Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 101 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Question for those north of the bay. Are there any good authentic Mexican joints in the West Branch or Tawas areas? I get a craving when I go to see my family but they aren't aware of anything. Granted, they've only been up there a couple of years and don't know a whole lot yet.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Brings back some memories for sure. Military late 80's. Buddy I had Spanish decent. Said Taco Bell was made for white people. :lol:
Taco Bell did not get to our area until after I was in High School. I remember some class mates drove a hour and a half to go to Taco Bell. They raved about it.
Mom always made Mexican food when I was growing up. I really like it but had nothing to compare it to.
In college there was a Taco Bell near by. I had very high expectations because I had heard so much about it. WOW was I ever disappointed. It was crap. Not sure how mom learned to cook authentic Mexican, but she did. Maybe because she grew up in Detroit?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Question for those north of the bay. Are there any good authentic Mexican joints in the West Branch or Tawas areas? I get a craving when I go to see my family but they aren't aware of anything. Granted, they've only been up there a couple of years and don't know a whole lot yet.
I have heard there was a good Mexican place in West Branch. I think it is in the plaza where the old Glenn's was.

Maybe @Anish might know.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I remember when the Taco Bells opened by me back in the early 70's in Lincoln park. Mom used to give me a dollar and you'd get 2 tacos and a pop and get change back.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
Taco Bell did not get to our area until after I was in High School. I remember some class mates drove a hour and a half to go to Taco Bell. They raved about it.
Mom always made Mexican food when I was growing up. I really like it but had nothing to compare it to.
In college there was a Taco Bell near by. I had very high expectations because I had heard so much about it. WOW was I ever disappointed. It was crap. Not sure how mom learned to cook authentic Mexican, but she did. Maybe because she grew up in Detroit?
I remember when the Subway opened in Hale, it was kind of a big deal at the time. My cousin's wife managed it for a bit after they opened.

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
Best authentic Mexican restaurant I have ever been to is Esthers on Drummond Island. I need to make a road trip, my craving must be satisfied! There salsa is out of this world. Ive been trying hard to replicate but can’t seem to crack the nut. I guessed all ingredients correctly according to the waitress.
Esthers is really good.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
When I was in school, you would give a dollar for a shell of leinenkugel and a pickled egg, and get a dime back.

I remember when the Taco Bells opened by me back in the early 70's in Lincoln park. Mom used to give me a dollar and you'd get 2 tacos and a pop and get change back.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
There's another good and cheap place by me, Kabob House. Well, cheap depending on what you get. Shawarma sandwiches are like $4 and enough to make a meal. The garlic sauce they make is out of this world good.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Remember the Burger King commercial where you could get a burger, fries, and a pop and get change from a dollar?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mangos Mexican Cuisine and Tequila bar in Tawas.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Tony's Tacos @ Standish is probably the most authentic Mexican food north of Saginaw, on the east side. The people who claim to like real authentic Mexican food might be confusing it with Tex-Mex. I honestly prefer Tex-Mex, as it usually has more flavor. There is nowhere in MI like Southwest Detroit for good Mexican food, though. Lots of options. Quite a few hole-in-the-wall places. Real authentic.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Tony's Tacos @ Standish is probably the most authentic Mexican food north of Saginaw, on the east side. The people who claim to like real authentic Mexican food might be confusing it with Tex-Mex. I honestly prefer Tex-Mex, as it usually has more flavor. There is nowhere in MI like Southwest Detroit for good Mexican food, though. Lots of options. Quite a few hole-in-the-wall places. Real authentic.
A lot of the people from South West are moving to Lincoln Park area and they are bringing their food with them.The best tacos I have ever had come from Los Arcos Market at Fort and Southfeild.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There is nowhere in MI like Southwest Detroit for good Mexican food, though. Lots of options. Quite a few hole-in-the-wall places. Real authentic.
That's ridiculous. If you want real authentic Mexican food there are tons of places all over the migrant rich farm country of southern Michigan.
You can have Detroit.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
A lot of the people from South West are moving to Lincoln Park area and they are bringing their food with them.The best tacos I have ever had come from Los Arcos Market at Fort and Southfeild.
Went there last week. Excellent tacos. They have a restaurant on Allen road also across from Thunderbowl.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Mango's is really good. It is the old Wingin It. They have awesome fish tacos. Haven't really had anything bad there though.

I agree. I love Taco Bell too. Tex-Mex is awesome.

Mexican food and Tex-Mex aren't even really comparable. I love them both, but I don't pretend like they are similar either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best tacos I ever had were at the Nowhere Grill in Cabo San Lucas.

Rock lobster and pico de gallo and some other fixins. Phenomenal!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tony's has a stand in Tawas in the summer and a food trailer at the M13/US23 interchange just south of standish in the summer/fall. The closest thing we have to mexican around here. Tony is mexican and a nice guy to boot! I really like his salsa!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Went there last week. Excellent tacos. They have a restaurant on Allen road also across from Thunderbowl.
I think the tacos are better from the market.The restuarant is good for a proper sit down type meal.But for grabbing a few tacos on the run you can't beat the market.

81 - 101 of 101 Posts