Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any foolproof way to get the flags to go down? I do keep a little slack between the clasps and experiment with spring tension. Also, how do you rig them so they will slide down to the bead instead of float away? Getting kinda tired of dragging decent sized walleye around for who knows how long:):)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same issue with my Church's Tackle boards. I like the system but it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I can tell when I have a fish on based on how the board is tracking usually, but the flag never seems to go down when the fish initially bites. Any help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
They work best with lighter pulling baits. Otherwise like said watch them for falling back. If you pull on the line the board should move foward a bit, if not its probably got a fish. The more boards on a side the easier to read them.

·
Premium Member
10,018 Posts
Make sure your line is behind the pin so it does t float away. At least if it does come off it ll side down to the lure and no further.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Are you saying the flags are not getting pulled back? If so there are adjustment holes on the front of the board for the springs. Move them up to make them lay down easier with small fish. I made my own tattle flag kits and they work well with the factory offshore spring. Made some for the churches boards as well and they work too.

Reactions: Sharkbait11

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's a whitey or a small walleye the flag might not go down, you will only see the board pull back out of line, and maybe only pull back briefly. A decent walleye will drop the flag and pull the board back. Just play with your spring placement. Keep moving it until the flag drops on the slightest pull.

Flag down, board back, and then board underwater is probably a smally or monster sheep.

Flag down, board back, board underwater, board going to the spread on the other side of the boat is probably a Musky lol!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They work best with lighter pulling baits. Otherwise like said watch them for falling back. If you pull on the line the board should move foward a bit, if not its probably got a fish. The more boards on a side the easier to read them.
Yeah, that's how I usually notice a fish on calm days but yesterday not so much. Haven't run the big boards for a while so might do that next week. Of course ya still end up towing some of those lazy Walleye around but I find it much easier to check lines when running the big guys.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
does the slack stay in the line between clips?
I often have had the line slip through the front clip tightening the line between clips, rendering the flag useless.
Also, like others have said, spring tension can matter. That thing should be as light as you can adjust it for walleyes. I have used rubber bands looped through the flag then hooked to the front of the board, too.

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have no idea on size of rubber bands either. I just always keep a couple packs with the multiple sizes. Lots of uses here and there for rubber bands.
Yeah, like when you've put off taking a piss too long and then you get a double on. Gotta watch out when you finally release the pressure though, but it comes in handy for rinsing the worm schmeg off the gunnels.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
And here I always thought the flags was so other people don’t run your gear over..lol..I never pay attention to the flag..you just have to feel the force with your board...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have the same issue with my Church's Tackle boards. I like the system but it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I can tell when I have a fish on based on how the board is tracking usually, but the flag never seems to go down when the fish initially bites. Any help is appreciated!!!
Exactly what I would say, The roofer Showed me they track just a little bit different then the rest. You can set your rods so the boards are in line with each other on a angle. If you see one just a little bit out of order you got a fish, I sometimes Drowned them before I pull them in , As for the flags they suck. But sometimes you will see the board get pulled totally Under or it will head for the back of the boat. Once you get used to them,the small boards r great. But they both have pros and cons like everything.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If you are using the Off-shores, you should have a red-clip in the back. To make sure they don't come off, you have to get the line behind that center "nipple" in the clip. I have black clips on the front of my boards so they will release when I give them a good pull. As far as the tattle flags go, you have to adjust the tension a bit depending on what you are pulling and how fast you are going. If you are pulling cranks or spoons at more than 2 mph, then the tattle flags don't work all that well, because you need the tension so high to begin with, that it is hard to pull them down. In those situations, I will usually leave the clickers on and set my drag just barely tight enough so that it doesn't slip. That way, when a fish hits, you will hear the drag click. It also helps to line up 3 boards in a row. That way, if one drops back a bit, you know you have a small fish or weeds on.

You also need to make sure there is slack in the line between the two clips. If they are sliding down, then your pads are worn out on your clips or you have the tension set too light on the clips. They sell the replacement pads and you can adjust the tension by moving the spring closer to the opening side.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I RARELY USE THEM NOW THAT I USE SPOONS AND DISKS but when i did to me it was simple to just not use flags ! if you use braid you can sweep the line feel lure vibrating so if it doesnt vibrate then weeds or small fish

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my tension set to the third setting, which is the tightest, I will play around with tomorrow on the lake. I usually troll around 2.0-2.2 when pulling cranks so maybe the flags won't even work?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts