Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets hear some of the humorous or not so humorous blunders you have made preparing for,or while turkey hunting. I have: 1. Missed a bird at ten yards because of a golfball sized patten at that distance. 2. Shot a 16 gauge slug thru a 12 gauge shotgun with superfull choke,still can't explain that. 3. Given up on a bird,only to spook him when I got up to move. 4. Left my red dot on,thats why I now carry two extras. 5. Had to wear tennis shoes on a dewey morning because I forgot to pack my boots. 6. Forgotten my face mask on several occasions,now it's attached to my hat. 7. Introduced my brother in law to the sport, now he know's all my favorite spots. 8. Gotten mud in my receiver on a rainy day, and didn't know it. Called in 6 toms the next morning together and could't get a shot off,because the action on the pump gun never fully seated,spooked them all with profane language. 9. Bought this seasons over the counter license already,just so I can add to this list in May.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
3. Given up on a bird,only to spook him when I got up to move.
:lol:
Yep. Seems I do that at least once a year. Got up to call it quits one day and as I stepped out to pick up my decoy, I watched his head come up over a small rise, notice me, laugh his tail feathers off, then trott off towards the heavy brush. He never made a sound all morning.
I tried a little run-n-gun with him but never did see 'm again.

2, Changed locations mid day and figured it would be a while before things settled down. I was trying to be quiet but I'm sure I sounded likea log truck.
Sat down, grabbed a Power Bar from my bag, crinkled the foil and had a hen pop up about ten yards to my left and run through the woods letting every critter in the woods know that I was there and meant some of them harm.

I'll be doing the 234 hunt as well. I'm sure I'll add to my list too.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
don, don, don........

Your bringing back some painful memories here...:sad:

There have been many but I'll relate just one. My son and I made a trip to Iowa (hard by the Missouri line) a couple of years ago- to the Land of Giant Gobblers- 30 pounders with ropes for beards.:yikes: At least, thats what the guide said.:rolleyes: Anyhow, it was late in the spring season before we could get away- the last weekend. The guide allowed these turkeys had been "hunted some".;)

Now, the place had plenty of turkeys- tracks, droppings, and live turkeys were in evidence everywhere. But we hit a spell of bad weather- real bad. No fewer than 50 tornados came thru the region that weekend. Accompanied by torrential downpours, lightning and howling winds. Not good. But we got in one decent morning despite all this. My son went with the guide and they watched 6 giant longbeards out in the middle of a plowed field all morning- finally got one to come closer but not close enough. I went to another spot. found a comfortable tree and did some calling. Just a few yelps now and then using a variety of calls. Saw a few birds on a hillside across a little valley but no answers at all. I was turning my head veeery slowly to my left when a giant gobbler took flight about 20 yds away in the woods on the left flank- he was a giant with a paintbrush for a beard.:bash: I can still see him taking off.:rant: He had come in to my calls as silent as an owl. That one still hurts.

Natty B.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I'm sure I have tons of failure stories, but I'm going to tell my favorite success story.
1997 Menominee Co. 2nd season. Hunted the the moring had three decent toms working, but they were intersected by hens. I watched them all leave the area, so around 10am I headed back to the hotel. After lunch I told my partner that I was going to go back out and sit. Maybe I could get a tom or toms to come back after the hens left to nest. I get back out and set up my decoy. The sun is out, temps are in the upper 50's. I was sitting under a thick pine tree that camoflaged me well. I called a little with no responce. I figured I'd wait a bit more then call again. With the warm sun beating down, soon I found myself dozzing off. Shortly after, I decided to go ahead take a little nap. I was having a dream about turkeys of cource, I could here them clucking, and gobbleing ..when all the sudden I hear a loud gobble...it's so loud, and close it scares me. I awake and sit forward to see all three toms strutting around my decoy. They see me move, as they turn to run, I get my senses back enough to give a few puts with my diaframe call, that I had in my face mask next to my mouth. The last tom stops to look long enough for me to sqeeze off a shot to his head. 10" bread 1' spurs 21lbs.
That was my dream tom....:lol: . I still here about that bird from my partner hat year. What do they say? Some times even a blind squirrel.....

·
Registered
617 Posts
My 2005 season's hunt time was limited to 1 hunt as I had several seriously ill family member's that needed my time.
After having been successful in 2004 hunting my cousin's property sitting in the "car blind" I knew on the one day I could find to hunt that's where I'd set up again. The "car blind" is pretty cool-it's the upper shell of a late 30s Dodge coupe that was on the property when purchased. My cousin Jim dug out everything below and filled in nicely w/ cement blocks around the inner perimeter of the pit and placed a nice stool inside.
So as I headed out early I was getting pumped hearing gobbles all around as was often the case there - - -
I placed my 2 decoys (jake & hen) at the center of a "Y" in the lane so a tom coming from either the swamp or woods could see them. Because there is a large brush pile at this point I placed the dekes about 5' from it towards my vantage point in the blind and made my way to the blind to set up. From down inside the blind my views down the lanes were excellent to all 3 sides of the "Y" except 2 or 3 trees blocked my complete view of my dekes and the brush pile.
After some exchange of calls with many gobblers I caught a glimpse of movement as a bird was coming in from behind the brush pile. It was odd to me that he wasn't using any of the cleared lane in his route but it didn't matter-when he came around the brush pile I was going to blast him :cool:

