Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there, I seen several young men carrying around black plastic (I think) trap covers. Looked to be something to dogproof a coil spring trap. What are they called and who sells them ? Price would help also. I didn't even realize what they were untill I was halfway home. Or I would have investigated a little more. Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks ;
Mich. Dillrod

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I saw what you are talking about and unless they are staked to the ground any animal will just flip them over. Not dog proof by any means.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I saw what you are talking about and unless they are staked to the ground any animal will just flip them over. Not dog proof by any means.
I agree!!! IMHO, I would trust plywood with a 1"-1.25" hole and a trap dug down and burried beneith. The plywood also has a 5/8" hole in two corners so a stake(s) can be used to hold it down.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i knew i saw you somewhere before mr. ed, you looked familiar, you were cooking the venison right next to me at the convention. i never forget a face... :help: hey where in newago are you? my main house is between ravenna and grant. just curious

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
i knew i saw you somewhere before mr. ed, you looked familiar, you were cooking the venison right next to me at the convention. i never forget a face... :help: hey where in newago are you? my main house is between ravenna and grant. just curious
Recognized me from my avatar?? Man, everyone always said you were slow ... and damn they were right.:lol::lol:

I live 4 mi north of Freekmont.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Kinda hard to mistake Ed.

He looks just like his avatar.

Sorry I couldn't resist, LOL

Might take a while for him to answer as he is in Minnesota.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i bet you shop at walmart dont ya??? lmao thats where my better half goes when she's on a shopping bender. wally world! well howdy neighbor! sure your not from the baldwin area? :yikes:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think those black plastic covers are ment to be buried in the ground with just the top showing and a trap underneath, coon will pull them out after being caught so the trap will swivel but won't be able to damage his foot by chewing.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
As soon as a coon gets caught with it's foot through the hole in the soft plastic bowl it will just chew it up. How many coon until the bowl is chewed to pieces?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I saw a group of Amish kids all carrying them. I figured it was for haircuts at home.....:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys kill me, LOL. OK so now I need to know. I asume because the Amish are so close to the land , they make excellent trappers. (plenty of time to slow down and read the sign left by the prey). In your opinion is this true.?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Dillrod,

Not sure on the trapping part, but the one walking around the fairgrounds didn't miss many beer cans. :lol: That kid was lightning fast. As soon as the can hit the ground he was on it. They do bring quite a bit of fur to the fur sales though. Some is trapped and some is bought and resold.

Joe

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The trap covers are designed to be buried partially in the ground with a #1 coil spring under it. Discussing it with some guys who had tried them, they're apparently pretty tough and survive the 'coons very well. If I remember correctly, the price was $3.50 each (I don't know about volume discounts.)

Kain's Fur Shed donated enough of them to give one to every kid so for them the price was definitely right! I'll bet anyone selling #1 coils sold a bunch!

Griff, Wouldn't you have to be getting some pretty sweet discounts to get a 6" Pipe Cap for $3.50 (if you can find them- I can't)?

John

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Why not use a one gallon flower pot turned upside down? Most already have a hole in the bottom and if they are too tall you can easily trim down the side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Beaverhunter. You did a fine job of trying to answer my question. There were some great alternative ideas,but you gave me what I was looking for. I want to be the first to commend the people that donated them for the children. If it only helps them one time, It maybe enought to catch them for life. Money well invested.
I have been recruiting all summer for one child to trap with me, all the families I know ask the same question. " I didn't know you could legally do that" . Are you sure you it's ok?
After all the assurances and proof i've offered. Not one taker yet. Kids seem interested , but parents say "no".
So without A doubt, everyone you catch , with a small gift, maybe just enough that you won't leave this world ,after having seen the right to trap stripped from you by a group of people that have never been far enough out in the country to even comprehend what a section of land is.
We are a "dieing breed" and the skill we take with us may never get passed on.
Each and every one of us deserve better than that , But you had better start playing ball while they will still let you in the park. The doors are closing fast on all of us.
My father used to tell me , you can't grow anything , if you don't plant the seed. Our garden is dieing people. And we only have us to save it.
Sorry for the preaching but something told me it had to be said.
Mr moderator you have my permission to delete this if it doesn't fit this forum .
Thank you all for your answers.
The Michigan dillrod.
"First treatment is free, after that I'm gonna have to charge you"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts