Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

641 - 660 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
4,195 Posts

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Just picked up another double of Lakers going through those pods. It's flat right now but a lot of trash and debris in the water. It might be coming from the peninsula with these West winds?? Bunch of leaves and sticks, some plastic. A lot of allegea.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
I got out there late.....maybe 0630. Ended up with 10 at the boat. That was my best laker run so far. Numbers 9 and 10 were the unlucky ones.....they're destined for the grease. None were big.....maybe in the 14" to 18" range and all had fat bellies. Had 3 doubles. Finally seeing a few legit pods. Green spoons wasn't working so I had to switch it up to some smaller lures that seemed to work behind dodgers. I would find a pod and do a circle 8 over them and pick them off. I started getting them at around 105' - 110' and ended up dragging as deep as 135'. As the sun got up higher....the pods went deeper. GPS speed was in the 2.0 to 2.15 range. The line and cables were picking up a bit of the debris that was floating on the surface out there. The water looked nasty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi TVCJohn, I think I talked to you sunday morning when you were leaving and I was just getting there.
I gave it my best shot for a few hours. Found some fish in 125 and jigged as best as I could. Had 2 fish on for a few seconds and lost 'em. Did a lot of scouting looking for marks and just couldn't find much except for in 125'. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Hi TVCJohn, I think I talked to you sunday morning when you were leaving and I was just getting there.
I gave it my best shot for a few hours. Found some fish in 125 and jigged as best as I could. Had 2 fish on for a few seconds and lost 'em. Did a lot of scouting looking for marks and just couldn't find much except for in 125'. Maybe next time.

Could be...were you with the group of folks?

Over the last couple of weeks....it seems the fish (smaller streaks and pods) have moved into deeper water and are forming bigger pods suspended off the bottom. That or the alewives are starting to school up and the other fish are following them. I did see a good pod on the bottom in the 250' range. I seen A LOT of smallies coming back into the dock today.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
A perch and zander are the leading guesses. I guess we can rule out a walleye. I was going to throw in a (sea) robin, but then it would have been playing a cheap trick.😁

·
Registered
152 Posts
Got out late this morning and started fishing around 9:30 in West Bay. An excellent day on the water as the weather was perfect. Put my boat in and realized I forgot my net! Oh well I would figure it out. Ran out to my spot and setup in 100 ft of water. Trolled between 100 and 130 ft marked a few without a bite so I headed in shallow to 50 feet and began marking again and finally got a bite. A large lake trout and managed to land it without a net. Stayed in close with more marks between 50 and 65 ft with and had 2 more on but lost them about half way to the boat. To end the day I picked up another lake trout in about 70 ft of water. Fish are scattered and I trolled between 2.3 and 2.8 mph and took fish on blue/silver spoon and a green spotted spoon. Dipsy and lead core. Ended the day at 12:30 and made my way in. Great to be out on the water. By the way the big Lake trout had a big appetite as it was full of BIG fish!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
There's no Zander in the great lakes. And if there is its considered invasive. Species Profile - Zander.
There WAS no Zander in the great lakes. :giggle::giggle::giggle: Just as at one time there was no smelt, brown trout, rainbow trout, pacific salmon, zebra mussels, quagga mussels, spiny water fleas, sea lampreys (exc. L. Ontario), alewife, goby, ruff,....FM

Reactions: TriggerDiscipline

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There WAS no Zander in the great lakes. :giggle::giggle::giggle: Just as at one time there was no smelt, brown trout, rainbow trout, pacific salmon, zebra mussels, quagga mussels, spiny water fleas, sea lampreys (exc. L. Ontario), alewife, goby, ruff,....FM
Not sure what exactly you mean but there is no documented case of any zander being found in lake MI or Michigan in general.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Not sure what exactly you mean but there is no documented case of any zander being found in lake MI or Michigan in general.
Seriously? Exactly what I mean is that until any of the species listed were positively identified as being in the great lakes, nobody said they existed here either. Not being professional Ichthyologists can we say definitively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the pic is not of a small Zander?

Reactions: TriggerDiscipline

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Seriously? Exactly what I mean is that until any of the species listed were positively identified as being in the great lakes, nobody said they existed here either. Not being professional Ichthyologists can we say definitively, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the pic is not of a small Zander?
No its a perch. I mean you can call it what you want but it's most definitely a yellow perch.

641 - 660 of 717 Posts