Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1102 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Love reading these reports! Thanks for sharing guys.

My dad and I used to fish Sleeping Bear Bay and Traverse Bay mid 80’s through early 2000’s. Unfortunately, he’s only with me in spirit now.
I’m in the Glen Arbor area this week with family and have wanted to jig up the lakers I saw on MOOD on Traverse Bay since I saw that episode. From what I can tell, there’s a hump a short run from Mission Point. If that hump is actually the one I see on the chart which is closer to Torch Lake, that’s probably too far.
I’m by myself if in a 17’ with riggers and a reasonable amount of gear and experience, but not looking to stress out or tempt fate.
There’s an encouraging report from Suttons Bay from a poster above. Would the run to this hump be too far from Suttons Bay? Suttons being a backup if I strike out at the hump. Where could I pick up salmon or lakers on Suttons?
Any help is immensely appreciated and if I can reciprocate, I’d be happy to.
PM is great too if you want to keep it quiet.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Water Boat Sky Cloud Vehicle
Water Boat Sky Cloud Vehicle

Early morning trip off Mission Point found some 3' rollers, but lines were snapping. 8 in less than 2 hours with biggest tipping scale at 16#. Riggers and Dipseys set at 100' took all fish over 100' to 120' of water. Lg Blue Spin N Glo with Fly, Green/Orange Double Spin N Glo No Fly, White Spin n Glo w/ Moonshine Magnum Bloody Nose and #1 was Salmon Candy UV Frog with Lg Green Spin N Glo. No Salmon or Steelhead this trip. Light Bite and lost 4 others.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
View attachment 846043 View attachment 846043

Early morning trip off Mission Point found some 3' rollers, but lines were snapping. 8 in less than 2 hours with biggest tipping scale at 16#. Riggers and Dipseys set at 100' took all fish over 100' to 120' of water. Lg Blue Spin N Glo with Fly, Green/Orange Double Spin N Glo No Fly, White Spin n Glo w/ Moonshine Magnum Bloody Nose and #1 was Salmon Candy UV Frog with Lg Green Spin N Glo. No Salmon or Steelhead this trip. Light Bite and lost 4 others.

And that is how you catch Lakers!

Great job. Thanks for the detailed report.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you have a 4WD....maybe check out the ramp at Haserot Park on the east side of the OMP and see if you can do it. There is no dock there so you will be getting your feet wet. Otherwise.....maybe Elk Rapids? Watch out for the nets and winds.
Thanks for the insight, TVCJohn. I have 4wd, and no problem getting wet. But no dock would mean no control. Being solo, that might get tough.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Thanks for the insight, TVCJohn. I have 4wd, and no problem getting wet. But no dock would mean no control. Being solo, that might get tough.

If/when I put my boat in there, I'll push it off the trailer and bring it around to the driver's side of the truck and park it on the beach while I go park the truck. Pretty much the same thing ya do for Bunker Hill.

·
Registered
782 Posts
View attachment 846043 View attachment 846043

Good job!
Weatherman screwed the pooch on the wind forecast. What time did it finally lay down? Sat in the parking lot in ER for a couple hours waiting but never happened. I don't have a problem with 3 footers but there's no way to keep my Minnkota on spot lock to jig. Motor would be out of the water more than in. Need an extra long shaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice job. Sweet rig—is that radar on a pontoon boat?
Yes on the radar...Couple of items on the bucket list include trip across the big pond and one from Leelenau to Port Huron. Don't know if or when, but they are on the list!
Good job!
Weatherman screwed the pooch on the wind forecast. What time did it finally lay down? Sat in the parking lot in ER for a couple hours waiting but never happened. I don't have a problem with 3 footers but there's no way to keep my Minnkota on spot lock to jig. Motor would be out of the water more than in. Need an extra long shaft.
Laid down when we were done fishing at 9:00 and had a decent trip back to Suttons Bay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not I. Headed up this weekend but marine forecast says I might be working around the house instead of fishing. Was out 2 weeks ago in similar conditions and it wasn’t fun.

LMZ323-050330-
Grand Traverse Bay south of a line Grand Traverse Light to
Norwood MI-
326 PM EDT Thu Aug 4 2022

.TONIGHT...East wind 5 to 10 knots. Mostly clear. Waves 2 feet or
less.
.FRIDAY...Light winds. Sunny. Waves 2 feet or less.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...South wind 5 to 10 knots. Mostly clear. Waves
2 feet or less.
.SATURDAY...Southwest wind 10 to 15 knots with gusts to around
20 knots. Mostly sunny. Waves 2 feet or less.

See the open lakes forecast for days 3 through 5.

1021 - 1040 of 1102 Posts