Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1621 - 1640 of 1643 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Been striking out on perch searching lately, which is pretty standard for me. Bowers, Northport and East Bay (even Long and Crystal) in the last two weeks. Been ugly.

The perch charters today were on the constant move, so I don’t expect they had much luck either.

Hoping the water temperature change in the next week or so schools them up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
30,394 Posts
Been striking out on perch searching lately, which is pretty standard for me. Bowers, Northport and East Bay (even Long and Crystal) in the last two weeks. Been ugly.

The perch charters today were on the constant move, so I don’t expect they had much luck either.

Hoping the water temperature change in the next week or so schools them up better. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to make a run over here to Saginaw Bay. 😀

·
Registered
4,066 Posts

Hoping the water temperature change in the next week or so schools them up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like we lost our spawners! It’s not like we’re catching a bunch of small ones out there, there are just none to mention! I think they turn that last corner & see the stacks of hungry Cisco guarding the entrance & beat a hasty retreat! It’s a bummer!!

This is why I think these giant Cisco would be devastating to Lake Huron!!

·
Premium Member
30,394 Posts
This is why I think these giant Cisco would be devastating to Lake Huron!!
But you don't have the walleye in eastbay like we do to keep them in check. Plus I think the Cisco prefer that colder deep water and won't come into the bay or rivers to eat the perch. With the Cisco hanging in the same temperature as kings, they think it will help I believe. If the food source can get established first, then they can stock more kings again?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
But you don't have the walleye in eastbay like we do to keep them in check. Plus I think the Cisco prefer that colder deep water and won't come into the bay or rivers to eat the perch. With the Cisco hanging in the same temperature as kings, they think it will help I believe. If the food source can get established first, then they can stock more kings again?
The smaller bait fish strain we are used to catching around Drummond we’re in the 10-14” range, they were fine. These gt bay fish are monsters, they eat more flesh than bugs. They don’t care much about temp either, they just go where the bait is till spawning time. I wish salmon would eat them, that would be great! But I’ve never caught a king or coho with a Cisco in it, maybe Atlantics would eat em. Walleye would love em I bet!

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
The smaller bait fish strain we are used to catching around Drummond we’re in the 10-14” range, they were fine. These gt bay fish are monsters, they eat more flesh than bugs. They don’t care much about temp either, they just go where the bait is till spawning time. I wish salmon would eat them, that would be great! But I’ve never caught a king or coho with a Cisco in it, maybe Atlantics would eat em. Walleye would love em I bet!
Musky would sure eat them, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Pike eat them in the inland lakes downstate and lake trout will eat them. The Cisco I caught today were stuffed full of BC.

The perch in the south end have shown a pretty strong inverse relationship to alewife population over the past several decades. We’re at the point now where we have alewifes there but no perch.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Another great day on the bay. Caught a few trolling and switched over to jigs. Came pretty quick once I found a few pods. Got one bonus coho, which was a welcome surprise. Released several more Cisco on jigs. Good way to end my season there if I don’t make it back up this year. Always enjoy a trip to the bay, although I’d like fuel costs to drop significantly.

Food Seafood Fish Animal product Cuisine

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Another great day on the bay. Caught a few trolling and switched over to jigs. Came pretty quick once I found a few pods. Got one bonus coho, which was a welcome surprise. Released several more Cisco on jigs. Good way to end my season there if I don’t make it back up this year. Always enjoy a trip to the bay, although I’d like fuel costs to drop significantly.

View attachment 792072
Excellent!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also wondered what yo were jigging with, spoons, bladebaits, or something else? I've only trolled for the cisco, I'd like to try jigging sometime.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ended up with 5 cisco yesterday after the net guy (Me) knocked off a small Steelie and another Cisco fishing solo in the afternoon. Not bad for the first time. Had the pleasure of meeting Surfstalker at the ramp as we finished the day. This was him coming in, end of a peaceful day.
Water Sky Atmosphere Cloud Afterglow

1621 - 1640 of 1643 Posts