Goodnite
Sounds like a real bad day. Prayers for your friend. Hoping things get better for you.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
prayers for your buddy Bob...
bummer on the encounter at your spot i know you told me you thought that might go down..that sucks
good luck this morning

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’ve been out and had lots of excitement. I’ll try to update today or tomorrow.

Good luck guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sprytle

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Sounds like a real bad day. Prayers for your friend. Hoping things get better for you.
Thanks Dave
And so it continues …
Im up at 5 and cant wait to hunt this morn because that's what I need. Sneak out to my spot before 6. Blind is gone, bucket with a couple dekes gone and my cabelas shootin stick gone. Im sure that guy either waited till I was gone or came back after dark and took my stuff. So disgusted I pick a tree and sit down and start to wait for light. Just have on a black hoodie & black facemask on cause I was going to be in MY BLIND. There are a couple of gobbles to the west but the more I sit there the more pissed I get. By 7 I just get up and leave. The desire to hunt this morning is gone. F'in thieves!! Just don't understand it! I used to have another blind but gave that away a while back to someone who needed it. Well...now someone else decided they need my other stuff too. At home now fuming. Might get back out mid morn somewhere else but at this point Im not very motivated. Just f'in sucks. I might just go back to those woods to see if he was stupid enough to set it up somewhere else. After that encounter last night I should have known... good luck guys...

61 - 80 of 194 Posts