Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
861 - 880 of 940 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also ventured to GTB for the first time Saturday. Launched out of Elk Rapids, worked 90-110 fow, targeting "humps". Boated a dozen or so. Couldnt buy a bite until 10am, then it was game on. 1oz silver/blue pline, and black/red/silver jonah jig took all the fish. Fish ranged 4-8lbs, great day.
I’m going to give jigging out of elk rapids a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reports, I’ve been struggling out there this year. Hopefully tomorrow I can find some fish!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m going to give jigging out of elk rapids a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reports, I’ve been struggling out there this year. Hopefully tomorrow I can find some fish!!
Just giving a report from today. Went out of elk rapids and went north found some fish in 95 ft. Ended up boating 16 Lakers, but a lot of small ones. By 10:30am we were able to get a 3 man limit of Lakers and 3 of them went over 9lbs..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Took my wife out on the bay for our first try last weekend for jigging lake trout. Went all over west bay trying to target 100’ of water with nothing to show for it. Tried again today for a few hours and had something on for a few seconds but that was all. My fish finder wasn’t working so I was just moving around and trying whatever.. got it back working tonight and going again tomorrow morning. Any pointers for a couple of complete rookies would be greatly appreciated…

DNR survey guy was at the launch when I pulled out around 1100 and said he only saw two fish come in all day so that didn’t make me feel as bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
52 Posts
You don’t need to stick to 100’. Look for humps or dramatic chances.

I motor around until I find a couple marks together on those humps, drop something interesting down there and see what happens. IMO, don’t stay too long anywhere. If they don’t hit after a little bit try a different bait or just move spots. That’s the way I fish them but I’m far from an expert.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Took my wife out on the bay for our first try last weekend for jigging lake trout. Went all over west bay trying to target 100’ of water with nothing to show for it. Tried again today for a few hours and had something on for a few seconds but that was all. My fish finder wasn’t working so I was just moving around and trying whatever.. got it back working tonight and going again tomorrow morning. Any pointers for a couple of complete rookies would be greatly appreciated…

DNR survey guy was at the launch when I pulled out around 1100 and said he only saw two fish come in all day so that didn’t make me feel as bad lol

I agree with three dogs.. strong contour changes or sunken islands seem to have Lakers on or near them. I also agree keep moving if your not marking much or getting any bites..

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Troll till ya find good bait marks, then jig it if you like. I find when looking for lakers out there trolling is way more productive when the fish are scattered

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Who is looking to catch some walleyes!!

The NWMI Fishing Club will be at Lake Bellaire for our weekly Wednesday evening fishing event.

At this week's event we will be hosting 2 categories, one being the biggest walleye and the other being the biggest “off species”.

$20 enters you for the chance to have bragging rights and possibly take home some cash!

This photo was taken last year at our event where a 7.28lb walleye was caught.

Come have some fun with NWMI Club, registration starts at 5pm, lines in at 6pm. One person in the boat must be a club member. Memberships available at registration if needed, which is good for an entire year from the date of sign up. Membership is $20.

I Look forward to meeting some new guys, some east sider, and some more walleye fishermen. Weather will be warm and calm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
I'll be returning to TVC tomorrow. Looking forward to catching up on the chores and getting back on the water. I was wondering (hoping?) if any salmon would be rounding the bend and heading south into the bays by now. Has anyone heard any reports yet?

Yesterday's muley run.....the last one. No fish pics today.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I’m fishing out of Center St. launch this evening. Going to troll a variety and may try some jigging. Will post results.
White 27.5 Sea Nymph with two old farts.
Marked fish but they weren’t interested in my spread , other boats seemed to have had no luck on west side of east bay. Mornings must be better. Lines were badly fowling with the spiney sea flees. Beautiful evening though.
Guess time to start hitting the big lake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m fishing out of Center St. launch this evening. Going to troll a variety and may try some jigging. Will post results.
White 27.5 Sea Nymph with two old farts.
Any luck jigging? I am heading up Sunday for my second try at jigging the bay. I had moderate success last time with smaller fish, hoping to find some more respectable ones this weekend. I was going to try out of Elk Rapids - last time I fished out of the west bay DNR launch... I will post a report.

861 - 880 of 940 Posts