Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
881 - 900 of 939 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Any luck jigging? I am heading up Sunday for my second try at jigging the bay. I had moderate success last time with smaller fish, hoping to find some more respectable ones this weekend. I was going to try out of Elk Rapids - last time I fished out of the west bay DNR launch... I will post a report.
We never jigged, just trolled spoons, spin-n-glo, flies.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hit East bay Sunday Jigging for lakers. Headed north out of the DNR launch on mission to some numbers we did well at last year.
Lakers where there. Found some in 150fow. had a few shorts here and there an made a small move. Found a GIANT school of lakers. Graph was lit up thick. At first we thought it could not be lakers, expected cisco or something else, but it was lakers. all 10-12inch fish. TONS of them. When the jig would get down towards bottom you would have a fish on, every drop. Didnt want to play that came to long or risk injuring those young fish. Their mouths were quite fragile. Headed about 5 miles north or so and set up on some other numbers. Found a couple groups of fish stacked and hit 2 nice fish right in a row. 22" and 24". By this time it was 930 and that historically for us is when the bit really slows down.
And it did for us. We put some additional miles on and we would have fish chase our jigs but not commit.
We ran back down to that giant school to see if they were still there. They were. Tried to work the outside of the school to look for bigger fish, no such luck. Pull a few more shorts and called it a day as we had a 3 hour drive ahead of us.
All in all we caught 30 or so lakers, on lighter walleye tackle it was still fun. I learn more every time I am up there.
All fish mostly came on white 1 oz jigging spoons, or white and orange.
Looking forward to getting back up there when the winds are right and my schedule allows.
Sorry for no pics, I really need to get better at taking them when we are on the water. I wish i would have taken a picture of the graph when we were in that big pod of fish. We would lose sight of our jig on the graph because there were so many fish.
Talked to a few others at the launch whom were trolling, they did not do as go as we did jigging for them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fished (jigged) West Bay Sat, Sun, Mon. Caught limits and played C&R each day, best fish were 6-8.5lbs. Most fish were in 90-110 FOW. 1oz PLine Lazer minnows produced the most; pearl, white/silver and green glow were the best colors. Found that early morning before 9am or after 1pm were the best bite times. Counting down to depth; ~20ft above the marks produced better than dropping through the school and reeling up. 6lb flouro leader (7-12ft length).

Technical question: We had 100's of fish that would come up and inspect but not commit. What do you do when this happens? Keep steady, slowly lower, real up? There has to be a technique to get the bite on those fish. Looking for a solution other than "move to a different spot".

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fished (jigged) West Bay Sat, Sun, Mon. Caught limits and played C&R each day, best fish were 6-8.5lbs. Most fish were in 90-110 FOW. 1oz PLine Lazer minnows produced the most; pearl, white/silver and green glow were the best colors. Found that early morning before 9am or after 1pm were the best bite times. Counting down to depth; ~20ft above the marks produced better than dropping through the school and reeling up. 6lb flouro leader (7-12ft length).

Technical question: We had 100's of fish that would come up and inspect but not commit. What do you do when this happens? Keep steady, slowly lower, real up? There has to be a technique to get the bite on those fish. Looking for a solution other than "move to a different spot".

Thanks
Bait. :)

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Down south.....it's common to free-line shrimp or finger mullet for fish. You put a small split shot a foot or so above the hook and let it drift in the current.

Has anyone tried free-lining big minnows here in the bays? It would seem like that would be effective.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yeah roys would be your best bet. Not sure if they carry sucker minnows in the summer though. They do in the winter for sure.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Thanks
We tried something that seems to work when we ice fish.
If we could mark our lure and fish chasing on the graph a slow steady reel up and eventually they would commit.
Some fish came up to to 70 or 60 fow from 100 fow and then bite.
If the fish would stop we would immediately drop our bait to the bottom and pound the bottom with it.
That also triggers bites for us

·
Registered
114 Posts
We tried something that seems to work when we ice fish.
If we could mark our lure and fish chasing on the graph a slow steady reel up and eventually they would commit.
Some fish came up to to 70 or 60 fow from 100 fow and then bite.
If the fish would stop we would immediately drop our bait to the bottom and pound the bottom with it.
That also triggers bites for us
In retrospect, I think that would have worked. That method makes sense because we did get some oddball bites reeling up and dropping down. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Pretty good turnout tonight for the NWMI FISHING CLUB Lake Bellaire contest. The winning walleye was 4.84lbs followed by mine at 4.40lbs. 170$ payout for the big one.

Biggest “off species” was a cisco. Payout was $70.

I had a huge muskie on for a long time, got him to the boat and he got knocked off at the net. Would have been my first one. Felt good on 10lb test.

Beautiful lake and a beautiful night.

Crystal Lake next Wednesday. I will see you all there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I ice fish down this way I use some squid to tip the bait with for scent. Stuff has a strong fish odor and will stay on the hook, have caught upwards of 30+ perch on one piece of it before they chew it down to nothing.
I got some fresh skein from a King, I'm thinking of trying that.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Pretty good turnout tonight for the NWMI FISHING CLUB Lake Bellaire contest. The winning walleye was 4.84lbs followed by mine at 4.40lbs. 170$ payout for the big one.

Biggest “off species” was a cisco. Payout was $70.

I had a huge muskie on for a long time, got him to the boat and he got knocked off at the net. Would have been my first one. Felt good on 10lb test.

Beautiful lake and a beautiful night.

Crystal Lake next Wednesday. I will see you all there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering why there was a few more boats than normal out on bellaire. I have a place on the lake, great fishing.

881 - 900 of 939 Posts