Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Offshore yellow boards and Tattletail flags

7K views 68 replies 27 participants last post by  Slimshady 
#1 ·
Any foolproof way to get the flags to go down? I do keep a little slack between the clasps and experiment with spring tension. Also, how do you rig them so they will slide down to the bead instead of float away? Getting kinda tired of dragging decent sized walleye around for who knows how long:):)

#2 ·
I have the same issue with my Church's Tackle boards. I like the system but it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I can tell when I have a fish on based on how the board is tracking usually, but the flag never seems to go down when the fish initially bites. Any help is appreciated!!!

#14 ·
Exactly what I would say, The roofer Showed me they track just a little bit different then the rest. You can set your rods so the boards are in line with each other on a angle. If you see one just a little bit out of order you got a fish, I sometimes Drowned them before I pull them in , As for the flags they suck. But sometimes you will see the board get pulled totally Under or it will head for the back of the boat. Once you get used to them,the small boards r great. But they both have pros and cons like everything.

#7 ·
Yeah, that's how I usually notice a fish on calm days but yesterday not so much. Haven't run the big boards for a while so might do that next week. Of course ya still end up towing some of those lazy Walleye around but I find it much easier to check lines when running the big guys.

#4 ·
Make sure your line is behind the pin so it does t float away. At least if it does come off it ll side down to the lure and no further.

#5 ·
Are you saying the flags are not getting pulled back? If so there are adjustment holes on the front of the board for the springs. Move them up to make them lay down easier with small fish. I made my own tattle flag kits and they work well with the factory offshore spring. Made some for the churches boards as well and they work too.

Reactions: Sharkbait11
#6 ·
If it's a ****** or a small walleye the flag might not go down, you will only see the board pull back out of line, and maybe only pull back briefly. A decent walleye will drop the flag and pull the board back. Just play with your spring placement. Keep moving it until the flag drops on the slightest pull.

Flag down, board back, and then board underwater is probably a smally or monster sheep.

Flag down, board back, board underwater, board going to the spread on the other side of the boat is probably a Musky lol!

#9 ·
#8 ·
does the slack stay in the line between clips?
I often have had the line slip through the front clip tightening the line between clips, rendering the flag useless.
Also, like others have said, spring tension can matter. That thing should be as light as you can adjust it for walleyes. I have used rubber bands looped through the flag then hooked to the front of the board, too.

#18 ·
If you are using the Off-shores, you should have a red-clip in the back. To make sure they don't come off, you have to get the line behind that center "nipple" in the clip. I have black clips on the front of my boards so they will release when I give them a good pull. As far as the tattle flags go, you have to adjust the tension a bit depending on what you are pulling and how fast you are going. If you are pulling cranks or spoons at more than 2 mph, then the tattle flags don't work all that well, because you need the tension so high to begin with, that it is hard to pull them down. In those situations, I will usually leave the clickers on and set my drag just barely tight enough so that it doesn't slip. That way, when a fish hits, you will hear the drag click. It also helps to line up 3 boards in a row. That way, if one drops back a bit, you know you have a small fish or weeds on.

You also need to make sure there is slack in the line between the two clips. If they are sliding down, then your pads are worn out on your clips or you have the tension set too light on the clips. They sell the replacement pads and you can adjust the tension by moving the spring closer to the opening side.

#19 ·
I RARELY USE THEM NOW THAT I USE SPOONS AND DISKS but when i did to me it was simple to just not use flags ! if you use braid you can sweep the line feel lure vibrating so if it doesnt vibrate then weeds or small fish

#21 ·
They are really designed for pulling crawlers at pretty slow speeds. That's when they really shine. With spoons or cranks, I don't find the flags that useful or needed, because both pull so hard already, that you have to set the tension too high on the springs to keep them from being down all the time. Therefore, a small fish can't pull them down anyway.

#26 ·
it took me a little bit to learn to read the boards even with tattle flags. two things that helped me were
1. make sure you board is riding right to start. I use church boards so I don't know if offshore have the lead weight in em but if so you may have to adjust it depending on what your pulling. usually if I'm dragging a fish the nose of the board will be higher than normal as well also it will just look off compared to the other boards and how it normally runs.
2. if you think your dragging that that rod and strat reeling in a little bit or give it a nice long steady pull but not quick enough to pop the board. usually if you have a fish on the flag will pop up a little bit.

like I said I don't run offshores. I have the church tx-12s and tx-22s with the double action flags and love em. I run bandits and harnesses with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#28 ·
I set my off shore flags really loose and they work fine, some times a small fish will just move them slightly up and down. Very rare we get a fish that doesnt at least move the flag, although it does happen from time to time. usually any fish 20" or so will bury the flag at least for a moment, like everyone says play with the spring settings, good luck 👍

#35 ·
I made mine from hardware store parts and 15 minutes of time and they work great for harnesses. I don't understand the cost factor argument. You can make them for a few bucks a piece. I can read the boards fine, but it's great not to drag small fish and even people onboard that haven't fished that style can read the flags.

#42 ·
As it's been mentioned, if your flags aren't going down, your line if you left slack between pads is slipping on one or the other or both. I like popping my front clip so board comes up center if I can so some of my boards have the "sams pro" type front clip now. They all will eventually as I get to it. No way to slip there, so just need to make sure the rear red pad is solid. Also I make my own flag set up for next to nothing using heavy braid. I get rid of the springs and use rubber bands(size 32). So easy to adjust tension. Got that idea from Tom (ebijack) years ago. Here's a couple pics...

#51 ·
We saw a guy perching off 1 and 2 today when we were slow rolling back in... Hopefully soon!

Going to look up those sams clips... I need to change mine out after the 2nd season.
I got some off Amazon. Cheap knockoffs, and got a little flack for it. But hey, I bought the Michigan made boards.. 😆 They were half price, and made a difference buying a few...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.