Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
a buddy of mine who hunts some the bigest buck areas of ohio says alot og guys wont even bring the gun up on a 130-140 class animals.

he says they often ask guys why did yah shoot the small one if its under 150

·
Registered
126 Posts
They have a one buck limit. No shooting that first one to "get the pressure off". You have to make sure it is the one you want when you pull the trigger.

Peer pressure there is more towards shooting a good buck not just being able to say you got your buck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
in the best parts of the state, you can shoot three deer (one buck limit). why blow your wad on a basket rack when buckzilla could come by any time? plenty of nice fat does if you want some meat.

i think there's way too much peer pressure in parts of michigan to get "a deer" regardless of quality.

but you're right...definitely a different mindset when it comes to being selective.

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
i think there's way too much peer pressure in parts of michigan to get "a deer" regardless of quality.

but you're right...definitely a different mindset when it comes to being selective.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat:

But i too think it would be a whole differnt ballgame around here if we went back to 1 buck tag!!
All those little bucks just to get the 1st one under thier belt and then go for a big one might be saved to grow up! Nice thought...huh?;)

-Bob:)

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,548 Posts
I don't know how you take a forum from Ohio with some people posting about passing smaller bucks and all of a sudden everyone in Ohio shoots only big bucks. There are people in Ohio that shoot the first thing that comes along just like in Michigan as there is people in Michigan that pass on young bucks just like some people do in Ohio. I see a lot of people on this web site that pass on small bucks and practice QDM yet some just want to hammer some utopia vision of all the states around us having a group of hunters that hunt only trophies where Michigan hunters kill every bambi that walks. All states have their share of people that will shoot for meat not rack.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ranger Ray said:
I don't know how you take a forum from Ohio with some people posting about passing smaller bucks and all of a sudden everyone in Ohio shoots only big bucks. There are people in Ohio that shoot the first thing that comes along just like in Michigan as there is people in Michigan that pass on young bucks just like some people do in Ohio. I see a lot of people on this web site that pass on small bucks and practice QDM yet some just want to hammer some utopia vision of all the states around us having a group of hunters that hunt only trophies where Michigan hunters kill every bambi that walks. All states have their share of people that will shoot for meat not rack.
I agree that there are plenty of hunters that shoot the first buck they see in Ohio, and that is great for them. They satisfied their personal goal and followed the laws. But they are done. They made their personal decision knowing that pulling the trigger would end the season. The difference with Michigan is a hunter can pull the trigger on the first buck they see to "GET THE PRESSURE OFF" and then hunt for their big buck. And again this is legal so it is their right. But I believe they would think a lot harder about shooting that first buck if it ended their season right then.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,548 Posts
Live2Hunt said:
I agree that there are plenty of hunters that shoot the first buck they see in Ohio, and that is great for them. They satisfied their personal goal and followed the laws. But they are done. They made their personal decision knowing that pulling the trigger would end the season. The difference with Michigan is a hunter can pull the trigger on the first buck they see to "GET THE PRESSURE OFF" and then hunt for their big buck. And again this is legal so it is their right. But I believe they would think a lot harder about shooting that first buck if it ended their season right then.
I agree.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Ranger Ray said:
I don't know how you take a forum from Ohio with some people posting about passing smaller bucks and all of a sudden everyone in Ohio shoots only big bucks. There are people in Ohio that shoot the first thing that comes along just like in Michigan as there is people in Michigan that pass on young bucks just like some people do in Ohio.

This is was just some anecdotal evidence that I observed that confirmed many other comments I have heard from Ohio residents, it by no means represents the whole state. However, I challenge you to find a thread on this forum where 4 or more people talk about passing on multiple bucks on opening day. Other than the management forum, I do not think I have ever observed this.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
the one buck tag... that would change things big time... I have a doe tag so if it is not the buck I am looking for I will kill a doe instead... I don't do alot of deer hunting so it probably isn't a big deal...

but..

there are alot of hardcore deer hunters that take multiple deers... if it was only one buck tag per year that would change the numbers taken and allowed to walk.. I am only assuming but after three months of deer hunting that killing your first buck is easy but killing that second big guy is what keeps alot of guys hunting...

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
The Ohio forum represents a "handful" of hunters, as does our Michigan forum.