So I raised my gun and clicked off the safety and watched for him to appear- - -
That's when I learned to never underestimate a crafty tom - - -
That dang bird instead of coming around the brush pile jumped right on top of it from the backside and fanned his magnificent mature tail. I sat there for a full minute and fully expecting to catch a glimpse of his head & neck but it never happened. All I ever saw was that tail. He propelled himself down off the brush pile using the exact same route he took to get there which was the only direstion in which I had no clear shot:yikes: :bonk:

·
Registered
514 Posts
We used to turkey hunt in the Mikado area of Alcona Co. A friend that had never shot a turkey came with us for the first time. He showed up at our tent camp a day after we arrived. The only camo that he owned was thin cotton. The first morning that he was to hunt with us he came out of the tent dressed for 70 deg weather and it was about 28 deg. I had been watching a large flock working around a small lake in the area the 2 previous mornings so I put my friend on a small power line cut where the birds had gone down on days one and two. There was a small brush pile on the edge of the cut so I had him sit about 15 yards behind it. I sat about 50 yards into the woods where I could watch the action. As daylight came so did the turkeys. There were 3 massive toms in the bunch. One had a ground dragging beard and spurs that were at least 2" long. I could see the power line cut but not my buddy. After watching the birds follow the same route that they had taken the 2 previous mornings I was getting pumped up knowing that they were going to walk right up to him. Not only did they walk to him, the big one jumped right up on the brushpile and went into full strut. I was just waiting for the BANG. Nothing. The tom jumped down from the brushpile and they all walked away down the line. I could'nt believe my eyes. I got up and went over there expecting to find him asleep. He wasn't there. Ifinally picked up my gear and headed for the truck. Low and behold there was my friend sitting in the truck sound asleep with the engine running. To make matters worse the little power line came out to the road just behind the truck. You guessed it, the tracks of the turkeys went right behind the truck. He didn't see them there either.I was a little ticked at him but he said he got cold just before daylight and left. He missed the greatest show on earth. He has never taken a bird to this day.:sad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
May of '05, hunting 1/2 hour from home -- driving the back roads before dawn, on the tail of another guy for the last few miles. The guy pulls into the driveway of the property I am going to hunt, with me right behind him. I introduce myself as another friend of the landowner, and offer to vacate the premises as he's beaten me there. He suggests we hunt together and I agree. We decide to take my decoy, leaving his behind. We move into a field adjacent to a thick woodlot that leads down to a river -- great place for turkey hunting with tons of birds. While walking along the field edge, we hear birds to our right, towards the river, and in front of us, further along the field. We decide to split up, him staying and hunting the birds closest to us, and me proceeding 250 yards down the field, and setting up on the edge. I leaned my gun against a tree and set up my decoy, then found a good place to sit -- comfortable, but providing good cover and the ability to move the gun as necessary.
I began calling with the mouth call, and immediately had multiple birds answering. The group of three came in right away, with the largest bird moving into the field, going into full stut and walking towards the decoy which I had placed to my left and behind me. He path took him into the path of my waiting 12 gauge....safety off, sights perfectly aligned on his neck, his head turned perfectly, I am squeezing the trigger and there is no way I can miss this shot. The trigger breaks and the gun goes Piiiiing!!...
"Piiiiinnng????? What happened to BANG? :yikes: What the heck is Piiiiinng?? Oh no, I'll bet I forgot to load."
I flick the safety on and off, making a little noise -- I have to do this to activate the second chamber in the gun I'm shooting. The turkey is now pretty interested in me. I take aim and squeeze the trigger again with the same sickening result. The turkey turns around and runs down the field with the goofy-looking run they have when they know they've just gotten really lucky. I said, "Darn it all, that's really unfortunate -- he was a really nice mature bird. But what a great story this will make! Ha ha ha ha...." or words to that effect.....:rant:
So here's the post-mortem -- I will normally load my gun before getting to my final setup point, as I don't want to make a racket with the gun when I could be pretty close to birds. On this occasion, since I was walking with another hunter and wished to exercise an extra level of caution, I didn't load the gun when we were walking down the edge of the field. When we split up, I raced up the edge of the field, then closed the empty gun and leaned it against a tree, then picked it back up and sat down to hunt without ever opening it again, forgetting that it wasn't loaded.
It does make a great story though -- a better story then if the gun had been loaded. But I still wish that I had loaded the darn gun! I ended last year with the public land jake from Cheboygan county on the last Saturday of the season -- this mid-Michigan gobbler was a much nicer bird.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That one that I couldn't get a shot on was the first one I'd seen do it but after reading JAG 's story I'm thinking they like to do it. I know on thing---if there's a brushpile around make sure you've got a clear shooting lane to the top of it :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
This didn't happen to me but a buddy of mine was out hunting with another friend late in the fall season. He had been out in the woods and disapointed countless times earlier that season and was really hoping to fill his tag. It was an afternoon hunt and he said he had heard a few birds not to far away and his partner was calling for him to try and coax them over. A few minute later he looked to his left and saw bird jet off into a swamp not to far away. when he was looking around to see anything else he spotted anotherone at about 35 40 yds. He shouldered, shot, nothing happened...bird didnt even move. He shot again and when it didnt move again he got up. After taking a step or two towards it he realized that it was an old stump that he had shot twice!! Like I said I wasnt there so i cant confirm how much this stump resembled a turkey but I guess it convinced him, must need glasses!! But anyway just thought it was a kind of funny story.
Peace,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts