Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
841 - 860 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Looking good Jrmate. I’d stay on the walls of that reef (not on top). Start in 100’. Work your way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks - Ill post a report on how things go for us newbies. Since I just realized I was on the reports thread not just a regular conversation thread - doh. Tight lines everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went out of Elk Rapids last night for the first time in way too long, too much working. We ran out next to another 2 man boat, who went to the same spot I was headed, first time I ever encountered another boat at this spot. They were jigging, we were trolling, started fishing the same time, pulled lines at the same time assuming they had their 2 man limit at almost the exact same time. Kevorkian on a mag-dipsy set at 260, chrome flasher with a pickled sunshine on the rigger at 95 were the hot ticket. Here's a pick of you fishing if your on here. 50 degree temp line was pretty much at 98 feet. Great evening on the water!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Still no fish yet to post up from here. Hopefully the salmon start to trickle in soon there.

It's been hot and today was also hazy even in the mountains. Did a scouting trip today. Most everything is hiding from the heat.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Finally was able to get out for some fishing. Was using a tiny panther martin spinner. That will catch fish if they're hungry. Didn't get anything, but these mountain streams are pretty. It's still hot. This place is about 5-6 miles from a small town where a lady bicycler was killed by a grizz last week. It dragged her out of her tent. It was in the national news.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Finally was able to get out for some fishing. Was using a tiny panther martin spinner. That will catch fish if they're hungry. Didn't get anything, but these mountain streams are pretty. It's still hot. This place is about 5-6 miles from a small town where a lady bicycler was killed by a grizz last week. It dragged her out of her tent. It was in the national news.

View attachment 776326

View attachment 776328

View attachment 776330
Love those mountain streams!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anybody been out jigging?
I went out Saturday, 90-105 fow, west bay on some of the humps north of the dnr launch. A few little ones and 3 that felt felt like really good solid fish that all came off before they were half way up. Bummer. Probably boated 15 under 20" and a couple bonus perch when we came across a big school on our way back in in 55 fow. Was my first time on the bay, first time jiggin lakers, I was happy since I basically picked a few spots and was able to track down fish, more hunting than jigging, but that's a lot of water and should be expected I guess. We never found any schools of fish - we were always dropping on single or maybe 2 marks. Not sure what's par for the course there while jigging? 3/4 and 1 oz P line silver/green and white/green caught the fish.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went out Saturday, 90-105 fow, west bay on some of the humps north of the dnr launch. A few little ones and 3 that felt felt like really good solid fish that all came off before they were half way up. Bummer. Probably boated 15 under 20" and a couple bonus perch when we came across a big school on our way back in in 55 fow. Was my first time on the bay, first time jiggin lakers, I was happy since I basically picked a few spots and was able to track down fish, more hunting than jigging, but that's a lot of water and should be expected I guess. We never found any schools of fish - we were always dropping on single or maybe 2 marks. Not sure what's par for the course there while jigging? 3/4 and 1 oz P line silver/green and white/green caught the fish.

I also ventured to GTB for the first time Saturday. Launched out of Elk Rapids, worked 90-110 fow, targeting "humps". Boated a dozen or so. Couldnt buy a bite until 10am, then it was game on. 1oz silver/blue pline, and black/red/silver jonah jig took all the fish. Fish ranged 4-8lbs, great day.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hey Martin, how was the ramp out there? How big is your boat?

Wondering if I could launch my heavy 18’ deep-V out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts

It was in pretty rough shape... I have a 16ft Boston Whaler and we ended up pushing the boat off the trailer to launch it because there is so much sand on the ramp that it doesn't get deep fast enough for the boat to start floating. You might be able to do it, but it's at least a two person job as there is also no dock as you probably know. Have bowers harbor as a back up if you head up there.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hey Fishermen, tonight, this Wednesday evening (14July) The NWMI Fishing Club will be out on Lake Skegemog for our regular Weekly Contest. Come on out an play. First time we have held a get together on this lake, so it should be fun. Registration at 5ish. Lines in at 6pm.

·
Registered
748 Posts

We went up there to have a look hoping to launch a 19' Smokercraft. Watched a guy launch a 16' aluminum. All 4 wheels in the water. We turned around and went back down to the Center Rd launch. Didn't want to take a chance on needing a pull to get out. Looks like about a 7 mile run from Elk Rapids out to that hump.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I've had conversations with the dnr about maintaining the busy launches and keeping them dredged out. A few years ago the Lake Bellaire ramp was so shallow on one side it was basically a one ramp launch. On top of that the dirt road in was so bad you thought you were going to break and axle.

I have not used any launches at skeg in a while but the one off 72 always seemed good.

If you have issues just call whoever runs that ramp they were good about getting out and making it work. I get they are on a budget but we pay to have access.

Reactions: ThreeDogsDown

·
Registered
125 Posts

What stream was that John? I've been fishing the Eagle River Near Beaver Creek and been doing pretty good. Just throwing small body baits. Actually caught a 3/lb brown that was a PB on stream trout for me.

Here's a few of the smaller ones I got.

Attachments

841 - 860 of 941 Posts