Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

281 - 300 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The Acme township folks are pretty good about doing things if ya ask them. Their office is right behind the Independent Bank at M-72 and 31. If someone stops by the office, they might take a request to install the dock.
I’ve always got the idea they don’t really care much about the fisherman. I’ve talked with the supervisor, haven’t gotten much enthusiasm out of him. When I brought up fixing the bunker hill boat launch or putting in a turn signal at the light he was not for it. Even when I asked about a group of us fisherman getting together to fix it he put his hands up and started going on about the Army COE and waterlines and just basically blew me off like I was wasting his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
My experiences were different. I asked them to move the BH rocks on the east end to allow for more parking space and they did. They were receptive to the Yuba dock ideas I gave them about how to launch/recover boats quicker on that single lane ramp.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Nick,
I certainly understand and expect that there’s a lot of red tape to get through, but that just means time and effort would be necessary to get anything done and they aren’t willing to contribute anything. That launch has been on their radar years, I remember standing up at the board meeting, maybe 5 years ago, when they considered closing it to make it a kayak only launch.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was hoping to hit the bay soon, but when I was getting the boat ready yesterday I realized my steering was shot. It's been getting hard for a couple years, but it's darn near seized. Diagnosed a bad steering cable and figured I'd replace the helm too, so I'm out of commission a little while longer. Get some reports coming to keep me encouraged.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I was hoping to hit the bay soon, but when I was getting the boat ready yesterday I realized my steering was shot. It's been getting hard for a couple years, but it's darn near seized. Diagnosed a bad steering cable and figured I'd replace the helm too, so I'm out of commission a little while longer. Get some reports coming to keep me encouraged.
Do it now before you get in the situation I was in last year. Broke a steering cable on the water during my atlantic trip in the soo. We had to steer the big motor all week long with the kicker lol

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I hope your replacement job is nothing like mine was. About a half day to get the old one out and even longer to get the new one in. Starcraft never intended to make it easy to replace the cable on my '92 SFM190. If you can afford it go with a good quality hydraulic system.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I hope your replacement job is nothing like mine was. About a half day to get the old one out and even longer to get the new one in. Starcraft never intended to make it easy to replace the cable on my '92 SFM190. If you can afford it go with a good quality hydraulic system.
It took me about a half day to get the cable removed yesterday. A few drilled out rivets will be replaced with screws. I tied a rope to the cable when I removed it with the hope of being able to pull the new one through easier, we'll see though.

As far as the hydraulic steering, it would be nice, but hard to justify on a 26 year old boat. I'm going to stick with the rack and pinion I think. My main question is do I spend the extra money on a helm with tilt (which I currently have)? Or just get a fixed system?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
It took me about a half day to get the cable removed yesterday. A few drilled out rivets will be replaced with screws. I tied a rope to the cable when I removed it with the hope of being able to pull the new one through easier, we'll see though.

As far as the hydraulic steering, it would be nice, but hard to justify on a 26 year old boat. I'm going to stick with the rack and pinion I think. My main question is do I spend the extra money on a helm with tilt (which I currently have)? Or just get a fixed system?
If you use the tilt system you will probably want the new helm to have it unless it makes it ridiculously expensive. A couple tips (forgive me if you already know this)... clean the heck out of the inside of the outboard's tilt tube where the old cable came out of. A shotgun bore brush will sometimes work but be careful not to stuff one that is too big in there and get it stuck (ask me how I know this) because it can be a nightmare getting it back out. Use a good solvent or WD40 to help dislodge surface rust inside that tube and then run patch after patch of cloth to get the excess solvent out. Then spray a decent amount of lithium grease in the tube and apply the same all over the part of the new cable that goes into the tilt tube. I really recommend that you do not use marine grease since this seems to harden over time and from what I've read from many accounts is the main cause of seized steering cables. Anyhow, good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If you use the tilt system you will probably want the new helm to have it unless it makes it ridiculously expensive. A couple tips (forgive me if you already know this)... clean the heck out of the inside of the outboard's tilt tube where the old cable came out of. A shotgun bore brush will sometimes work but be careful not to stuff one that is too big in there and get it stuck (ask me how I know this) because it can be a nightmare getting it back out. Use a good solvent or WD40 to help dislodge surface rust inside that tube and then run patch after patch of cloth to get the excess solvent out. Then spray a decent amount of lithium grease in the tube and apply the same all over the part of the new cable that goes into the tilt tube. I really recommend that you do not use marine grease since this seems to harden over time and from what I've read from many accounts is the main cause of seized steering cables. Anyhow, good luck with it.
Ditto, this is what caused the hard steering and eventual breakage of my cable

·
Registered
691 Posts
Funny you guys mentioned that, I'm currently in the garage cleaning out the tilt tube. I don't know why I didn't think of a bore brush, I'm going to grab one now.
Also, thank you for mentioning the lithium grease. I saw that and marine grade grease so I wasn't sure what to use. Do you think white lithium grease is ok?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Yes. It's what I use from the spray rattle can. Put it on heavy and wipe the excess off tomorrow leaving a heavy film on the exposed section.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Fishing report for today. West bay.
Was looking windy but went for it anyway figuring we might have to tuck in tight to the lee side. Wind forecast was wrong, was beautiful out there and fish were hot as well. Over a dozen lakers and 5 Cisco. Lost at least another dozen fish as well.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Darn John.....you have a black cloud following you.

I drove straight thru yesterday and got in last night. I am finally back in the northern command center. Of course now that I'm back home...the weather guy has bad news.:mad: Tomorrow might be a safe play wind-wise.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It sure has been a long time since I’ve bought a truck! Holy smokes, they sure got expensive! My quest for a new used tow vehicle continues! I absolutely refuse to dump more than 20 grand on a used truck. I’m headed south on the hunt tomorrow. I hate vehicle shopping!!!!!!! End Rant. Carry on.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
John, I don't know what kind of boat truck you're looking for but this one maybe something you're looking for.

The hunting/fishing Ranger 4x4 I got in Daytona is like the one below except mine is a 2000. It pulls the boat real good. I know your boat is a tad bigger than mine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Trucks have shot up like crazy in the last 12 months. I've been looking to make the jump to a 3/4 ton gasser since the current rig is no longer a daily driver. But I refuse to pay 20k for a 10 to 12 year old truck with a ton of miles on it.

281 - 300 of 350 Posts