I think I may be "onboard" with the one buck tag deal though, that does sound like a good idea.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,548 Posts
Grouse Hunter said:
This is was just some anecdotal evidence that I observed that confirmed many other comments I have heard from Ohio residents, it by no means represents the whole state. However, I challenge you to find a thread on this forum where 4 or more people talk about passing on multiple bucks on opening day. Other than the management forum, I do not think I have ever observed this.
Not sure of these are all on the same day but it is in the same thread within a couple days but it does show multiple people passing on deer. I looked at Ohio sportsman and saw where a guy posted a little 7 point another a button buck and that was only in about 1 minute of looking. I know people that live in a few of the buck Mecca and shoot some Booner’s but aren’t against putting meat in their freezer. I have just been seeing a lot of posts flaming the Michigan hunter and I think if you were to look at percentages within the hunting numbers of each state you would not find some great disproportional number of people select harvesting. If you were to throw in out of state hunters than you may get skewed because people going to Iowa from Michigan paying $4000.00 to shoot a buck are not hunting for spikes.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117363

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Michigan has changed a lot in my 25+ years of deer hunting. We're on the right track to improving, it's just gonna take some time to get there. Education is working, imo.

Our biggest issue is the double edged sword of hunter numbers, 750,000 hunters makes for great political clout at the state level, but makes for a highly pressured deer herd and myriad of management philosphies. The onus is on us hunters that want to improve buck age, we need to tactfully get the casual hunter and the 'brown it's down' guys to see the benefits of passing on the smaller bucks. It's gonna come down to salesmanship, if we cannot get our point across without tactfulness we chance coming off as arrogant, elitists and only looking to bolster our trophy opportunities.

In our camp, more bucks are passed then taken, as are many of the camps adjacent to our camp. There are plenty in Michigan that practice discretion and our ranks will continue to grow if we passively encourage other hunters to join us. When I say passively, I mean respecting the choices of others and their management views, looking at the guy with an opposing management view as an asset not yet gained, rather than an adversary.

We'll get there. :)

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Sib said:
Michigan has changed a lot in my 25+ years of deer hunting. We're on the right track to improving, it's just gonna take some time to get there. Education is working, imo.

Our biggest issue is the double edged sword of hunter numbers, 750,000 hunters makes for great political clout at the state level, but makes for a highly pressured deer herd and myriad of management philosphies. The onus is on us hunters that want to improve buck age, we need to tactfully get the casual hunter and the 'brown it's down' guys to see the benefits of passing on the smaller bucks. It's gonna come down to salesmanship, if we cannot get our point across without tactfulness we chance coming off as arrogant, elitists and only looking to bolster our trophy opportunities.

In our camp, more bucks are passed then taken, as are many of the camps adjacent to our camp. There are plenty in Michigan that practice discretion and our ranks will continue to grow if we passively encourage other hunters to join us. When I say passively, I mean respecting the choices of others and their management views, looking at the guy with an opposing management view as an asset not yet gained, rather than an adversary.

:yeahthat:

Exactly Sib,

This is my 28th year of deer hunting and I also have seen the changes of time. 10-15 years ago, you hardly heard anyone mentioning that they let a buck walk. Now you see it in many threads. I remember when the taking of a doe was taboo, and when you were lucky enough to draw a permit, you were careful who you told about it.

I think we have come a long way in a relatively short time.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sib said:

Let me show you the benefit of passing small bucks!
and again I don't do this to toot my own horn, I could careless what you think about the bucks I shoot. I do this hoping there is a hunter out there right now on the verge of letting small bucks go and this tips him over the edge. Once you get there you will never go back that is for sure. There are many differences in opinion of trophy whitetails... What is a trophy to me is totally different to a 12 year old boy with a bow in his hands. I just want to show people the possibilities. We have a small farm which we practice letting small bucks go and it has paid off for us. Do all people have to hunt this way NO! But if some of you out there are thinking about it enjoy looking at the possibilities below. Some of you never take big bucks because you don't hunt them, You may say wait a minute I hunt every day on the same piece of property if they are there I am hunting them, Not if you are shooting small bucks your not. Big bucks make a minimal number of mistakes every year. If you are willing to shoot the first two legal bucks of the season you probably won't be in the stand just on chances alone when the big boy makes his mistakes. One thing that has helped me pass on small bucks is carrying a camcorder with me when I hunt. I can video bucks and show my hunting buddies what I let go. Its almost as good as killing them. There are two in the hunting party that do the same and it makes for a great time sitting in front of the TV I will say that. Each hunter is going to hunt differently, but to those of you that have considered chasing mature whitetails the possiblities are endless....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts