Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

681 - 700 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Anyone else tired of this heat already? Holy crap!
I can suffer the heat but I sure would be happy if this dam wind would die down so I can fish!! Tuesday is lookin promising for frankfort!!

That wind must really be rolling the water column over, I was expecting much warmer surface temperature right now. Wonder where the temp break is.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Any tips on jigs for trout this summer? I have a couple Elk Rapids and Jona jigs. Are there any others I will want to take with me?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Any tips on jigs for trout this summer? I have a couple Elk Rapids and Jona jigs. Are there any others I will want to take with me?
White and/or pearl sweedish pimples, 2 1/2-3 1/2” are always good, I like Binks blade baits in 1 oz also. Shallower or for perch, lakers & burbout, I like the 1/2 oz Buckshot rattle jig. Sometimes, the bigger Rapala jigs, tipped, or not, have theyre day as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Me and my wife took a trip to TC with the #1 goal to have a good, relaxing time and not focus too much on the fishing. On previous fishing trips we've made around the state we have put too much stress on the fishing and forgot to soak up the sights and relax. We achieved our goal and then some this time. The bays and peninsula are some of the most beautiful landscape we've seen, everyone we spoke to all around the ramps, vineyards, stores and restaurants were all nice, unlike our hometown area of the Detroit suburbs. First 2 days of fishing we struggled to find and catch fish 1 whitefish the first day and 1 whitefish the second day. Both caught on gold blade baits on east bay just north of deepwater point.
da

Days 3 and 4 we fished west bay around bowers harbor, our luck changed right after launching the boat with some smallmouth action.

Made our way out to the area around the island and found some cisco on a rock pile and we each caught a handful on silver blade baits.
We scooted out deeper and had the largest mark on the screen that we had seen the whole trip. Spot locked and made a cast with my 1oz jig with 5" pearl white paddle tail and bam fish on! Then fish off just as quick. Casted around for another 20 mins or so then again bam! Fish on! And this one stuck and turned out to be the highlight of my trip. 8 mins later and a sore right arm I landed my first only laker of the trip. 30" 11lbs.

On day 4 we went straight out to the area I got my laker, on the hunt for a laker for the wife to complete her trifecta for out trip, whitefish, cisco, and lake trout.

20 mins after getting on our spot wife hooks up with a big fish. 5 min fight later I net her first laker. 27" 7.5lbs

30 mins later I net her second laker 26" 7lbs

We had an amazing time in an amazing part of our great state. We will be back.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Me and my wife took a trip to TC with the #1 goal to have a good, relaxing time and not focus too much on the fishing. On previous fishing trips we've made around the state we have put too much stress on the fishing and forgot to soak up the sights and relax. We achieved our goal and then some this time. The bays and peninsula are some of the most beautiful landscape we've seen, everyone we spoke to all around the ramps, vineyards, stores and restaurants were all nice, unlike our hometown area of the Detroit suburbs. First 2 days of fishing we struggled to find and catch fish 1 whitefish the first day and 1 whitefish the second day. Both caught on gold blade baits on east bay just north of deepwater point. View attachment 771476 da View attachment 771477

Days 3 and 4 we fished west bay around bowers harbor, our luck changed right after launching the boat with some smallmouth action. View attachment 771479

Made our way out to the area around the island and found some cisco on a rock pile and we each caught a handful on silver blade baits.
We scooted out deeper and had the largest mark on the screen that we had seen the whole trip. Spot locked and made a cast with my 1oz jig with 5" pearl white paddle tail and bam fish on! Then fish off just as quick. Casted around for another 20 mins or so then again bam! Fish on! And this one stuck and turned out to be the highlight of my trip. 8 mins later and a sore right arm I landed my first only laker of the trip. 30" 11lbs.

View attachment 771480

On day 4 we went straight out to the area I got my laker, on the hunt for a laker for the wife to complete her trifecta for out trip, whitefish, cisco, and lake trout.

20 mins after getting on our spot wife hooks up with a big fish. 5 min fight later I net her first laker. 27" 7.5lbs
View attachment 771481

30 mins later I net her second laker 26" 7lbs View attachment 771482

Now that is what it’s all about!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Me and my wife took a trip to TC with the #1 goal to have a good, relaxing time and not focus too much on the fishing. On previous fishing trips we've made around the state we have put too much stress on the fishing and forgot to soak up the sights and relax. We achieved our goal and then some this time. The bays and peninsula are some of the most beautiful landscape we've seen, everyone we spoke to all around the ramps, vineyards, stores and restaurants were all nice, unlike our hometown area of the Detroit suburbs. First 2 days of fishing we struggled to find and catch fish 1 whitefish the first day and 1 whitefish the second day. Both caught on gold blade baits on east bay just north of deepwater point. View attachment 771476 da View attachment 771477

Days 3 and 4 we fished west bay around bowers harbor, our luck changed right after launching the boat with some smallmouth action. View attachment 771479

View attachment 771480

View attachment 771481

30 mins later I net her second laker 26" 7lbs View attachment 771482

Great report!!! We’re truly blessed to have such a great fishery!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's more Brown than green. I also noticed one of the anal fins is missing. Not sure if that's a clip or just a natural loss. View attachment 771590
I am by no means an expert or experienced on lakers but Id say thats a big old laker with a clipped fin.
All 3 of ours from our trip were clipped and looked just like that except they were pectorals.
They clip different fins depending on when or where its stocked.

681 - 700 of 717 Posts